Wonderer
  • 96 posts
  • 31 thanks
  • 9 topics
  • Local time: 03:00 PM
  • My Blood Type:O+
  • Philippines:Visited 6 to 9 trips

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:57 PM

Last September my father-in-law died and I travelled with my now ex-wife to Iloilo for the burial and funeral. We recently divorced for a variety of reasons but her handling of money was one of the main problems in the marriage. While in Iloilo I asked her to maintain a spreasheet so that we could track the costs and she refused. Due to the sensitivity of the situation I didnt press her but did ask for the cost of items as time progressed. The funeral home was owned by a "family friend" and supposedly the family was offered a good deal of 110,000 pesos for preparation of the body, viewing and burial. The funeral home consisted of one room with old plastic furniture (the kind you see commonly used for patio furniture) and two couches and a small comfort room. The body was there for three days and then moved to St. Paul's Church for another 4 days of viewing. I was told that the Church was $100 a day plus another 1,000 pesos if we opted to use the air conditioner. The burial plot at the local Catholic Cemetery was 89,000 pesos which I thought at the time was exhorbitantly high since it did not come with perpertual care of the plot and located in a third world country. Every time we were at any place English was never spoken and I could not understand what was being said. I had always suspected my wife of being dishonest with funds and I saw red flags everywhere. There was a lot of drama with the passing of her Father and I did not want to add to her stress at the time with persistent questioning. Her sister lives in Japan and was contributing to the costs and I wanted to ensure some equity of the financial burden. To this day I dont know what her contributions were. I supsect that I paid a disproportionate share of the cost. Four of her five brothers contributed nothing at all and had to taken clothes shopping to have somehting to wear for the funeral. I'm posting this to see if my suspicions about being taken adavantage of are correct. Thanks for all replies.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Admin

#2 For Real

For Real

Humble Pie

• Sponsor
  • 3,524 posts
  • 1344 thanks
  • 94 topics
  • Local time: 05:00 AM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:05 PM

Costs vary, I remember less than 110 for all up costs...but it was not in the same location same hospital, burial etc etc.

You may have been 'leveraged' a little bit (were you already separated at the time of death? If yes you are a baddie anyway), good on you for looking after the real emergency...peace of mind is most likely to come if you put this...and your divorce behind you
Posted Image

Thanked by 1 Member:
Wonderer

#3 Wonderer

Wonderer
  • 96 posts
  • 31 thanks
  • 9 topics
  • Local time: 03:00 PM
  • Philippines:Visited 6 to 9 trips

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:32 PM

Costs vary, I remember less than 110 for all up costs...but it was not in the same location same hospital, burial etc etc.

You may have been 'leveraged' a little bit (were you already separated at the time of death? If yes you are a baddie anyway), good on you for looking after the real emergency...peace of mind is most likely to come if you put this...and your divorce behind you

We were not separated at the time. I only recently decided to pull the plug on the relationship.

Thanked by 1 Member:
usahay malipayo

#4 Bundy

Bundy

Bugger!

• Sponsor
  • 386 posts
  • 185 thanks
  • 24 topics
  • Local time: 07:00 AM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:55 PM

Have asked the missus about this. ( my father-in-law passed away late last year and we paid for everything).
I can only relate to the costs in Talisay Cebu, but from what you are saying, no you were not scammed.
We paid around 100,000 but that did not include the burial plot as that was already in the family. Also we did not have the church (viewing) fees as the casket was at home for 9 days prior to the funeral service.

I agree with Usahay Malipayon. No good brooding over it now, just move on.

Best of luck.

Edited by Bundy, 02 August 2011 - 03:56 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Wonderer

#5 UZI

UZI
  • Banned
  • 4,422 posts
  • 2488 thanks
  • 446 topics
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:29 PM

I suggest you read this THREAD and work it out for yourself.

#6 USMC-Retired

USMC-Retired

You can't trust the internet

• +Global Mod
  • 9,092 posts
  • 2966 thanks
  • 1,099 topics
  • My Blood Type:A+

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:19 PM

Look did you get scammed maybe maybe not. Does it really matter. It seems money was tight then but in the end everyone was ok and grieved. Funerals take their toll on everyone and unscrupulous people will take advantage of it. Just so you understand my Aunt's costs were close to 175,000 pesos for the burial of our Uncle and they owned the plot. She is a smart business lady and do not think she was took.

Again it happen a while ago let it go. You did what had to be done and will be thanked in the future for it. Karma is a devilish thing.

Edited by Norseman, 02 August 2011 - 05:20 PM.

• Mike Bannister likes this

Thanked by 2 Members:
fanboat , Ozepete

#7 RickyL

RickyL
  • Elite Member
  • 731 posts
  • 228 thanks
  • 54 topics
  • My Blood Type:A+
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:55 PM

A foreigner was buried around 2 months ago, the costs were 75,000 for the lot and total was 200k, maybe a little more.

#8 caloy

caloy
  • Sponsor
  • 1,049 posts
  • 76 thanks
  • 13 topics

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:29 PM

It depends. Actually here in Cebu if you wanna buy a lot in a private cemetery it will cost around 200,000.

But I think it was quiet expensive for you to spend that much for preparation of the body and 3 day wake at your friend's funeral home. That amount could be enough for a week in St. Peter in Cebu (just like where Big Rob is). We spent 120,000 (this includes the coffin) for everything when my wife's grandma passed away last June and it was saint peter with 24 hour aircon, wifi, and 1 bedroom accommodation with toilet and bath. The room also has a refrigerator . Funeral homes give discount if the one who died was a senior citizen. If your in-law was also a member of SSS or GSIS, there is some sort of burial assistance. I just do not know the rates in Ilo-Ilo to be sure if you are scammed.

Edited by caloy, 02 August 2011 - 06:31 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Admin

#9 Athena

Athena
  • Sponsor
  • 2,275 posts
  • 1191 thanks
  • 102 topics
  • Local time: 06:00 AM
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:43 PM

Based on the OP’s description, Id day he was scammed big time. But as already been said, the deed is done ………
no use crying over spilt milk ………

Thanked by 1 Member:
Norseman

#10 UZI

UZI
  • Banned
  • 4,422 posts
  • 2488 thanks
  • 446 topics

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:45 PM

A foreigner was buried around 2 months ago, the costs were 75,000 for the lot and total was 200k, maybe a little more.

This wasn't a foreigner though.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea