Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

A Culture of Corruption?

There's been a lot of discussions on corruption here including very recently and I've been thinking about it. I think there are a number of factors for it. We, most of us expats, come here from relatively corruption free societies. Or at least corruption free on the worker bee level. We don't have to slip a few bucks to the jerk at the license bureau to get a license in a reasonable time or without some of the annoying things like tests, getting something shipped across country and it actually getting there doesn't require tipping the mailman, notary services are free or at least cheap and not based on the amount of the transaction, and handing the cop 3 or 4 bucks with your drivers license is a quick trip to jail. Here, we're in a whole new world and it's point blank in our faces. We ask, why do these people put up with this?

Well, I think it's mainly because it has been a part of their culture since birth. This is the way things get done and if you don't want to play then it can be hard on you.

I think they also see the plus side to corruption. In the west if someone says "you can't do that because of this rule" that's it, you can't do that unless there is some vehicle for a waiver or something. Here, you pay a tip and then suddenly it's ok to break that rule. I'm not saying it's a good thing but that's the way it is. You and I know it's better the other way but since the people here haven't experienced the other way you're going to have a hard time changing it.

So the Marcoses and Eraps of this country will continue to get reelected to our complete amazement even convicted of corruption because the people assume they are all corrupt so that doesn't even seem to be a campaign issue. If your life was a bit better under this guy you'll vote for him.

:yourock:

Edited by SkyMan

All people are corrupt every where in the world....if they think they can get away with it.many a man has taken what he thinks is his fair share of money.Why look how the american Lawyers are leading the way?

ps....bye the way...when is the last time you found a hundred dollar bill on the floor....and looked for the owner?:yourock:

ps....bye the way...when is the last time you found a hundred dollar bill on the floor....and looked for the owner?:yourock:

Lots of people still do

Is it corruption, ignorance, low self esteem, or some combination thereof......................How can a predominantly Roman Catholic country, the RP,( and many other countries) go to church on Sunday, enjoy and participate in its holidays, holy days,,, and yet descend into the cold blooded, thieving practices, and other various crimes that exist...............How does that happen?

I am Roman Catholic, and I will be the first to say ............ROME, the Vatican and the the Holy Father is ,,,,,,and has been for centuries,,,,dubious! Like most religions, they seek a following, but are never measured on the results of their teachings.

Edited by Mr. Mike

Is it corruption, ignorance, low self esteem, or some combination thereof......................How can a predominantly Roman Catholic country go to church on Sunday, enjoy and participate in its holidays, and yet descend into the cold blooded, thieving practices that exist...............How does that happen?

I am Roman Catholic, and I will be the first to say ............ROME, the Vatican and the the Holy Father is ,,,,,,and has been for centuries,,,,dubious!

A seaman sends money to his daughter to buy the family a car-and she gets the seller to issue a bogus sales slip for more than the real cost- thats not " thou shall not steal" - its just the the culture

Many many married guys have gfs on the side- thats not " thou shall not commit adultery"= its just the culture

Thou shall not covet thy neighbours house/suv etc - most people here do that big time- but thats not coveting- its just the culture

I agree with you Mr Mike -

I guess it will be hard for me Skyman because I will do just like Elinel and do everything by the book here. I am no hero either.

They're all thieving bastards.

I heard a Yank make a rather outrageous statement once, although I admit I laughed at the time... He reckons he could fix the corruption problem in the Philippines in one foul swoop by shooting everyone over 10 years old and starting again!

I reckoned back that it was a waste of time coz by 10 years old, it was already way too late.

Is it corruption, ignorance, low self esteem, or some combination thereof......................How can a predominantly Roman Catholic country, the RP, go to church on Sunday, enjoy and participate in its holidays, and yet descend into the cold blooded, thieving practices that exist...............How does that happen?

I am Roman Catholic, and I will be the first to say ............ROME, the Vatican and the the Holy Father is ,,,,,,and has been for centuries,,,,dubious!

They're all thieving bastards.

I heard a Yank make a rather outrageous statement once, although I admit I laughed at the time... He reckons he could fix the corruption problem in the Philippines in one foul swoop by shooting everyone over 10 years old and starting again!

I reckoned back that it was a waste of time coz by 10 years old, it was already way too late.

yeah i had to read lord of the flies in school too

A seaman sends money to his daughter to buy the family a car-and she gets the seller to issue a bogus sales slip for more than the real cost- thats not " thou shall not steal" - its just the the culture

Many many married guys have gfs on the side- thats not " thou shall not commit adultery"= its just the culture

Thou shall not covet thy neighbours house/suv etc - most people here do that big time- but thats not coveting- its just the culture

I agree with you Mr Mike -

The reason Catholics break their own rules is because they don't believe there is a heaven...... Why would anyone steal and commit adultery knowing the result will be everlasting damnation??

The catholic faith is just culture.....they don't believe in it.