Sign in to follow this  
CMR

Multiple issues with BI7

We all know and most of us have seen the corruption issues involving the Mandaue office immigration. There are a bunch of issues coming to a head now. I will contact BI on or before Tuesday Aug 22 to determine the status of Ma. Castro's work.

Prosecutor Castro who was assigned to BI7 after getting in political and behavioral trouble in the prosecutors office has now been relieved of duties at BI. Also the entire BI office is now being investigated for a bunch of reasons. Please note that I am not implying that Ma. Castro's problems at BI involved the corruption at BI.

...report from a BI staff member corroborated this.

It is allegedly called a

Who is the head of Cebu Immigration now?

And the latest on the BI7 corruption inquiry:

CEBU CITY -- Human trafficking happens at the Bureau of Immigration (BI) 7, said Justice Secretary Raul Gonzalez Sr.

Assistant Cebu City Prosecutor Mary Ann Castro is also being investigated for alleged "meddling" in the bureau's affairs.

"Nagiging tilang extortion ang lumalabas sa ibang arrests (Some arrests seem to involve extortion)," he said.

He said controversies are not just happening in Region 7. In other regions, some agents were already penalized and relieved.

Castro, Gonzalez revealed, is among those being investigated.

"We are now looking into that but...Castro is, of course, just there (detailed at the BI 7), she is not supposed to meddle with the real business of the bureau," said Gonzalez.

But Castro is unaware of such investigation.

She told Sun.Star Cebu that she has not received any memorandum from the secretary to explain anything.

"That (meddling) is hearsay because, in the first place, I never conducted or engaged in any operation of the bureau," she told Sun.Star Cebu.

Castro was detailed at the bureau last November to assist in handling administrative cases as well as conduct investigations and hearings for visa applicants.

Individuals here have confirmed to me that Ma. Castro and her asistant GingGing (who is not a legal employee of BI7) helped to handle their immigration case. I myself have dealt with both of them in the course of doing normal business at BI7. So I take her "never conducted" with a huge grain of salt.

And just to add to the mess read the following:

BI 7: Castro behind smear campaign

Intelligence Officer Ferdinand Balbuena showed documents on the case against Indian national Jasbir Singh and his wife, Lucille Mendoza-Singh to prove that Castro knew the two, contrary to her statements to the media.

Balbuena said Castro and Lucille even followed Jasbir to Manila and both took a Cebu Pacific flight.

The real point here is not which high official is corrupt but is a lesson to all members here who are depending on contacts and connections to protect themselves. What do you do when your patron is the one in trouble and when you become a pawn in high level political fighting. It doesn't matter if your patron is the R7 chief PNP (he was relieved once already) or the R7 chief Maritime PNP (probably on the way to being relieved) or the R7 Chief TMG (under investigation for illegal arms dealings with an Aussie national) or a regional prosecutor or a mayor or even a senator (arrest warrants out for some of those too)

I have seen several Kano brag about family members being colonels or generals but some officers of that rank are getting arrested and retired ones dragged out of their houses and evicted onto the street.

Don't count on political pals or connections because your trial and deportation might be the weapon of choice for their enemies. And when that happens your pals will be just like Ma Castro is with this Indian national and deny even knowing you.

And just to add to the mess read the following:

BI 7: Castro behind smear campaign

Intelligence Officer Ferdinand Balbuena showed documents on the case against Indian national Jasbir Singh and his wife, Lucille Mendoza-Singh to prove that Castro knew the two, contrary to her statements to the media.

Balbuena said Castro and Lucille even followed Jasbir to Manila and both took a Cebu Pacific flight.

The real point here is not which high official is corrupt but is a lesson to all members here who are depending on contacts and connections to protect themselves. What do you do when your patron is the one in trouble and when you become a pawn in high level political fighting. It doesn't matter if your patron is the R7 chief PNP (he was relieved once already) or the R7 chief Maritime PNP (probably on the way to being relieved) or the R7 Chief TMG (under investigation for illegal arms dealings with an Aussie national) or a regional prosecutor or a mayor or even a senator (arrest warrants out for some of those too)

I have seen several Kano brag about family members being colonels or generals but some officers of that rank are getting arrested and retired ones dragged out of their houses and evicted onto the street.

Don't count on political pals or connections because your trial and deportation might be the weapon of choice for their enemies. And when that happens your pals will be just like Ma Castro is with this Indian national and deny even knowing you.

are you sure generals are out? dang oh well guess i will have to start using the old seat belt now that i know i am all alone out there..

are you sure generals are out? dang oh well guess i will have to start using the old seat belt now that i know i am all alone out there..

Even presidents here are not high enough to keep you safe. In fact the higher your patro the more likely his/her enemies are to use your foibles as a political weapon.

I dunno... I'm not saying there isn't corruption but...

I've only done the normal tourist visa bit... so I don't know about residency cards and what not...

On that note, I just went thru three years worth of receipts for extensions etc. ...and could find no such anomolies in my receipts... normal charges are always on one page... and itemized... and when I used express - then there is a seperate receipt clearly marked - stamped AND signed actually...!

They have always been on the official bureau forms... I even went so far as to lay them all out and check for oddities in the paper / printing... along with anomolies between the numbering of the receipts... and nothing suspicious at all...

So I've never had any problems... but I've always arrived early / at opening... always shown up dressed properly... never paid a 'fixer' - never had to... and just waited in line like everyone else for the 40 ~ 60 minutes required...

If I were to take a guess - and again this is concerning extensions / express lane fees / and such... this is probably dealing with the foreigners who come in and give money to someone thru the side door to the processor / cashier's cage... there are ALWAYS 2 or 3 that I see in my short stay there... and them getting 'scammed'... but hey - imho - they brought in on themselves...

On the topic of knowing people in high places...

I tend to lean towards the normal 'working man' of the scale... and prefer getting to know the regular guards... the cleaning personnel... and so forth... and have actually been berated by both foreigns and Filipinos for doing this ( i.e. why am I socializing with people outside of my 'class' )... but the truth is I typically enjoy their company more... AND... you don't have to worry about 'powerful' friends getting into trouble.... AND... you would be absolutely amazed at the things these people know... everything from what / when / etc. a kano / tourist did something... to which local officials are under investigation... lol

Michael

... I just went thru three years worth of receipts for extensions etc. ...and could find no such anomolies in my receipts... normal charges are always on one page... and itemized... and when I used express - then there is a seperate receipt clearly marked - stamped AND signed actually...!

Except for my dealings with a BI agent named Jun, same here.

They have always been on the official bureau forms... I even went so far as to lay them all out and check for oddities in the paper / printing... along with anomolies between the numbering of the receipts... and nothing suspicious at all...

Mind you the trick of reusing visa numbers would not be visible to us. Only if you got stopped and the record didn''t match the official one would we find out.

So I've never had any problems... but I've always arrived early / at opening... always shown up dressed properly... never paid a 'fixer' - never had to... and just waited in line like everyone else for the 40 ~ 60 minutes required...

If I were to take a guess - and again this is concerning extensions / express lane fees / and such... this is probably dealing with the foreigners who come in and give money to someone thru the side door to the processor / cashier's cage... there are ALWAYS 2 or 3 that I see in my short stay there... and them getting 'scammed'... but hey - imho - they brought in on themselves...

100% agree.

On the topic of knowing people in high places...

I tend to lean towards the normal 'working man' of the scale... and prefer getting to know the regular guards... the cleaning personnel... and so forth... and have actually been berated by both foreigns and Filipinos for doing this ( i.e. why am I socializing with people outside of my 'class' )... but the truth is I typically enjoy their company more... AND... you don't have to worry about 'powerful' friends getting into trouble.... AND... you would be absolutely amazed at the things these people know... everything from what / when / etc. a kano / tourist did something... to which local officials are under investigation... lol

Michael

No one has ever scoffed at me for being friendly to all pinoy regardless of so called class. I have yet to ask for a favor from any high official and the many Pinoy at the working levels always try to make things easier.

Sign in to follow this  

• Commercial Banner Advertisers

• Adsbygoogle

Advert