• Announcements

• Paul

New Members: Click Here   03/09/2017

Hello. If you are a new member, and feel a bit apprehensive about posting in the "open" forums, or, just wish to get your "sea legs" prior to posting in the open forums, feel free to post anything you wish to talk about, in the Newbies Forum. No one will bother you, or give you any sort of grief. Everyone there is happy to help you get answers to your questions.
  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KID1308948824

Home brewing - laws and regs

20 posts in this topic

Ok... so another question...

One of my hobbies is actually home brewing... that is, making my own different types of beer... especially darker / stout varieties... and occassionaly when the fancy hits me like to try my hand at wine...

Now - it seems like every country has different laws / regulations covering this type of activity... some not allowing it at all... some only allowing it if you are creating ( a limited amount of ) product for personal use... and some just don't care...

So my question is... can anyone point me to the regs ( if any ) for the Philippines... I did a cursory search and couldn't find anything pertinent... and figure its ok since folks make and drink 'tooba' / 'tuba' / however its spelled all over the place... but want to make certain...

Taking it a BIT further...

Once upon a time... I did build a reflux still ( if you don't know what that is - its just a type still ) to make a bunch of brandies and rums... and even though the final products weren't the greatest in the world... I had a lot of fun doing it... so... anyone know the regs on that side of things too...

Again... all this is just small quantities for personal use... I'm not planning on competing with San Mig Brewery or the Tanduay folks... ;-)

Michael

do a little brewing my self mlampkin, prefer mostly dark lagers. my brother inlaw works for sanmiguel beer company. i sent him a quart of homebrew a year or so ago. He bugs the crap out of me wanting more :wink:

for personal use... I don't think anyone will care unless your still blows up. In fact, you'll be the star of the neighborhood if you can make your own rum.

Potential explosions are the reason for using a reflux style still... with that type ( properly built ) the tower actually has little to no pressure on it... and it does the equivalent of two stage distillation in a single stage... so there are none / fewer of the hazards of a second distillation step of a solution already containing 50% or so alcohol that you have with many other set ups...

I don't know though... I could just see doing it in the Philippines... having folks trying to figure out what the heck the crazy kano was doing... and then having a good laugh when it went 'boom' - as long as it was a small boom... lol

Michael

Now - it seems like every country has different laws / regulations covering this type of activity... some not allowing it at all... some only allowing it if you are creating ( a limited amount of ) product for personal use... and some just don't care...

The Philippines falls into the later category.

My wife and I made some Mango liquer. It tasted marvelous. I can recommend it! Its really simple. Buy some cheap vodka in the store and poor over the cut up and cleaned mango. After a few days take the mangos out and add sugar water untill preferred strength. Leave it for a couple of weeks.

My wife and her relatives really liked it and checked out with the city the possibilities for making mango liquer on a commercial scale. The permits needed and stuff. The aswer was surprisingly "NO!" We needed to get permission from San Miguel if we wanted to use their liquer. So we couldnt get permit for making mango liquer that way. Their attitude was more or less: Make the liquer your self you lazy a**!

So I dont think there is a probleme making liquer or brewing beer down here :lol:

Sounds good...

If I do this when I get back... I guess I'm going to have to figure out where to buy molasses ( bulk ) if I decide towards rum... but I don't suspect it will be too hard to find... and even if it is... there is always rice, rice and more rice and the flavored vodka / neutral spirit route.. not to mention distilling tuba...

I hadn't really thought of it along the lines of commercial production of any type... especially when it comes to the base alcohol production... the home stills that I have built ( and seen ) are fairly small and limited ( 4 ~ 6 liters / hr ) production... but for a boutique-ish type of product line might work...

If you are interested I can point you to a couple websites that have plans for a variety of still etc. types... there are quite a few out there but some I know from expeience have designs that actually work ;-)

Michael

You might have an easier time making rum from sugarcane juice rather than molasses. I think the bulk molasses in Cebu is spoken for and probably inconsistent.

BTW, please forward me the website URL's. I'm gonna be there in a month and will have lots of free time.

thanks

Some links:

Basic page showing a couple reflux designs... but a bit light on some details:

http://www.moonshine-still.com/

Probably the best one out there... different recipes ... different still designs... explanations of operation... etc.:

http://homedistiller.org/

Plans / diagrams for various stills can be found ( directly ) under:

http://homedistiller.org/image/

One of the designs I used... under that images directory:

http://homedistiller.org/image/drawing_09%20double%20reducer%20DR.jpg

Changes I made to this design were...

* added a temperature sensor at the base of the column so I could read the pure steam temp...

* moved the pressure fitting for the temp sensor lower ( but still above the 'packing' )...

* where they show the 'drip' on the right hand side and the 'old' thermometer coupling... those were replaced with valves... and connected to a short wide ( 4 " ) horizontally oriented pipe... w/ one side sealed using a copper cap and the other side with glass... and which contained a drain valve...

That last item was ( my reasoning ) it allowed me to view / control the reflux of the system when desired instead of relying on a simple 'overflow' mechanism... it also seemd to make it easier to draw off the first / bad components of the distillation process while the ( lower end of the ) column was getting up to proper temperature for good reflux operation i.e. you don't need to be 'at temp' to get those components...

I think one of the reasons I found it fun was that you can play with the designs ( within reason ) like I did... and there are lots of variations... none of which are really correct or incorrect... I mean - you CAN go wrong but its actually fairly hard...

Michael

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Commercial Banner Advertisers

• Adsbygoogle

Advert