Sign in to follow this  
shamgod41

Xoom sucks so....????

Even though I've had good experiences with them, their rates have gone up, minimum remittance amount increased and everyone says they suck. So who then for sending money from USA to Phils?

MoneyGram or ML Kwarta Padala if there is a branch near you. Try the local Filipino food shops!

MoneyGram or ML Kwarta Padala if there is a branch near you. Try the local Filipino food shops!

Is M Lhuillier in the US now? (No, not joking. This is a serious inquiry.)

I agree, otherwise, with MoneyGram.

Is M Lhuillier in the US now? (No, not joking. This is a serious inquiry.)

I agree, otherwise, with MoneyGram.

http://www.mlhuillierinc.com/news/news.asp?intSeq=79

M.Lhuillier Ties Up With U.S Money Transfer Giant Wells Fargo Bank

2011216_132635_ML_WellsFargo.jpg

THE new M. Lhullier Financial Services at Amar Plaza in West Covina.

Edited by broden

Michael is a VERY shrewd businessman. He's hit a home run with this one!!!

I have used xoom for the last 18 months with no problems. The ease and convenience of sending money far out weighs the cost. I went to the PI in May and was able to send money to my friend for our use while there at predetermined dates. I tried to use remit home but it was a hassle to set up. I am satisfied.

Xoom's rates have actually gone done. Assuming you're using your bank account, the fee went from $4.99 to $7.99 and is now back at $5.99. The exchange rate could be better as it's usually about 1P off. But, I've used xoom many times and it works great. Definitely the most convenient.

The reason so many of us are against Xoom, is that they just dumped us for no apparent reason - I used them for at least a year - and then I was told that my account was closed and I could not contact customer support to ask why. I filed a complaint with the BBB in San Francisco - I exchanged emails with the BBB and Xoom for a couple of weeks and just gave up - it is there business.... but during that time I found many many here on LinC and other sites that had the same complaints about them -

Yes they are very easy to use, reasonable, timely - but be prepared for the day they drop you for no reason.

I had no problem at all in setting up an account with Remit Home - but I would recommend them for transferring between established accounts - like I transfer between my account in the US and my wife's account at BPI - if you are sending to multiple friends - Western Union is good or the other sites people have already recommended.

Good Luck

I've been using moneygram for some time with no problems

We have been on the receiving end of Xoom, Western Union, and Moneygram for years, often recieving several payments per month from each. Moneygram and Western Union have always been, and remain, completely stress free and trouble free.

Xoom, on the other hand, was a major source of problems and stress to us for years. They had a very poor collection outlet system set up, when one could only collect from Cebuana Lluilier and PCI bank (now BDO). It almost always took a minimum of two hours sitting in a pawnshop or the bank to collect. Often it would take 4-6 hours (an entire day!). Sometimes it would take 2 days. A few times we lost business because we were unable to collect the fee in time to complete the service. Once we had to travel 3 hours one way because a pawnshop collected it that had no authority to, after days of phone calls to Manila (at our expense). For years we had major problems in collecting Xoom payments, but continued to do so because some clients insisted on using it. More than one of those clients changed their mind about how good Xoom was after experiencing first hand what we had to go through almost every time with them.

Then a year and a half ago they added M LLuilier to their list of collection places. All our problems collecting on Xoom payments stopped immediately. To this day, however, we recommend Moneygram or Western Union, due to our past problems with collecting Xoom payments. As far as I am concerned, XOOM STILL SUCKS!!!

I will be very interested to see how this works regarding Wells Fargo + M Luillier. Sounds like a match made in heaven to me. M Luillier is a very well run establishment.

Larry in Dumaguete