Paitonboy
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 9 topics
  • Local time: 01:38 AM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:29 AM

Just returned from Cebu, and visited a few used car dealers. These guys are a minefield in the best of places, but the Philippines............

Do any list members have any dealers that they have dealt with and whom they can recommend as honest and trustworthy?

We're moving over in mid-July and need to get wheels for a family of 6 quickly!

John

#2 Ilovecebu

Ilovecebu
  • Inactive Member
  • 1,349 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 463 topics
  • Local time: 04:38 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:11 AM

MOST Used car dealers here are low life sharks and will lie, like a Persian rug to sell you a vehicle, WOW just like in the USA.

IMO I suggest to look for a "CASA MAINTANED " vehicle here. I bought my SUV from a lady Dr. in cebu 3 years ago and have never had a problem with it.

You can also go to Auto loan managers in cebu. They know what local is selling their vehicle, to buy a new / newer model. James at I Bank at the mango branch is the one I refer my friends to.

Keep in mind that here, they will tell you a vehicle is a 2001 model, but they go by the year it was registered in the Philippines, NOT the year it was built. Also be careful with surpus vehicles that were converted from right hand to left hand steering wheels

#3 Bet_Busta

Bet_Busta
  • Elite Member
  • 1,465 posts
  • 154 thanks
  • 17 topics
  • Local time: 12:38 AM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:41 AM

Also be careful with surpus vehicles that were converted from right hand to left hand steering wheels

Most convert by cutting the parts and re-connecting.

I know of a dealer who converts by buying the conversion kit from U.S. Most surplus
japanese cars here hve a US left-hand drive version.

#4 carpenter3Echo

carpenter3Echo

poser patrol

• Inactive Member
  • 88 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 3 topics

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:47 AM

im a local and i refuse to buy used for reasons like...a friend went to buy a galant only finding out the car hasnt been fully paid by the owner to the first owner of the car thus not having the papers with him and all that. plus used cars may have been repaired from major damage and all frankly i will never trust a used car. too many complications specially for you guys =) id suggest brandnew i also suggest isuzu mandaue dealership. here in the philippines its the right choice choice for me....very well built engine and low fuel consumption. if you go to isuzu mandaue look for monica my car agant she is very pleasant and well not bad looking as well hehehehe dont go for the guy agents all they care about is selling, i can call my agent for anything and she is more happy to take ur concerns. when u go there tell her i recommended her say jon belen she knows me as i recently just purchased a good pick up truck from her

OT: for those driving an izusu trooper you may wanna sell that crap. some troopers have factory defective engines and i dont think you wanna end up spending changing your intercoolers and shelling out 150k peosos for it. sell it but a new one. troopers with 4jx1 engines have been recalled and lawsuits filed. save yourself from the hassles of it. =)

#5 smokey

smokey
  • Elite Member
  • 23,136 posts
  • 3881 thanks
  • 878 topics
  • Local time: 09:38 AM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:15 AM

Just returned from Cebu, and visited a few used car dealers. These guys are a minefield in the best of places, but the Philippines............

Do any list members have any dealers that they have dealt with and whom they can recommend as honest and trustworthy?

We're moving over in mid-July and need to get wheels for a family of 6 quickly!
John

in the last 3 years i have bought 3 surplus cars from Hilton and have had no problems with service they take longer to fix but i was happy with each one... I also bought a new car from Chevy and while i like the car its value dropped the min. it was off the lot... Example i bought a 2004 for 715,000 and now its worth only about 400,000p

#6 World Traveller

World Traveller
  • Inactive Member
  • 223 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 16 topics

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:52 PM

I have the task of trying to get a used car in Cebu and to be honest i am not looking forward with some many dodgy cars & dealers about.

I wish i could get a new one but hey thats life.My employers might give me 100,000 or 200,000 pesos would i get anything worth talking about for that price?

#7 smokey

smokey
  • Elite Member
  • 23,136 posts
  • 3881 thanks
  • 878 topics
  • Local time: 09:38 AM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:58 PM

I have the task of trying to get a used car in Cebu and to be honest i am not looking forward with some many dodgy cars & dealers about.

I wish i could get a new one but hey thats life.My employers might give me 100,000 or 200,000 pesos would i get anything worth talking about for that price?

a rebuilt Nissan March ... auto, air con , power windows , power mirror cost us 160,000 p two months ago...from Hilton motors if interested i will get you phone number,, car took two weeks to finish.. some are already pre finished..

#8 World Traveller

World Traveller
  • Inactive Member
  • 223 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 16 topics

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:51 PM

a rebuilt Nissan March ... auto, air con , power windows , power mirror cost us 160,000 p two months ago...from Hilton motors if interested i will get you phone number,, car took two weeks to finish.. some are already pre finished..

Robert i will give you a shout when i get the money for a car so i can check the Nissan out!!!

#9 cebuexpat

cebuexpat
  • Elite Member
  • 114 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • 17 topics
  • Local time: 04:38 AM

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:16 PM

I have a very good friend that can get hold of 'used' vehicles from Japan; some are original left-hand drive some are converted.
Purchased an original left-hand drive Ford 4 x 4 myself that is 9 years old and it has been totally reliable.
I wont post his details here but if you want his number send me an email: cebuexpat2002@yahoo.com

By the way, I also purchased several converted Hyundai's from a Korean source two years ago and never had any major problems.

#10 micawber

micawber
  • Inactive Member
  • 172 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 35 topics

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:50 AM

I have a very good friend that can get hold of 'used' vehicles from Japan; some are original left-hand drive some are converted.
Purchased an original left-hand drive Ford 4 x 4 myself that is 9 years old and it has been totally reliable.
I wont post his details here but if you want his number send me an email: cebuexpat2002@yahoo.com

By the way, I also purchased several converted Hyundai's from a Korean source two years ago and never had any major problems.

The short version is; you can't trust any of them!
If you're dealing with a II hand car dealer, bring a qualified mechanic!
A good one is "Dodong", the foreman at at Ken's car clinic,
right next to the SRP road junction.
He's an outstanding mechanic, and he's a decent man to deal with.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea