• Sponsor
  • 101 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • 35 topics
  • Local time: 05:10 AM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Visited 6 to 9 trips

Posted 22 December 2010 - 3:50 AM

Was wondering if anyone knows anything about a local orphanage and collecting for Christmas....

#2 Paul

Paul

Culture Shock

• +Founder
  • 34,367 posts
  • 7706 thanks
  • 4,054 topics
  • Local time: 04:10 AM
  • My Blood Type:AB+
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 22 December 2010 - 3:56 AM

Jack,

Over the years, I have supported several orphanages.
However, I found that, over time, corruption is alive and well in these organizations.

So, I just started doing things on my own, without going through any orphanage.

At least now, there is no doubt as to where the money is going and how it is spent.

I see it all.
  • jtmwatchbiz likes this

Thanked by 4 Members:
jtmwatchbiz , Jack , Steve , Malipayon Puti

#3 Andy Williams

Andy Williams
  • Inactive Member
  • 36 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • 2 topics
  • Local time: 07:10 AM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 22 December 2010 - 4:28 AM

Missionaries of Charity
1979 Pasil: Brgy. Suba, Pasil, Cebu
Tel #: 261 9197

Missionaries of Charity

Give gifts, not cash. Best if you can be their for the giving so you know it goes to the kids. (No insinuating anything, just cautious)

Thanked by 3 Members:
jtmwatchbiz , Jack , Malipayon Puti

#4 mpt1947

mpt1947

EX LinC Ass Kisser

• +Forum Mod
  • 3,183 posts
  • 1563 thanks
  • 159 topics
  • Local time: 08:10 PM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 22 December 2010 - 6:35 AM

Prior to leaving Minnesota for Cebu (July 2010) I met some people from Roseville and Princeton Minnesota, that supported an orphanage here in Cebu - they seemed reputable - I can't find any information on my computer about them - I will continue to look.

One thing I remember is that they aren't looking for Cash donations - they are looking for Computers, Software - doesn't have to be current like Windows 7 - XP or the other version in between. Mac Software etc.

But I agree with others here - if you find an orphanage, if at all possible be there when the distribute the gifts.

I will see what I can find on this particular one and post when I can.

Mike

Thanked by 1 Member:
Jack

#5 KennyF

KennyF

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

• Opal Sponsor
  • 6,010 posts
  • 1534 thanks
  • 258 topics

Posted 22 December 2010 - 9:55 AM

I get the feeling that orphanages in capital cities probably don't need your help anyway.
What about buying 100 pairs of child slippers and take them out to the provinces.
I think LinC does that sort of thing anyway.

KinP

Thanked by 1 Member:
Jack

#6 Cary

Cary
  • Elite
  • 4,876 posts
  • 1731 thanks
  • 2,257 topics
  • Local time: 04:10 AM
  • My Blood Type:O+
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:00 AM

My wife and I volunteer at a local orphanage here in Manila. We were introduced to it by one of her co-workers. And I agree its best to give them supplies than cash. I say this not because of corruption but because they are poorly staffed and they have little to nothing to give to the children. So if you are able to give a gift box of supplies, it will go a long way and the children will remember it. Finally, if you can donate your time as well both the staff and children will appreciate it alot.

Thanked by 2 Members:
Jack , Malipayon Puti

#7 Ozepete

Ozepete

Ozepete

• Ruby Sponsor
  • 1,591 posts
  • 1276 thanks
  • 110 topics
  • Local time: 09:40 PM
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:47 AM

Jack,

Over the years, I have supported several orphanages.
However, I found that, over time, corruption is alive and well in these organizations.

So, I just started doing things on my own, without going through any orphanage.

At least now, there is no doubt as to where the money is going and how it is spent.

I see it all.

I agree with Paul,
find some kid(s) or family that is desperately in need of help and support them direct. (There is no shortage of deserving people to share with in and around Cebu.)
Fortunately we have been able to help this way and we know that the support is going 100% to where it is needed.
A distant relative of my wife's, whose father died 4 months before she was born and now, at 17 years and wanting an eduction, has been virtually abandoned by her mother. One kick in the guts after another and none of it her fault.
Without help there was only one outcome for this kid, so we now sponsor her to attend Carmen Uni doing a four year course. We arranged for our brother and his wife (Panalipan) to be de-facto 'Mum & Dad', providing a home base.
These kids are like family. My wife contacts them at least each month to encourage and mentor them as well.
And if you think we're doing this so we can also feel good... You bloody betcha we do. (cos we both know what poor is like.. it sucks!). The excitement from that desperate little girl when my wife told her we would support her, can never be valued or pretended. The tears of joy and happiness flowed, (She cried too!!)
I know what it's like to be dirt poor, been there, living in tin shed with no floor etc., and will never forget the thrill of getting some financial help from an old uncle when I was a kid. So I have walked that walk and know how much a little bit of help can mean to others much less fortunate.
It's Christmas, a time of giving, a time of sharing so can I suggest to members that no matter how much or little we have, there are those that have a damn side less.
So what about it members, if you wan't to have a truly great Christmas find someone less fortunate and give them a hand up... you will never regret it.

Cheers to all..

Thanked by 7 Members:
tuanj , jtmwatchbiz , questsea73 , Jack , Malipayon Puti , UZI , joemama

#8 mpt1947

mpt1947

EX LinC Ass Kisser

• +Forum Mod
  • 3,183 posts
  • 1563 thanks
  • 159 topics

Posted 23 December 2010 - 4:38 PM

OK I found a link to the orphanage I had information on. As I said I have not given them anything, I just know a number of people from Minnesota that do support them and having nothing but praise

http://www.cscshelter.org/

Have a Great Christmas and a Safe New Year

Mike and Carmelita

#9 tuanj

tuanj
  • 84 posts
  • 66 thanks
  • 20 topics
  • Local time: 09:10 AM
  • My Blood Type:O+
  • Philippines:Visited 1 to 5 trips

Posted 12 March 2011 - 9:39 PM

Hello all.
Would like to give time and/or money (or supplies) to the less fortunate during my short visit to Cebu. In researching orphanages there, I was amazed to find none which were not associated with some church or other; I do have admiration for anyone who is willing to give of themselves to the less fortunate but I really am of two minds here and perhaps it is just because I'm resentful of the way Catholicism and attendant high birth rates cripple so-called developing countries. But that's another topic... Really, I'm just looking for a good agency to get involved with while I'm there. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea