Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jack

Is the voltage 110 or 220 in Cebu?

7 posts in this topic

This will determine if I bring certain small appliances and power tools with me (110V) or wait and purchase them in Cebu (if it's all 220V). If it turns out that I need them, how much do "converters" (220V to 110V) cost? Are they easily available ? Thanks.

220-240 volts 60 hertz except if you have your own stepdown transformer, but as the sockets in the wall are the same as in USA. It happens too often that a 110 volt unit is plugged into a 220-240 volt socket and you have a burnt out appliance/tool

This will determine if I bring certain small appliances and power tools with me (110V) or wait and purchase them in Cebu (if it's all 220V). If it turns out that I need them, how much do "converters" (220V to 110V) cost? Are they easily available ? Thanks.

The Voltage in Cebu (and most of the Philippines) is nominally 220-240V but 60Hz the same as in the USA.

Generally there is not a proper Neutral (Ov), but is not balanced 110V on each leg wrt Ground/Earth from my experience either!

Use of an Auto Transformer (pref. Safety version) will allow USA Power tools to operate in the Philippines, but I would suggest buying good make Tools here with the Warranty and Service available

Have you read the posted replies to Portable Drill Thread?

http://www.belmonttools.com/Products/Power_Tools/power_tools.html

if you leave your tools...can you sell them at a good price?probably not....so bring them...just don't let anyone use them.

a small converter cost 1000 peso a big one cost 6000 peso

extension cords are dear over here...bring some

ps...can i ride that wave runner?

if you leave your tools...can you sell them at a good price?probably not....so bring them...just don't let anyone use them.

a small converter cost 1000 peso a big one cost 6000 peso

extension cords are dear over here...bring some

ps...can i ride that wave runner?

Thanks for the tip on the extension cords. Actually I was trying to figure out how I could bring my 2 waverunners over there. The cost may be a problem.......

The Voltage in Cebu (and most of the Philippines) is nominally 220-240V but 60Hz the same as in the USA.

Generally there is not a proper Neutral (Ov), but is not balanced 110V on each leg wrt Ground/Earth from my experience either!

Use of an Auto Transformer (pref. Safety version) will allow USA Power tools to operate in the Philippines, but I would suggest buying good make Tools here with the Warranty and Service available

Have you read the posted replies to Portable Drill Thread?

http://www.belmontto...ower_tools.html

Thanks for the web site. I was just checking it out.

Edited by Admin
Fixed quotes - Paul

The townhouse I moved into oct 3, 2010 is new, I think it was completed not too long before that, has a proper electric installation.

All wall sockets are with ground, and one hole is wider than the other. If I measure from ground (in the socket) to each leg it is 118 volt so the pole transformer is a center taped 240, 120-0-120, I also measured from each leg to the water tap it is same 118 volts and I made a visual check of the pole transformer, the center is grounded