• Sponsor
  • 112 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • 30 topics
  • Local time: 03:51 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:16 PM

Is pig farming profitable business in the philippines. Is it worth of trouble ?

#2 Wombat No More

Wombat No More
  • Banned
  • 4,693 posts
  • 1778 thanks
  • 333 topics
  • Local time: 08:51 PM
  • My Blood Type:O-
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:24 PM

I spoke to 2 fella's who started pig farms and I have heard a couple of other nearly the same story. Basically it all went something like this....

After investing a lot of money along the way and starting up with the pigs, the farm was seemingly going along well with piglets coming along. Trouble is, no money to speak of was being made. Operating costs were too expensive and coudn't seem to be improved much. The prices on sale or market were just not enough to cover the costs and get a living out of it all. All these guys wound up their farms and took a big time loss for their trouble.

Two of the guys, the ones I talked to, found out later that the price of the feed and other needs of the farm were being inflated grossly by the manager in collusion with the suppliers and inflated receipts were being supplied. Also, as they weren't on the ground a real lot, they were being cheated on the number of piglets born. Also, when pigs were sold, the sold prices stated were under what they actually got. One of these guys used wife family members and best friends and lost big time. This type of criminal behaviour is very, very common in the Philippines and you as a foreigner will almost always be seen as someone they can make money from.

To succeed, I would think that you need to have boots on the ground at ALL times. Do the purchasing yourself as well as the selling. At least be there with a trusted person who will do the negotiating... but be there. Sometimes, that most trusted person will turn out to be your worst enemy, destroying your business behind your back, just to make a few extra pesos. A lot of Filipino's cannot help but take advantage of a situation where money just stares them in the face. How many times read in the paper about an employee stealing a few miserable thousand pesos (like a months wage or such) only to lose his job and cannot find employment or warrant of arrest out on them etc. Heard so many stories and they throw thier future away for a blatant and easily found out crime. Many just seem to think of the moment and not their future. Shame.

Sound a bit tough... welcome to the Philippines mate.

Thanked by 2 Members:
towboat72 , batman2525

#3 alexccms

alexccms
  • Elite Member
  • 736 posts
  • 333 thanks
  • 29 topics
  • Local time: 09:51 PM
  • My Blood Type:Don't know
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:00 PM

They all know that stealing is technically wrong. But they also believe that the greater good is the love of their family. As long as they're just stealing to help their family then there's nothing wrong with it, in fact it's their duty to steal from you.

Man o man pigs stink. I don't mind the smell but I had five in a pen and my neighbors complained (back in Texas).

Hey a whole lechon baboy will cost you 5k. If you can raise a few for personal use you'll get some nice cheap meat out of IMO. Fresh pork chops, bacon, ham, I'd love to raise a few pigs. They can tackle any weed problem too, take it down to bare (muddy and fertilized) earth overnight. The wife says they smell, but when we get a bigger place she'll see the light.
  • blaze pontaine likes this

#4 rfm010

rfm010
  • Elite Member
  • 2,888 posts
  • 809 thanks
  • 34 topics
  • My Blood Type:A-

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:11 PM

Is pig farming profitable business in the philippines. Is it worth of trouble ?

no.
not anywhere near my house. P. U. !!!!

wombat is right on the button regarding the problem with local help. my father-in-law has plenty of similar stories regarding his and his friends chicken ranches. his solution was to pay the workers just a bit over the "going rate" but to make sure they knew that as long as things were profitable they would have free housing on the farm and their children's schooling would be paid for all the way through college. he was the type to be there every day running operations. the farm did well, the workers did well.

but then again, he put a lot of his money in rural banks paying suspiciously high interest rates that more than a couple of times went under. he lost quite a bit that way. so if the workers don't get you, the banks still might...

#5 easy44

easy44

Janitor

• +Global Mod
  • 4,412 posts
  • 1178 thanks
  • 78 topics
  • My Blood Type:A+

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:12 PM

I spoke to 2 fella's who started pig farms and I have heard a couple of other nearly the same story. Basically it all went something like this....

After investing a lot of money along the way and starting up with the pigs, the farm was seemingly going along well with piglets coming along. Trouble is, no money to speak of was being made. Operating costs were too expensive and coudn't seem to be improved much. The prices on sale or market were just not enough to cover the costs and get a living out of it all. All these guys wound up their farms and took a big time loss for their trouble.

Two of the guys, the ones I talked to, found out later that the price of the feed and other needs of the farm were being inflated grossly by the manager in collusion with the suppliers and inflated receipts were being supplied. Also, as they weren't on the ground a real lot, they were being cheated on the number of piglets born. Also, when pigs were sold, the sold prices stated were under what they actually got. One of these guys used wife family members and best friends and lost big time. This type of criminal behaviour is very, very common in the Philippines and you as a foreigner will almost always be seen as someone they can make money from.

To succeed, I would think that you need to have boots on the ground at ALL times. Do the purchasing yourself as well as the selling. At least be there with a trusted person who will do the negotiating... but be there. Sometimes, that most trusted person will turn out to be your worst enemy, destroying your business behind your back, just to make a few extra pesos. A lot of Filipino's cannot help but take advantage of a situation where money just stares them in the face. How many times read in the paper about an employee stealing a few miserable thousand pesos (like a months wage or such) only to lose his job and cannot find employment or warrant of arrest out on them etc. Heard so many stories and they throw thier future away for a blatant and easily found out crime. Many just seem to think of the moment and not their future. Shame.

How true it is. Listen and learn!
  • edluvs likes this

#6 Jim Sibbick

Jim Sibbick
  • +Global Mod
  • 2,102 posts
  • 356 thanks
  • 144 topics
  • Local time: 10:51 PM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:35 PM

Yes, if you are into breeding and selling piglets.

Regards; Jim

#7 smokey

smokey
  • Elite Member
  • 22,538 posts
  • 3835 thanks
  • 851 topics
  • Local time: 05:51 AM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:52 PM

If you give them just feed and if you have someone to watch over them and a vet to give injections .. no ... if you feed them scraps and if you give the injections yourself you can if all goes well make about 20,000 every 6 months as long as the mother pig is healthy ... which means lots of cleaning ....

#8 Foxy Rob

Foxy Rob
  • 125 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 4 topics

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:01 PM

HEAR! HEAR! HEAR! Spot on Wombat!!!

#9 EAGLE

EAGLE
  • Banned
  • 3,726 posts
  • 751 thanks
  • 67 topics
  • My Blood Type:O+

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:49 PM

HEAR! HEAR! HEAR! Spot on Wombat!!!

Same Ole same old, over and over, again and AGAIN -- from the imposition of "charges" (taxes) which fks up the influx of tourists to stealing from an investing foreigner who wants to help the community/employee's...

SO VERY VERY SAD.....

but so true.

They do not learn ! :D

EAGLE Tom

#10 Jess Bartone

Jess Bartone

Princess Mary

• Elite Member
  • 6,810 posts
  • 3194 thanks
  • 107 topics
  • Local time: 10:51 PM
  • My Blood Type:B-

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:54 PM

To make money off pigs you have to lose the western mindset, that is, buying all the premium feed and medications and on and on it goes. Scientists do not call pigs "omnivorous" for nothing, they will eat almost anything available. Phil is right about feet on the ground, I would be there watching, talking, giving direction, walking around with a big ledger recording everything. Kind of symbolic too, a strong managerial statement to the workers. I would also get some Doberman puppies and raise them amongst the animals, and build a decent boundary fence.

I reckon with a boar and 6 sows on a few acres mixed up with chooks, ducks, geese and goats you could actually turn a profit. Grow feed crops, haunt the wet market for vegetable and other scraps, rotten fruit etc, make friends with your local baker (give him a lechon for Christmas) and get whatever stale bread he has for the rest of the year, use your imagination but avoid paying for anything unless you have to.

If you "value add" by killing (save the blood and make black sausage), dressing and refrigerating yourself, you could sell at the farm gate. Then take it a step further, build a smoke house for ham and bacon, smoked fowl is delicious too. Practice the art of spit roasting to perfection and sell freshly cooked lechon delivered to their door (weddings, parties, anything).

Good luck.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea