• Sponsor
  • 1,144 posts
  • 155 thanks
  • 94 topics
  • Local time: 03:03 PM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Ham Call Sign:KC4MOP

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:52 PM

Anything out here in the wilderness that would assist me to learn Visayan? More people speak Visayan than Tagolog!!!!!
And Rosetta Stone has Tagolog only..............geesh.

Yes very expensive$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT the best way to learn a language and hear the proper pronounciation.

anyone try this??? Something close??

http://www.worldlang...arning-2503.htm

It's important to hear the corect or Korek pronounciation.

TNX
Fred

#2 On-in-2

On-in-2

KookBuster

• Inactive Member
  • 994 posts
  • 115 thanks
  • 23 topics
  • Local time: 02:03 AM
  • My Blood Type:A-
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:37 AM

I have written to the Rosetta Stone people repeatedly in the last 2 1/2 years asking them to please add Cebuano/Bisayan to their great store of languages.

They have only responded with predictable ..."Thank you for your inquiry, we will look into it" type of replies.

Too bad, as the system itself is really a great and efficient way to get immersed into learning a language. I spent half a day with the Tagalog, and now anything I learn about Cebuano is polluted! Once you learn something with Rosetta Stone, it really sticks into your head!

If you find a similar method for Bisayan, please let me know!!!

Pete of New Hampshire

#3 Terry

Terry

Me & The little Lady

• Sponsor
  • 253 posts
  • 66 thanks
  • 8 topics
  • Local time: 10:03 PM
  • My Blood Type:O+
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:50 AM

I found this to be helpful http://lessons.magbinisaya.com but the private tutor I married is MUCH BETTER!!

:biggrin_01:

T

#4 On-in-2

On-in-2

KookBuster

• Inactive Member
  • 994 posts
  • 115 thanks
  • 23 topics

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:24 AM

I found this to be helpful http://lessons.magbinisaya.com but the private tutor I married is MUCH BETTER!!

:P

T

I know what you mean exactly. Very soon I will be following the same route to Bisayan fluency!

Nothing beats a full-time maestra!

Pete of New Hampshire

#5 RogerDuMond

RogerDuMond

Enigmatic Eraser

• +Global Mod
  • 4,380 posts
  • 1944 thanks
  • 78 topics
  • Local time: 02:03 PM
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:54 AM

T

I know what you mean exactly. Very soon I will be following the same route to Bisayan fluency!

Pete of New Hampshire

Good luck. My wife doesn't have the time or the patience to teach me.

#6 SkyMan

SkyMan

Stripe Rider

• +Global Mod
  • 12,365 posts
  • 2390 thanks
  • 706 topics
  • Local time: 02:03 PM
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:12 PM

T

Pete of New Hampshire

Most of us have had that same logic until we tried to put it into practice. The sad truth is that while there are millions of Cebuano's only a very few can explain why you say the thing you want to say a certain way. Cebuano's aren't taught their own language but they learn it by hearing it. Quite often I will ask my wife why I can't say something a certain way and she can just answer that it sounds wrong. So, if you are able to learn by hearing lots of different sentences over and over (like memorizing a phrase book) you might be able to learn from them but don't expect to really know the language to the point of fluency. If you try to alter one of the learned phrases to match your situation it might fall apart.

I have also tried to get Rosetta Stone to produce a Cebuano version or at least Visayan with no luck. I did get a response from their 'endangered languages' department but they were only looking for someone to be their expert to write the software for them. I suppose if a good one could be found it might be very lucrative. I asked Angie but she didn't seem interested.

#7 Terry

Terry

Me & The little Lady

• Sponsor
  • 253 posts
  • 66 thanks
  • 8 topics

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:23 PM

We use mutual teaching that helps. I teach her English and explain it to her and she does the same for me. It's worked well so far. I'm sure she would like her student to focus less on the teacher and more on the lesson. However, when she puts those glasses on I have trouble concentrating on anything she says. I also have a tendency to drool.

:) :P

T

#8 On-in-2

On-in-2

KookBuster

• Inactive Member
  • 994 posts
  • 115 thanks
  • 23 topics

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:48 PM

:)

T

Pete of New Hampshire

Most of us have had that same logic until we tried to put it into practice. The sad truth is that while there are millions of Cebuano's only a very few can explain why you say the thing you want to say a certain way. Cebuano's aren't taught their own language but they learn it by hearing it. Quite often I will ask my wife why I can't say something a certain way and she can just answer that it sounds wrong. So, if you are able to learn by hearing lots of different sentences over and over (like memorizing a phrase book) you might be able to learn from them but don't expect to really know the language to the point of fluency. If you try to alter one of the learned phrases to match your situation it might fall apart.

I have also tried to get Rosetta Stone to produce a Cebuano version or at least Visayan with no luck. I did get a response from their 'endangered languages' department but they were only looking for someone to be their expert to write the software for them. I suppose if a good one could be found it might be very lucrative. I asked Angie but she didn't seem interested.

Hehehe...she didn't seem interested when I asked her either. I tried to get her to consider creating a 'similar' to Rosetta Stone type of picture/word and picture/phrase method, but she didn't seem interested in that either. I'm not sure how much of a market there would be, but I know I would be one customer!

You're right about the structural analysis of the language by native speakers. They just aren't taught the grammar rules, etc. But, I have no fear that I can learn a great deal under the tutelage of my sweet gal. And maybe pick up a few valuable lessons from Angie from time to time. She's really an excellent teacher.

Pete of New Hampshire

We use mutual teaching that helps. I teach her English and explain it to her and she does the same for me. It's worked well so far. I'm sure she would like her student to focus less on the teacher and more on the lesson. However, when she puts those glasses on I have trouble concentrating on anything she says. I also have a tendency to drool.

:) :drink:

T

Now, that was REALLY funny!

As the Pinays say.."were the same!"

Har de har har

Pete of New Hampshire

#9 fredanna

fredanna
  • Sponsor
  • 1,144 posts
  • 155 thanks
  • 94 topics
  • Local time: 03:03 PM
  • Ham Call Sign:KC4MOP

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:29 AM

NOW my wife tells me that Bisayan is how you start out as a youngin on the island of CEBU. If you continue with educatiion, Tagalog is taught later to the kids. My in-laws watch ABS-CBN and they understand most of what is said, but not completely. Older generation may only understand Visayan only.

So I guess a true Privince type with minor education would be totally Visayan.

So ,I'm moving on with my course TAGALOG or bust!!!
Fred

#10 Terry

Terry

Me & The little Lady

• Sponsor
  • 253 posts
  • 66 thanks
  • 8 topics

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:35 AM

I'd love to see the Philippines drop TaGAGlog completely and switch to Bisayan - English.

T
  • MrSuave likes this

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea