• Elite Member
  • 1,326 posts
  • 271 thanks
  • 115 topics
  • Local time: 02:51 AM
  • My Blood Type:O+
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 18 September 2010 - 7:51 AM

I don't know if this is the right forum for this question, but I guess it's as good as any.

Off and on I have been having problems with these little mud piles in my lawn. You can sweep them up after they dry real good, but they will return the next morning (especially in the rainy season after a heavy rain).

We have a problem with those really large land snails that come out at night, but my feeling is that these mud piles are made by earth worms and not the big snails.

Anyone have an idea as to what is really making these mud piles? They are being made only at night.

If you look closely at the second photo, you might see a little hole in the middle of the mud pile, but not all seem to have a hole.

Here are some photos: (I think you will need to click on the photos to make them larger). This is the side of the house. Seems the mud piles show up more on the sides where there is less light. Not many in the front or the back yard.

Thank's,
Ron (Bacolod area)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Mailman

Mailman

Semi-intelligent descendant of ape.

• Elite Member
  • 3,353 posts
  • 1144 thanks
  • 101 topics
  • Local time: 03:51 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 18 September 2010 - 7:58 AM

Is there a water source (river, estuary) near your property because it looks like the burrowing of mud crabs.
  • Mik, Cary and Aping like this

#3 abw

abw
  • Sponsor
  • 651 posts
  • 243 thanks
  • 21 topics
  • Local time: 05:51 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 18 September 2010 - 8:00 AM

My wife said they are made by worms?? She is from Silay.

Andrew

Edited by abw, 18 September 2010 - 8:01 AM .

#4 Cary

Cary
  • Elite Member
  • 4,876 posts
  • 1731 thanks
  • 2,257 topics
  • Local time: 11:51 PM
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 18 September 2010 - 8:04 AM

Yea thats my guess too. We live near the drain of our neighborhood and these mud piles come up too.

Is there a water source (river, estuary) near your property because it looks like the burrowing of mud crabs.

#5 RogerDuMond

RogerDuMond

Enigmatic Eraser

• +Global Mod
  • 4,386 posts
  • 1950 thanks
  • 78 topics

Posted 18 September 2010 - 8:14 AM

Large worms, we used to call them night crawlers. The reason the are more prevalent on the shaded side is that the soil stays more moist if it is shaded from direct sunlight. They are actually good for the lawn, helping to keep the soil aerated.

Edited by RogerDuMond, 18 September 2010 - 8:14 AM .

• Jess Bartone and Aping like this

#6 Turbota

Turbota

Out of Stock Sir !

• Elite Member
  • 1,326 posts
  • 271 thanks
  • 115 topics

Posted 18 September 2010 - 8:18 AM

No river of open water near my house and I have never seen one of those small crabs around here at night, but we do have those very large land snails here. I think there called Giant African Snails.

But the only thing I can think that is making these piles is earth worms, but I am not sure.

About 1 month ago, I fertilized the grass with urea fertilizer. After that, I saw lots of earth worms laying on top of the grass. I guess they didn't like the urea.

Anyway, I know we have lots of earth worms, so I thought that they must be the ones making these mud piles.

Ron,

#7 Turbota

Turbota

Out of Stock Sir !

• Elite Member
  • 1,326 posts
  • 271 thanks
  • 115 topics

Posted 18 September 2010 - 8:21 AM

Large worms, we used to call them night crawlers. The reason the are more prevalent on the shaded side is that the soil stays more moist if it is shaded from direct sunlight. They are actually good for the lawn, helping to keep the soil aerated.

That's exactly what I was thinking and they do aerate the soil real good. I was just thinking others here might have this same thing going on.

#8 RogerDuMond

RogerDuMond

Enigmatic Eraser

• +Global Mod
  • 4,386 posts
  • 1950 thanks
  • 78 topics

Posted 18 September 2010 - 8:26 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking and they do aerate the soil real good. I was just thinking others here might have this same thing going on.

Your soil looks very rich which is another plus for water retention. Worms don't do well in sand as it dries to quickly. If you go out at night with a flashlight you will see them if the soil is moist enough. They make excellent bait.

#9 Kahuna

Kahuna

comfortably numb

• Sponsor
  • 7,402 posts
  • 1644 thanks
  • 167 topics
  • Local time: 01:51 AM
  • My Blood Type:O-
  • Philippines:Visited 6 to 9 trips

Posted 18 September 2010 - 8:28 AM

I live in Illinois and I've gone "night-crawling" and never seen holes as big as that made by worms.I have seen "crawdad" holes that big so maybe you have something similiar there if you are near some sort of water. Just my guess.
I suggest you go out at night with a high beam flashlite and maybe then you can see what's actually making those holes cause if its being made by worms they must be huge.That's how you go "night-crawling" except you aren't picking up the worms/crawdads as fishbait.

Sorry Roger..I didnt see your post about the same subject in time.

Edited by Kahuna, 18 September 2010 - 8:30 AM .

#10 m60man

m60man
  • Elite Member
  • 1,261 posts
  • 872 thanks
  • 40 topics
  • My Blood Type:A+

Posted 18 September 2010 - 9:06 AM

I agree with Roger. Night crawlers are active at night. They come to the surface to breed. If indeed it is worms you can pour some strong salt water in the hole and they should come to the surface. If they do not surface they will probably die in the holes. Either way you will know for sure or the problem will be solved. Use a small funnel....salt water will kill your grass if you miss the hole. Good Luck.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea