• Elite Member
  • 22,622 posts
  • 3839 thanks
  • 856 topics
  • Local time: 02:04 AM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:55 PM

Well to make this a short story.. Last year i bought a nissan march from Hilton for my wife to drive to the market... paid 160,000 car runs great has air con etc... well my son liked it so much he conned his ma ( my wife into loaning it to him about 6 months ago... Well its his car now so off to Hilton again we go ... Now we found another Nissan march and they will paint it copper as the wife wants... it has air, automatic, power windows and very clean interior cost 165,000 for running around its a great deal, i used to let my son take the bike but he drives like a rude crazy man and i did not want him to be splattered in the road . The Hilton place has about 15 of these little cars some auto some not.. its very close to the True Value place in mandue just before the old bridge...

#2 deanash

deanash
  • Inactive Member
  • 133 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • 51 topics
  • Local time: 06:04 PM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:24 AM

Well to make this a short story.. Last year i bought a nissan march from Hilton for my wife to drive to the market... paid 160,000 car runs great has air con etc... well my son liked it so much he conned his ma ( my wife into loaning it to him about 6 months ago... Well its his car now so off to Hilton again we go ... Now we found another Nissan march and they will paint it copper as the wife wants... it has air, automatic, power windows and very clean interior cost 165,000 for running around its a great deal, i used to let my son take the bike but he drives like a rude crazy man and i did not want him to be splattered in the road . The Hilton place has about 15 of these little cars some auto some not.. its very close to the True Value place in mandue just before the old bridge...

I also bought a Nissan March from Hilton for my wife. We have had it for about two months now and really like the car.

I do have one piece of advice for anyone who wants to buy a reconditioned surplus car. Wait until the car company has a marketing exhibition and buy a car they have on display. They usually knock themselves out making the display cars as perfect as possible because so many people will be carefully evaluating them. We even talked them into a P5,000 discount by pretending not to be really looking for a car but just shopping for groceries at SM.

A month or so earlier we went to their offices and the Hilton people who spoke to us acted as though they didn't care whether we bought a car or not. The folks who are at the marketing exhibitions really want to make a deal.

#3 Pazific_Dreamz

Pazific_Dreamz
  • Inactive Member
  • 187 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • 10 topics
  • Local time: 06:04 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:54 PM

"We even talked them into a P5,000 discount by pretending not to be really looking for a car but just shopping for groceries at SM."

:crack-up:

#4 David_LivinginTalisay

David_LivinginTalisay
  • Elite Member
  • 4,935 posts
  • 1255 thanks
  • 480 topics
  • Local time: 05:04 PM
  • My Blood Type:O+
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:08 PM

The Topic heading is Buying A Cheap Car

So I want to post to anyone interested in buying a really cheap car!

I am not talking about imported surplus, repainted, made to look newish cars, but a genuine old car that represents excellent value for money.

I bought a cheap Toyota Corolla for my wife and step-daughter to practice in and learn to drive around in, before I would consider letting them drive my car, especially my Hyundai Matrix 1.5CRDi VGT that I spent Php700K on.

This is the saloon car version of my Toyota Corolla Liftback that I bought new in Bahrain in 1982 (and almost as old!).

It was a rotten old rust bucket, with holes in the doors and sills, as well as the wheel arches. You could see the rear wheel past the fuel filler when you opened the boot (trunk), because of the big hole.

The good news was the engine seemed to be in pretty good condition. No fancy fuel injection or anything, dont think it even has electronic ignition. The engine is very accessible and easy to work on. This means the cost of maintaining it is low and parts and labour is cheap.

The airconditioner was also very good.

After having patched up much of the rust damage and repainted with aerosol can paint it was looking a lot better. Mud was not being sprayed into the boot (trunk) area when it rained any more either.

Since then the propshaft has had the Universal joint replaced.

New maintenance free battery fitted.

Shock absorbers replaced.

Track Rod ends and Swivel Joints replaced - wheel alignment checked/adjusted.

Gear Lever replaced.

Brake Master Cylinder replaced. Wheel Slave Cylinders overhauled, with new seals fitted, and new pads/shoes fitted as required.

Air Conditioner - serviced. New seals, Bearings, Drier. Evacuated, re-gassed, and checked for no leaks.

Basically this 20 year old Toyota Corolla is fully functional and roadworthy.

My wife, Sha-Sha, wants to sell it because we dont use the car. Her daughter, Ana Katrina, found the manual clutch difficult to cope with with little pedal movement.

Rather than practice with driving it until she got used to this clutch, she 'persuaded' her Mum to buy her boyfriends family Nissan being only 10 years old and more 'cool' with electric windows, power steering etc.

Trouble is the costs didn't stop with just buying this Nissan Sentra (GDN 353), color red, 96 model for Php90,000?

There has since been outlay for total respray (Php10,000) in dark purple with blcck bonnet (hood) and custom grille at front. Track Rod ends and Swivel Joints (Php5K), new Battery (Php2K), Wheels and Tires (Php10K). That's not counting the MP3 CD player/Radio and the speakers plus other extras. She wanted big noisy 'silencers' fitted, tiny steering wheel etc.

It might well have been better to buy Ana Katrina, one of these reconditioned surlus vehicles, as cost difference is hardly much at all?

What I am against is Ana instead of getting a real job, earning money so she can afford to run this 'cool' car of hers, has gone back to school, having already graqduated from San Carlos University? She is learning to become a 'Care-Giver'. She can't afford to run the car, and expects an 'allowance' each day.

My son could not afford to run the Pergeot 205, his Mother gave him, when he went to Bournemouth University. It sat in the back garden of my Dads house and was eventuially taken away for nothing.

I dont know why Sha-Sha's daughter should get to buy that Nissan, when there was this Corolla we had bought already. I already fixed most of the things that were wrong or went wrong on the Nissan already.!

So if anyone wants to buy this perfectly good Toyota Corolla that Ana Katina turned her nose up (despite my protesting "beggars shouldn't be choosers"), it's available for a low price.

The Corolla still need a new re-spray, and I started to do this myself (was not going to pay Php10K, as that is over 20% the cars worth!). I have the paint the thinners and started preparing the surface, ready to spray it. Even bought a small compressor and spray gun, but have no experience of using them? Just never got roaund to getting the experience and finishing the job off?

Ideally it needs a replacement windscreen, as the original is scratched, but still useable. Ideally it needs new rubber steering mounts. Other than that it is pretty much all together.

So if anyone is really looking for a cheap car, you could buy this '85/'86 Toyota Corolla for Php45K as is (with the paint and thinners).

Posted Image

I am trying to find someone with some experience of using the spraygun, to finish off the top coat and clear lacquer coat spraying to finish the job off (for Php2K).

This is considerably less than buying a reconditioned 'surplus' Nissan March for Php160K.

front1.jpg Php45K

Tel:032 2728694

E-Mail: salome.whittall@gmail.com
Posted Image

Find us on Facebook too!

#5 ckfm

ckfm
  • Sponsor
  • 3,004 posts
  • 151 thanks
  • 65 topics
  • Local time: 01:04 AM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:32 PM

Try to post it on istorya.net/forums, buy and sell section. You can post right away if you buy a membership for $20.

#6 werner strazzer

werner strazzer
  • Inactive Member
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 1 topics
  • Local time: 09:04 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:34 AM

hi robert

i am looking to buy a similar car

please let me know the email address of this dealer or contact me under; wstrazzer@yahoo.com

i am abroad currently i need the car by mid may

[quote name='robert51' date='Mar 16 2007, 09:55 PM' post='14825']
Well to make this a short story.. Last year i bought a nissan march from Hilton for my wife to drive to the market... paid 160,000 car runs great has air con etc... well my son liked it so much he conned his ma ( my wife into loaning it to him about 6 months ago... Well its his car now so off to Hilton again we go ... Now we found another Nissan march and they will paint it copper as the wife wants... it has air, automatic, power windows and very clean interior cost 165,000 for r

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea