• Sponsor
  • 3,333 posts
  • 535 thanks
  • 408 topics
  • Local time: 07:02 PM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:35 AM

Some time ago I saw an OB-GYN listed on here-a Dr. Cara Quijana, I believe and she was affiliated with Chong Hua.
My question is what are average costs for normal pregnancy and delivery?
Do most of the expectant mothers go to local clinics-or is Cebu City and one of the major hospitals the option of choice?
Not an expense I was preparing for this year, but seems our plans are going to have to be changed.
Just something else that will have to be taken care during our first year of resdency.
Im sure that several of you have gne thru this there and as always will have some excellent tips and advice.
Thanks in advance.

#2 ckfm

ckfm
  • Sponsor
  • 3,004 posts
  • 151 thanks
  • 65 topics
  • Local time: 04:02 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:46 AM

You can go to several hospitals and find out what the costs are if you like the facilities and the doctors, it is recommended to chose a OB-GYN first and then stick to her, otherwise the costs will be much higher. For those on a budget, many hospitals offer a plan where you chose the hospital but not the doctor, the one on duty will do the delivery - has to be arranged well in advance as well. Therefore the costs can vary a lot, between 5,000 (that was the plan at North General - Cebu Doctors Group) and 40,000 pesos.

#3 Bob Ward

Bob Ward

Talisay Rocks

• Banned
  • 4,783 posts
  • 1186 thanks
  • 211 topics
  • Local time: 08:02 AM
  • My Blood Type:A+

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:50 AM

Yes, go early and choose a package plan that includes prenatal care and aftercare! Way cheaper than waiting till the end is near. Better for you not to even go I think! LOLOL

#4 Angie

Angie
  • Elite Member
  • 1,030 posts
  • 70 thanks
  • 40 topics
  • My Blood Type:B+
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:12 AM

You can have your wife check out the Package Deal Plan at Chong Hua Hospital. It's way cheaper to avail of this plan than have a private doctor.

When I gave birth to my daughter, I only paid less than 5,000 pesos after Philhealth deduction and we were just required to donate a bag of blood prior to discharge. This was at Cebu Doctor's, though but I heard they have the same requirements but Chong Hua does a better service.

The plan includes Pre and Post-Natal Care, Vaccinations (except those that have to be bought by you, others are given for free.) You will only pay for the room/ward but not for the doctor, they will have the Resident Doctor on duty take care of your wife during the delivery.

#5 Headshot

Headshot

My Wife's Teddy Bear

• +Global Mod
  • 14,821 posts
  • 5297 thanks
  • 335 topics

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:35 AM

On a related note, my wife tells me that hospitals here won't allow the husband in the delivery room when the baby is being born. Is that true? I thought that kind of policy went out with the dark ages...

If you don't know da rules, please read them.

If you do know da rules, please follow them.

#6 lazydays

lazydays

Chillaxing

• Elite Member
  • 4,341 posts
  • 1096 thanks
  • 69 topics
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:42 AM

On a related note, my wife tells me that hospitals here won't allow the husband in the delivery room when the baby is being born. Is that true? I thought that kind of policy went out with the dark ages...

Ha Ha,Welcome to the Philippines Posted Image
Personally,i wouldn't want to be in the Delivery Room.

#7 ckfm

ckfm
  • Sponsor
  • 3,004 posts
  • 151 thanks
  • 65 topics
  • Local time: 04:02 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:48 AM

I asked the doc before hand at North Gen. I had to sign a waiver that I won't interfere and pass out and they let me in.

Imagening how emotional some Filipinos are, I understand that rule.

Edited by scianna54, 24 February 2010 - 09:49 AM.

#8 SkyMan

SkyMan

Stripe Rider

• +Global Mod
  • 12,365 posts
  • 2390 thanks
  • 706 topics

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:10 AM

Ha Ha,Welcome to the Philippines Posted Image
Personally,i wouldn't want to be in the Delivery Room.

AKA Welcome back to the dark ages. Hahahahahahahahahaha

This will be a question when the time comes. If I'm not in the OR then then we'll go somewhere else. I was there when both my American kids were born so I will be there if we have any here as well. And I'm talking about the whole delivery not just the last few minutes. And this includes if it's a CSection which it will be if I can afford it.
  • HTM likes this

#9 Hell Boy

Hell Boy

To Hell And Back

• +Founder
  • 31,805 posts
  • 6978 thanks
  • 3,893 topics
  • Local time: 07:02 AM
  • My Blood Type:AB+

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:08 PM

I still see a lot of Filipinas having kids in their homes, with the assistance of a midwife. It is the cheapest way for them to have kids here.

#10 abw

abw
  • Sponsor
  • 651 posts
  • 243 thanks
  • 21 topics
  • Local time: 10:02 AM
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:12 PM

My wife gave birth to our first child at Riverside Hospital in Bacolod (10 years ago), and I wasn't invited into the birthing room. Our daughter was fairly small, and the birth was over with relatively quickly. However, it is common for Caucasian/Asian babies to be on the large size. What you may want to consider, is that your chosen hospital has access decent pain management, like epidural and gas. And if there are complications, the availability of Caesarean section. I guess this is something your wife and yourself may like to discuss with your chosen OB-GYN.

Andrew

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea