• Announcements

• Paul

New Members: Click Here   03/09/2017

Hello. If you are a new member, and feel a bit apprehensive about posting in the "open" forums, or, just wish to get your "sea legs" prior to posting in the open forums, feel free to post anything you wish to talk about, in the Newbies Forum. No one will bother you, or give you any sort of grief. Everyone there is happy to help you get answers to your questions.
  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SkyMan

Cost for well?

12 posts in this topic

I may go with a well for my place. Any idea what it costs to drill a well per meter or whatever? I'm told by a neighbor it has to be fairly deepand starts through rock and the water is in rock below so it's pretty clean. I guess I'll need some kind of storage tank and a pump to bring the water up? Never dealt with a well before as you can probably tell.

Also, I'm curious if you are able to pump out whatever you want or if they find some way of charging you for the water. I ask this because I knew someone who had a house in the mountains west of Denver and she wasn't allowed to collect the rain water from her roof because the watershed was owned by the city.

Edited by SkyMan

I had a well in the States and I am planning to drill one here also. You need to have a submersible well pump to get the water out of the well (unless the well is artesian) and you need to have either an elevated tank (which is most popular here) or a pressure tank (which I had back in the States) so you have adequate water pressure in your system. That makes it so your pump isn't running every time you turn on a tap, which would wear out your pump quickly. The pump will usually last 8 to 15 years under normal conditions, after which you will need to replace it. A pump in a totally vertical well will last longer than one in a well that wanders. The tank is set up with a switch that tells the pump to turn on when the water reaches a certain level or a certain pressure, depending on the type of tank.

I don't think there are any laws here that would prohibit the use of water from your roof, but you will need a cistern to catch and store the water and a good filtration/purification system to allow its use as culinary water, since there are a lot of airborne pollutants here that you probably don't want in your drinking water. With the current drought, I'm not sure that rain water would sustain your water needs anyway, but it might be a good supplementary system to a well.

I had a well in the States and I am planning to drill one here also. You need to have a submersible well pump to get the water out of the well (unless the well is artesian) and you need to have either an elevated tank (which is most popular here) or a pressure tank (which I had back in the States) so you have adequate water pressure in your system. That makes it so your pump isn't running every time you turn on a tap, which would wear out your pump quickly. The pump will usually last 8 to 15 years under normal conditions, after which you will need to replace it. A pump in a totally vertical well will last longer than one in a well that wanders. The tank is set up with a switch that tells the pump to turn on when the water reaches a certain level or a certain pressure, depending on the type of tank.

I don't think there are any laws here that would prohibit the use of water from your roof, but you will need a cistern to catch and store the water and a good filtration/purification system to allow its use as culinary water, since there are a lot of airborne pollutants here that you probably don't want in your drinking water. With the current drought, I'm not sure that rain water would sustain your water needs anyway, but it might be a good supplementary system to a well.

Well, my question was whether they would have some way of charging me for the water I pump from the well. I would think that would be free here but you never know.

I also plan to have a sistern for rain water to use for watering the grounds. Would that water also be acceptable for filling the swimming pool? I know the pool will collect a certain amount of rainwater anyway and I'm just wondering if too much would cause me to have to add a lot of extra chemicals. I'mm trying to stay as green as possible.

I dont know how big your ground is but if you have plenty there is a perma-culture filtration system using reed beds Ideally have a few pools organicaly stocked and fish in your big one far healthy than swimming in chemicals details can be found in the permculture a designers manual by Bill Mollison for further inspiration google

reed bed filtration fish swimming pools

The land is a little over half a hectar but I don't think it would be conducive to ponds. I'm pretty sure there will be some blasting involved in making the hole that the house will snuggle into the rocky foundation. Maybe they can do it cheaper with manual labor but I'm rather fond of blasting things. How often do you get to push the plunger eh?

We may have a small koy pond but that would be way down the road. ;)

Edited by SkyMan

My well is a typical hand drilled type. You know, two or three guys pulling on a rope and after a week it's drilled deep enough. It's 56 feet with 2 inch casing, 1 hp Speroni water pump (for deep well, non-submersible pump), 80 gallon pressure tank. Four years ago it cost me a total of P40,000. P10,000 for labor and P30,000 for materials.

I used a 1 hp pump because I'm supplying three houses with water. It is easily able to pump faster than demand. I set the pressure switch to 30 psi to 50 psi so I have strong pressure for the garden hose. (20 psi to 40 psi is not quite enough for hosing off the driveway and such.)

Edit: When you take water from the ground it costs the same as rainwater: no charge except for the electricity or manual power used to lift it.

Edited by Morey

Got a deep well at my place. The brother in law has his own well digging gang and dug me a 'deep well'. It's 80 feet down. The neighbours, of whom there are several welldiggers, told him u can't go that deep it is salty.... bullshit he told them, he had dug deep wells for a couple of resorts on Mactan and no salt. They also had not seen before, the drilling methods his team used, which was designed, among other things, to make a hole the same size as the pipe so no backleackage of groundwater happened.

Anyway, about 30,000 pesos and the pipes are the highest grade and no groundwater can travel down to the source, so it stays clean.

The normal wells they dig around the place are only up to around 30 feet and the groundwater can get into it and the water is not so clean from bugs at that depth. One of those with a hand pump will cost around P8,000. Remember the minimum distance from a septic tank or overflow should be 50 feet (US standards). Tested my well after a while and is squeaky clean, no bugs etc. Water pump P7.5K, 1HP Italian job that has a pumping head of 150 feet, gets my water into a tank on the roof and gravity flow puts plenty of pressure for all the water points in the building. So all up with the job, pipes under and above ground, tank x 450 ltr, put in the roof etc, around P 45,000. Lived there 9 months now and no water filter needed and the water at that depth is said to not run out but the upper level at 30 feet can run out in a big dry spell.

Hope that helps someone. The bro in law is available.

Thanks Morey and Phil and all. Good info there. I'm on a mountain so I don't know the depth I'll need to go. The neighbor just said deep through a lot of rock. When I'm ready to do it I'll remember this post.

Got a deep well at my place. The brother in law has his own well digging gang and dug me a 'deep well'. It's 80 feet down. The neighbours, of whom there are several welldiggers, told him u can't go that deep it is salty.... bullshit he told them, he had dug deep wells for a couple of resorts on Mactan and no salt. They also had not seen before, the drilling methods his team used, which was designed, among other things, to make a hole the same size as the pipe so no backleackage of groundwater happened.

Anyway, about 30,000 pesos and the pipes are the highest grade and no groundwater can travel down to the source, so it stays clean.

The normal wells they dig around the place are only up to around 30 feet and the groundwater can get into it and the water is not so clean from bugs at that depth. One of those with a hand pump will cost around P8,000. Remember the minimum distance from a septic tank or overflow should be 50 feet (US standards). Tested my well after a while and is squeaky clean, no bugs etc. Water pump P7.5K, 1HP Italian job that has a pumping head of 150 feet, gets my water into a tank on the roof and gravity flow puts plenty of pressure for all the water points in the building. So all up with the job, pipes under and above ground, tank x 450 ltr, put in the roof etc, around P 45,000. Lived there 9 months now and no water filter needed and the water at that depth is said to not run out but the upper level at 30 feet can run out in a big dry spell.

Hope that helps someone. The bro in law is available.

Hi WombatPhil I am very interested in the services of your brother in law. Would you please be so kind as to contact me soon? Thank you very much for your post.

Dear Wombatphil, I'm interested in your brother in law's services. We just moved to a property and are in need of a deep well. Can you please contact me? Thanks.