• Sponsor
  • 625 posts
  • 243 thanks
  • 21 topics
  • Local time: 10:46 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:28 AM

I was wondering if any of you guys have experience with generic medicines? I know that in the past if were to buy from some of these smaller pharmacies it was hit or miss whether youd end up with fakes. I read somewhere of a new franchise called Generic Pharmacy or something like that who sell generics. More specifically, have any of you guys had experience with diabetes, blood pressure, and asthma medications (genererics)?

Andrew

#2 donb2222

donb2222
  • VIP
  • 706 posts
  • 80 thanks
  • 60 topics
  • Local time: 08:46 PM
  • My Blood Type:B-

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:39 AM

http://www.livinginc...showtopic=12578

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:44 PM
I have been taking propranolol for high blood pressure, and most pharmacies here sell it
only in branded form of Inderal at about 16 pesos per tablet of 40mg.
I found a pharmacy on Colon Street, across from the Jolibee at Colonade Mall
that specializes in generics. It is called something like "generic pharmacy".
The price for my generic propranolol is only 1.5 pesos per tablet, about 1/10th
the price.
I also take ibuprofen, it is about 1/5th the price there as compared to the
Advil sold elsewhere.

#3 kc8ual

kc8ual

kc8ual

• Inactive Member
  • 836 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • 82 topics
  • Local time: 09:46 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:32 AM

I bought a bunch load of Paracetemol last week... They were 1/2 the cost of the generic Paracetemol offered by Rose or Mercury. I usually have to take 3 or 4 to get rid of an oncoming migrane, but the ones I got from the Generics, I only need 2 of them. I give em two thumbs up for good medicine at a reduction of the cost... I just do not want to know where they came from in order to be that cheap (hopefully they are melamine free).

-Nick

#4 Bob Ward

Bob Ward

Talisay Rocks

• Banned
  • 3,856 posts
  • 1186 thanks
  • 211 topics
  • My Blood Type:A+
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:47 AM

I have talked to doctors here and K is also able to discuss this with staff at Cebu Doctor's College. The feedback I get is if you are going to buy a generic drug, buy one that is "branded" by a reputable company. The drugs sold with no brand name have a history of quality, potency and expiration issues.

For instance, I take metoprolol. The generics in the normal pharmacies run from P15 down to P1.50. I checked out the lowest price company and found that their web site looked infantile and the tablets themselves were not well formed and the packaging was flimsy. So I went for a more expensive brand at P5.50 (Now down to P4.50) which checked out with sources and my own research!

All generic medications are not created equal. Beware!

#5 mattwilkie

mattwilkie
  • Elite Member
  • 1,263 posts
  • 90 thanks
  • 60 topics
  • My Blood Type:O+

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:58 AM

I bought a bunch load of Paracetemol last week... They were 1/2 the cost of the generic Paracetemol offered by Rose or Mercury. I usually have to take 3 or 4 to get rid of an oncoming migrane, but the ones I got from the Generics, I only need 2 of them. I give em two thumbs up for good medicine at a reduction of the cost... I just do not want to know where they came from in order to be that cheap (hopefully they are melamine free).

-Nick

Price isnt really an issue the cost of production is low we just get ripped off on the cost at point of sale.

#6 mattwilkie

mattwilkie
  • Elite Member
  • 1,263 posts
  • 90 thanks
  • 60 topics
  • My Blood Type:O+

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:02 AM

I have a friend with 5 Pharmacies in Cebu who is being hit by the recession basically people are dropping from monthly purchases to day to day instead. Point was he was asking if there was a way to improve business for extra income it could be a viable route for deliveries for expat medication on a home delivery service if its something people are interested in. Wont be a big income boost but could guarantee the quality of a lot of products.

#7 lazydays

lazydays

Chillaxing

• Elite Member
  • 4,369 posts
  • 1095 thanks
  • 69 topics
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:49 PM

The reason many doctors will talk down even reputable generic brands,is that they get kickbacks off the big brand leaders.
Not that i have to take any medication,but i always buy reputable generic brands of things like paracetomol,aspirin etc.

#8 donb2222

donb2222
  • VIP
  • 706 posts
  • 80 thanks
  • 60 topics
  • My Blood Type:B-

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:12 PM

The reason many doctors will talk down even reputable generic brands,is that they get kickbacks off the big brand leaders.
Not that i have to take any medication,but i always buy reputable generic brands of things like paracetomol,aspirin etc.

Anyone that has visited a doctor in the Philippines has probably seen the long line
of pharmaceutical representatives also waiting to see the doctor。
Those reps hand out free samples and to my understanding also arrange the kickbacks
and other incentives to the doctor。

#9 lazydays

lazydays

Chillaxing

• Elite Member
  • 4,369 posts
  • 1095 thanks
  • 69 topics
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:27 PM

Anyone that has visited a doctor in the Philippines has probably seen the long line
of pharmaceutical representatives also waiting to see the doctor。
Those reps hand out free samples and to my understanding also arrange the kickbacks
and other incentives to the doctor。

I agree.

#10 CardiacKid

CardiacKid
  • Elite Member
  • 2,035 posts
  • 811 thanks
  • 129 topics

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:52 PM

[quote name='Bob Ward' date='04 January 2010 - 07:47 AM' timestamp='1262562435' post='138420']
I have talked to doctors here and K is also able to discuss this with staff at Cebu Doctor's College. The feedback I get is if you are going to buy a generic drug, buy one that is "branded" by a reputable company. The drugs sold with no brand name have a history of quality, potency and expiration issues.

For instance, I take metoprolol. The generics in the normal pharmacies run from P15 down to P1.50. I checked out the lowest price company and found that their web site looked infantile and the tablets themselves were not well formed and the packaging was flimsy. So I went for a more expensive brand at P5.50 (Now down to P4.50) which checked out with sources and my own research!

All generic medications are not created equal. Beware!
I would have to give generic medicines here the same level of trust that I give the obvious counterfeit Sony mp3 players, Genuine Suzuki parts, and Polo shirts sold in the markets. Yes, they are cheaper, but you get what you pay for, nothing more. As for Doctors prescribing brand name medicines, have you ever thought that they might be more familiar with the generic medicines than you? For simple things like aspirin or paracetemol, generics are probably OK. For drugs that your life depends on, I would have to choose the branded. Would you really trust BFAD to sample each batch of generic drugs manufactured for potency and quality? Could you be certain that some gratuity had not changed hands to get an approval? Who do you complain to if your health is injured by poor quality generics? Drug companies worldwide try to influence doctors to prescribe thier products. Why would it be different here? Caveat Emptor has to be considered.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name