• Announcements

• Paul

New Members: Click Here   03/09/2017

Hello. If you are a new member, and feel a bit apprehensive about posting in the "open" forums, or, just wish to get your "sea legs" prior to posting in the open forums, feel free to post anything you wish to talk about, in the Newbies Forum. No one will bother you, or give you any sort of grief. Everyone there is happy to help you get answers to your questions.
  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mortenscuba

Norwegian dies while scubadiving i Malapascua !

34 posts in this topic

Got information about a Norwegian dying while scuba-diving in Malapascua December 24.

Does anyone have any information about what happened ?

Mortenscuba

Where did you first hear of this?

I was told when there that a tourist died there before(not this one).

An unofficial diver took her out diving, apparently she got caught in a whirlpool and died somehow( dont understand it myself, but im not a diver).

There's lots of unofficial divers guides there offering very cheap dives. The habble habble driver I used(for travel on the island) & rented a bike off of, was offering to take me out(im not trained, but i didnt get the impression that that was a problem).

Best to pay the proper price, and get a proper guide/instructor, and of course be licenced beforehand.

You can google it if you read Norwegian. . . a few different results . . here is one

Nordmann (45) d

This is what happens when you cut corners and try to save a bit of cash,diminishing safety. It's kinda like flying Clark to Hkg on a paper airplane :biggrin_01: Most reputable scuba instructors will show you a valid license! If they dont then choose you casket ahead of time. Being a Master instructor myself I see many of these things happening when people sign up for courses with so called instructors with little or no training. My condolences go out to his family

I heard this first from one of the guys family, posting on a norwegian forum, asking for details.

I have seen all the articles in the norwegian papers, and it was allso in the tv-news here in Norway.

But, in the tv-news they told that 3 guys died.

Dont know if that is true.

If someone have any links to philippino news-articles it would be fine.

I know a few divemasters up in Malapascua, and hope they are fine.

Mortenscuba

If its 3 divers dead, that would be very odd.

Also, there's no doctors on the island, just 3 midwives(reduced from 5), who act as doctors/nurses/temp. hospitals.

One of them is related to my wife, and she says it madness!!

There was a resort owner there(cant remember nationality, but continental europe) anyway, he slipped and fell on some tiles. Broke his back, he couldnt be moved, but after 3 days it was decided that they had no choice, he went on a pump boat, then a long road journey to a hospital(something like 4 hours). He died a few days later in hospital.

At the same time, I really cant recommend this island enough. One of my favourite places in the Philippines!! Bit of a contradiction, but hey, we're all used to that here.

Edited by smidsy