• Announcements

• Paul

New Members' Forum   03/09/2017

Hello. If you are a new member, and feel a bit apprehensive about posting in the "open" forums, or, just wish to get your "sea legs" prior to posting in the open forums, feel free to post anything you wish to talk about, in the Newbies Forum. No one will bother you, or give you any sort of grief. Everyone there is happy to help you get answers to your questions.
  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David_LivinginTalisay

Would replacing Win98 with Linux on Laptop give improvement?

27 posts in this topic

I have an old Laptop that I used to use for business over 8 years ago.

The Toshiba 4080XCDT was considered 'state of the art' for a laptop back then.

Today running Windows 98SE, having 128Kb Ram and a 6GB hard disk, modem,

but not having LAN, just 2 x PC Card Slot, just 1 x USB 1.0 port, no built in IR, no Bluetooth, no WiFi, no Webcam, no Card Reader, no DVD, no CD-R,

it is looking rather dated.

Still useful for Kids education, Games and Karaoke however, but seems rather slow when wanting to browse on the internet with more than 1 TAB, check email etc

Not aware that the RAM can be increased more than 128Kb, so was wondering if an OS like Ubuntu or Puppy Linux might make it run more efficiently that WIN98SE?

Whilst I do have some SUN Solaris OS and therefore would be familiar with Ubunto or Puppy Linux, I have not built up a system using such, and certainly never tried sorting out potential Toshiba Satellite Driver problems (have come across some having problems with Video Drivers and Modem Drivers on Tosh Sat 4080XCDT).

Just looking for some guidance as to what Linux Distribution might give best performance on such hardware and give least amount of trouble.

At the moment I like the sound of Puppy Linux or Chubby Puppy with Open Office included.

Seems I can try installing this as a 'Live CD' so wont have to get rid of WIN98 (until I am satisfied Puppy Linux fully works - no Driver problems and offers improved faster performance and allows latest Browsers, Firewalls and AntiVirus - something lacking with WIN98SE OS, as officially discontinued by MS.

puppylogo96.png

LATEST VERSION: 4.3.1

Puppy Linux

Puppy Linux

small, fast and free OS

A 96.1 MB "Chubby Puppy" version includes the OpenOffice.org suite as well.

garland_logo.png

Linux is a free operating system, and Puppy Linux is a special build of Linux meant to make computing easy and fast.

Want a quick start? Go read the manual. Or jump to Overview p.2

Puppy Linux also enables you to save money while doing more work, even allowing you to do magic by recovering data from destroyed PCs or by removing malware from Windows.

With Puppy Linux, you can carry your programs and data anywhere.

• Easy - Just use a CD or USB flash to boot a PC. Puppy Linux is downloadable as ISO, an image that can be burned to CD or DVD.
  • Fast - Because Puppy is small, it can live in your PC's memory and be ready to quickly execute your commands, whereas in other systems, programs are first read from drive storage before being executed.
  • Save Money - Even if your PC has no hard disk (ex, broken hard disk), you can still boot Puppy via CD or USB and continue working. Old PCs that no longer work with new systems will still work good-as-new with Puppy.
  • Do More - Puppy boots in less than a minute, even in old PCs, and it does not require antivirus software. Administering Puppy is quick and minimal. With Puppy, you just have to take care of your data, which you can easily save to USB flash (Then forget about your operating system!). Your data can be read by other computers.
  • Do Magic -Help your friends suffering from computer malware by booting Puppy and removing malware from their PC (use antivirus that is built-in or can be installed in Puppy). Example - bad Autorun.inf is easily removed by Puppy (Just delete it as well as its companion exe program). If your friend thinks that she has lost data from her corrupted hard disk, boot Puppy and try saving her data!
  • Carry Anywhere (Portable) - Because Puppy is able to live in CD/DVD or USB flash, as well as save data to these same devices, you can carry your programs and data with you.

Are you now ready for Puppy? Keep these important reminders before using Puppy:

• You don't have to install Puppy (to hard disk) to use it. Simply burn the ISO to CD/DVD and boot the PC or laptop with it. Once booted, you can then install it to USB flash (see the Setup menu), so you can use it for booting the PC when a CD is not available.
  • You don't have to save data to hard drive to work with Puppy. You can save data to USB flash or even to Internet storage (like www.drop.io ). When installed to USB flash, Puppy consumes only a little over 100 MB, or about 256 MB with OpenOffice. You can use the same USB flash (where Puppy is installed) for saving data.

What is Puppy Linux?

Puppy Linux is an operating system for computers. Other well-known operating systems are Microsoft Windows, Apple OSX, and MS-DOS. Puppy Linux is based on GNU/Linux. It is completely free and open source software.

Is there a HowTo?

Chief Developer Barry Kauler has a HowTo for Puppy Linux. Also try the WikiBook, or the Getting Started in the Forum. Last but not least, there is an English Manual here.

How is Puppy Different?

• Small size, ~100MB! This lends itself to some very useful and unique features.
  • 'Live' booting from CDs, DVDs, USB flash drives, and other portable media.
  • Runs from RAM, making it unusually fast even in old PCs and in netbooks with solid state storage media.
  • Very low minimum system requirements.
  • Boot time is well under a minute, 30-40 seconds in most systems.
  • Includes a wide range of applications: wordprocessors, spreadsheets, internet browsers, games, image editors and many utilities. Extra software in the form of dotpets.
    There is a GUI Puppy Software Installer included.
  • Puppy is easy to use and little technical knowledge is assumed. Most hardware is automatically detected.

Anyone had experience of this PUPPY2?

How Puppy works

Page updated: 9 Sept 2006

In January 2006 I commenced work on a total redesign of the underlying structure of Puppy, nicknamed "puppy2". If you have a Puppy with version number 0.x or 1.x then you have the previous architecture -- let's call it "puppy1". As puppy1 is widely in use, the explanation of how he works is retained and I have split this page into two: the top half is for puppy2 and the bottom half for puppy1.

How Puppy works, take 2

Puppy2 is revolutionary, and the question on your mind if you have studied Puppy1 is "Will I have to relearn everything?", or "Is it more complicated than puppy1?"

The answer to the first question is no, you will find much in common. From a users point of view, it is still the same Puppy, apparently unchanged. Under the hood, from the developers point of view, the basic ideas, such as running in RAM, are still there -- just some implementation details have changed.

The answer to the second question is no, puppy2 is actually simpler. The startup and shutdown scripts are simpler. Options required in the isolinux.cfg or syslinux.cfg files are simpler.

Is puppy2's underlying architecture based on another distro? In other words, did I get the idea from somewhere? No, it gradually crystallised in my mind. There is a slight resemblance to Noppenlinux, but I found that out afterward.

The rationale for puppy2

As puppy1 was chugging along quite nicely, why make the change?

I can give several reasons, but I guess what it comes down to is the change just had to happen. The improvements of puppy2 are just too good. Um, let me have a go at itemising how puppy2 is better:

1. Works with any size Flash drive (minimum 128M).
  2. Saves ramdisk (your working files) to Flash drive every 30 minutes, so extending lifetime of flash media (by restricting the number of writes).
  3. Works on PCs with very little RAM, probably as little as 32M.
  4. Boots very fast.
  5. Defaults to running totally in ramdisk on first boot.
  6. The entire filesystem, that is, "/", is writable and is saved.
  7. Much simpler structure.
  8. Simplified boot params. Ex: "PMEDIA=usbflash" is all that is needed to boot from usb pen drive.
  9. "image.gz size problem" eliminated.
  10. Iso file can now grow from 60-65M to 65-70M.
  11. Improved security.
  12. Simplified, more reliable multisession CD/DVD management.
  13. One iso for normal and multisession.

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

It would be a great improvement to your computer experience to get rid of Win 98. XP is/was a very good and stable OS. Win 7 is supposed to be great improvement over XP. Don' t waste your time on Vista.

As for Ubunta and Linux, I did not like, coz I would have to re-learn the computer. I do not like M$ (mirco-soft) but got into the rut of Windows and cannot increase my frustration with computers by going to another OS.

I hear FireFox is a more secure browser and surfs faster than IE, but that's another issue.

Fred

It would be a great improvement to your computer experience to get rid of Win 98. XP is/was a very good and stable OS. Win 7 is supposed to be great improvement over XP. Don' t waste your time on Vista.

As for Ubunta and Linux, I did not like, coz I would have to re-learn the computer. I do not like M$ (mirco-soft) but got into the rut of Windows and cannot increase my frustration with computers by going to another OS.

I hear FireFox is a more secure browser and surfs faster than IE, but that's another issue.

Fred

Fred,

If you read the minimum resources for WinXP 64KB RAM is the minimum, but 128Kb RAM is recommended,

in practice it runs a lot better on much more than this like 500MB min?

I don't have enough Hard Disk Space - for such bloat ware!

The minimum hardware requirements for Windows XP Home Edition are:

• Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended)
  • At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended)
  • At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk
  • CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
  • Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse or some other compatible pointing device
  • Video adapter and monitor with Super VGA (800 x 600)or higher resolution
  • Sound card
  • Speakers or headphones

Windows7 is a no go on all counts

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:

• 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

but WIN2000 may be possible 'upgrade' - at least still supported by MS. My Toshiba Satellite 4080XCDT meats all the requirements:-

Before you install the Windows 2000 Professional desktop operating system, make sure that your computer meets the following minimum system requirements:

• 133 MHz or more Pentium microprocessor (or equivalent). Windows 2000 Professional supports up to two processors on a single computer.
    Pentium II 366 MHz
  • 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM recommended minimum. 32 MB of RAM is the minimum supported. 4 gigabytes (GB) of RAM is the maximum.
    64 MB (SDRAM) mine upgraded to 128MB (SDRAM)
  • A 2 GB hard disk that has 650 MB of free space. If you are installing over a network, more free hard disk space is required.
    6 GB
  • VGA or higher-resolution monitor.
    1024 x 768 (1280 x 1024external monitor)
  • Keyboard.
    UK Keyboard
  • Mouse or compatible pointing device (optional).
    AccuPoint, or PS/2 mouse port

Compare with what was installed as standard Windows98:-

^ "Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, and Windows Me Support ends on 11 July 2006".

Microsoft. http://support.micro...com/gp/lifean18. Retrieved 2006-06-10.

The following list describes the minimum hardware requirements for Windows 98:

• A personal computer with a 486DX 66 megahertz (MHz) or faster processor (Pentium central processing unit recommended).
  • 16 megabytes (MB) of memory (24 MB recommended).
  • A full install of Windows 98 on a FAT32 drive requires 175 MB of free hard disk space, but may range from between 140 MB and 255 MB, depending on your computer configuration and the options that you choose to install.
  • One 3.5-inch high-density floppy disk drive.
  • VGA or higher resolution (16-bit or 24-bit color SVGA recommended).

lower than Win2000 and I am no longer happy with the performance offered by Win98SE, so what would WIN2000 perform like on my 4080XCDT?

Compare this to Puppy Linux

Minimum Hardware Requirements

Puppy has been tested on a very old machines but the best results for the standard release of Puppy Linux to run at a reasonable pace have been achieved with the following:

• CPU : Pentium 166MMX
  • RAM : 128 MB physical RAM for releases since version 1.0.2 or failing that a Linux swap file and/or swap partition is required for all included applications to run;
    64 MB for releases previous to 1.0.2
  • Hard Drive : Optional
  • CDROM : 20x and up 24x (CD)

favicon.gifForum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power Puppy on a 10 euro PC (32 Mb RAM and a 2 Gb HD)

icon_minipost.gifPosted: Wed 26 Sep 2007, 10:02 Post subject: icon10.gif Puppy on a 10 euro PC (32 Mb RAM and a 2 Gb HD)

Subject description: Just a report on my experience Hi all! I haven't been looking at Linux for a long while. Just scored an old Compaq 233MMX with 32 Mb RAM and a 2 Gb HD for 10 euro. I've got 160 Mb RAM in it now and 3 HD's and various CDr's icon_lol.gif

I got XP SP2 on a 2 Gb GD. It works but starting progs is slooow. Vector Linux on a 2.5 Gb old Bigfoot, it's not what i would call a " compact" Linux distro with 2 Gb installed but it works. Very stable and professional package but alas a bit much for this old machine.

On to the live CD's. DSL wins here because of the faster bootup, the lesser prompts and the auto network setup. DSL keeps spinning that CDr drive all the time though which can get on your nerves. Puppy runs completely from memory, impressive on this old thing!

Puppy installed on a tiny 1.2 Gb HD. Now this is fun. Once installed just 1 prompt for GRUB, that's it. I got Firefox 2 and Open Office running, amazing on a 10 year old PC icon_eek.gif

A shame Dillo isn't being developed anymore, lightning fast browser but a bit primitive anno 2007.

I must admit Linux has come a long way since Slackware. It's so easy to get started nowadays, any experienced PC user can do it. And it's all for free icon_wink.gif

Now that has got me interested to try Puppy 2 over MS Win2000, especially as I can run from Flash Drive

MS software is 'bloat' ware but is popular, and that is what wins market share.

Just as VHS proved to be more popular than technically superior Betamax, which in turn was more popular than the even more technically superior Philips V2000.

The best lost out to the biggest market share, but how many use VCR these days - they all lost out in the end to CD=R and DVD-R, compressed Digital Video, and cheaper HDD and Flash Memory?

OK I see your situation.

It seems that you are telling us about Puppy and how good it is. I misread and thought that you were looking for advice to upgrade the Toshiba to a newer OS.

M$ costs $$ and you may be against a big giant like they are, but it's what the rest of us use and deal with all day long.

Fred

There are Lite versions of windows XP. That you can put on. That total would be about 181MB. I have put it on alot slower machines and it works fine.

If you are into torrents search for Ultra Slim XP pro. If you can not find it just IM me I will send you the link.

Fred

Fred,

If you read the minimum resources for WinXP 64KB RAM is the minimum, but 128Kb RAM is recommended, in practice it runs a lot better on much more than this like 500MB min?

The minimum hardware requirements for Windows XP Home Edition are:

• Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended)
  • At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended)
  • At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk
  • CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
  • Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse or some other compatible pointing device
  • Video adapter and monitor with Super VGA (800 x 600)or higher resolution
  • Sound card
  • Speakers or headphones

Windows7 is a no go on all counts

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:

• 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

but WIN2000 may be possible - at least still supported by MS

Before you install the Windows 2000 Professional desktop operating system, make sure that your computer meets the following minimum system requirements:

• 133 MHz or more Pentium microprocessor (or equivalent). Windows 2000 Professional supports up to two processors on a single computer.
    Pentium II 366 MHz
  • 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM recommended minimum. 32 MB of RAM is the minimum supported. 4 gigabytes (GB) of RAM is the maximum.
    64 MB (SDRAM) mine upgraded to 128MB (SDRAM)
  • A 2 GB hard disk that has 650 MB of free space. If you are installing over a network, more free hard disk space is required.
    6 GB
  • VGA or higher-resolution monitor.
    1024 x 768 (1280 x 1024external monitor)
  • Keyboard.
    UK Keyboard
  • Mouse or compatible pointing device (optional).
    AccuPoint, or PS/2 mouse port

Compare with what was installed as standard Windows98:-

^ "Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, and Windows Me Support ends on 11 July 2006".

Microsoft. http://support.micro...com/gp/lifean18. Retrieved 2006-06-10.

The following list describes the minimum hardware requirements for Windows 98:

• A personal computer with a 486DX 66 megahertz (MHz) or faster processor (Pentium central processing unit recommended).
  • 16 megabytes (MB) of memory (24 MB recommended).
  • A full install of Windows 98 on a FAT32 drive requires 175 MB of free hard disk space, but may range from between 140 MB and 255 MB, depending on your computer configuration and the options that you choose to install.
  • One 3.5-inch high-density floppy disk drive.
  • VGA or higher resolution (16-bit or 24-bit color SVGA recommended).

Compare this to Puppy Linux

Minimum Hardware Requirements

Puppy has been tested on a very old machines but the best results for the standard release of Puppy Linux to run at a reasonable pace have been achieved with the following:

• CPU : Pentium 166MMX
  • RAM : 128 MB physical RAM for releases since version 1.0.2 or failing that a Linux swap file and/or swap partition is required for all included applications to run;
    64 MB for releases previous to 1.0.2
  • Hard Drive : Optional
  • CDROM : 20x and up 24x (CD)

tech96.png flash-Puppy

Page partially updated Oct 7, 2009

openquote.gifJust gotta say, I went through like 10 linux distros so far,

including ******, ********, ******* (which trashed my windows partition)

**** linux and ***. and dang it, I install this one to my flash drive in like 5 minutes,

reboot, and bang! with the little (temporary) exception of the sound, EVERYTHING WORKS!*

Just as VHS proved to be more popular than technically superior Betamax, which in turn was more popular than the even more technically superior Philips V2000.

The best lost out to the biggest market share, but how many use VCR these days - they all lost out in the end to CD=R and DVD-R, compressed Digital Video, and cheaper HDD and Flash Memory?

You shouldn't make authoritative statements on subjects you don't know much about. Windows is big because it does a lot, and because Microsoft takes backwards compatibility and protecting IP seriously. In other news XP can be made to run fine on your laptop, as can Ubuntu. They are both excellent. If you want something incredibly sleek to fiddle with, try Menuet.

http://www.menuetos.net/

It's super efficient, free, and might be just the ticket for a laptop you want to turn into an internet appliance. If it supports your hardware.

6GB is plenty for XP.

I think you have your kb and mb mixed up. There is no way you have windows 98 running with 128kb of ram.

6GB is plenty for XP.

Just my windows folder in a fully patched version of XP Pro is currently 7gb.

Just my windows folder in a fully patched version of XP Pro is currently 7gb.

Clean up your system restore points. I run XP in 4GB virtual machines all the time.

EDIT:

I just checked my fully patched XP pro installation, my Windows directory is 1.28GB (1,378,202,386 bytes) right now. The entire disk is 20 GB with 4.71GB used, including a bunch of dev tools like Visual Studio 2003 and 2005.

Edited by locktite

Clean up your system restore points. I run XP in 4GB virtual machines all the time.

EDIT:

I just checked my fully patched XP pro installation, my Windows directory is 1.28GB (1,378,202,386 bytes) right now. The entire disk is 20 GB with 4.71GB used, including a bunch of dev tools like Visual Studio 2003 and 2005.

Locktite

what do you mean by clean up your restore points?

Does that mean if you have had your computer a couple of years that a lot of system resurces are taken up by multiple rstore points.

Any tips how you actually perform this task?

Thanks

Ricbak

Edited by Ricbak