Sign in to follow this  
Kaku

Are You Sure The Philippines Is The Right Place For You?

Since I have never been accused of having either tact or diplomacy, and have made some really stupid and obnoxious posts, I'll be blunt. What is the major attraction of the Philippines if it has all the downside mentioned in this and other threads? What proportion of the tourists and expats came here as single men? If there were no attractive and willing women, would single men still have come? If so, for what reasons?

If Filipinas were somewhat hostile, or even neutral to westerners, if there were no online dating industries or women willing to meet and date/marry western men, and oh yes, bars with women, how many single men would consider even visiting the Philippines, much less living the expat lifestyle?

In my situation, I no longer want any romantic entanglements or marriage, and don't want to go the GRO bar route, so I have been asking myself what attractions do the Philippines hold? When I remove the women from the equation I cannot really find any substantial answers so have put plans to retire here on hold for now (Ok, you can stop cheering now), and it is now a backup plan. It may still happen, but it will not be my first choice.

American, living here for 6 years. This is just my and my only opinion. I am not saying i am right or i am wrong. This is just me.

Retired , moved here, sold everything i owned except my home, give up my business, come here started business, married, live. I will actually say, worst mistake i ever made in my life. But now i am so deep in, i have no choice. So you can say i am stuck. Most everything i had was taken, stolen, lied, borrowed, and miss managed. You could say its my fault. Your probally right. ( But when i arrive here, my thoughts and sense was that your wife would never let those things happen) Oh well stupid. Please now dont get me wrong. Lot of good Filipina wifes. My is good, but should never have let her in charge of any moneys.

My opinion, if you want to come here, Dont do business, even though i have one of the largest where i live, (and doing very well ) its not worth it. When you do finally get it right, like i have done now, you have spent and suffered and stressed so much, that if i stay here for ten years, i will just then recover what i orginally brought. But i have lived, but not prospered.

I know i am going to get it for this one. But here it goes. ( Please remember this is me and i dont represent any others just myself.

The reasons not to come to Philippines

1. Heath Care - No Good

2. Forigners Rights - You dont have any ( if you get screwed , you just get screwed) Cant own a gun, cant own land, cant own business, they can do whatever they want to you, but if you do something back, such as yell, hit, or whatever, then you are considered bad. They only look at what you do , not what they do.

3. Legal System - No Good ( With Exceptions )

4. Government - No Good ( be ready to pay for everything because you are foreinger.

5. Living Conditions - Not Good ( Loud Music, Chickens, Dogs, Electric dont work half time, water either, many others)

6. Clean Air - Forget it, well where i live -- dusty all the time

7. Honesty / Treated Fairly - Not a chance your a forigner

8. Services - ( Hard to get a car fixed properly, find stocks of things, quality of everything is poor )

9. Earning Money - Forget it. If you dont bring it with you, dont try to do business here.

10. Saftey - Fair ( If you own a house you have to build a concrete fence and razor wire the top of it, or you wont have anything when you return home.) ( Not all places )

11. Weather - Hot as hell , everyday.

Reasons to come to the Philippines

1. One of most beauitful places to see beaches and nice places, blue water

2. Old, fat , bald, ugly -- you can always have a beauitful girl who will want to be with you.

3. Cheap to Live - compared to other country's very affordable.

4. Get drunk, drive home, get caught, no problem. ( pay the officer 10 usd and your on you way )

5. Being a forigner you can buy you way out of most any problem if you have enough money.

6. Welcomed everywhere, treated with respect (at least to your face) ;;;;;;;; Until it comes to money

7. Even if you get a bad Filipina, she will always be with you, they are not up and run off kind of girls

8. Most beauitful Asian Women in all of Asia.

9. Cheap beer, lots of nightlife

10. Lots of diversity, you have lots of things you can do, most are affordable if you know how to do them.

11. If you want to live quite, easy, honest life, way out in the province, left alone, no one bother you. You can do that cheap. ( be willing to accept other in conveniences)

Now this is my opinon of my experiences while i have lived here. Now honestly when i come here, i never put much thought into how to do business, what it would be like, done a lot of research on living conditions, how to do business, how things would actually be. I thought i will be rich there, and my wife will love me so much for giving her better life, i will be taken care of. They will be beauitful girls around me all the time, I will have enough money to make anything work. I actually come here from a great and responsible business and life in the USA, just like a teenager who just got his inheritance. Thinking i could be like a King here.

If this is you, please take time to do more research and prepare yourself. It can be like that, but dont be stupid like me. It takes about two years to get the girls out of your system if your that kind of man. ( You never really get them out of your system, but you learn to control waisting all your money each night.) So it the best place in the world to live, if you love that kind of life. Dont forget, if you are from the USA, Expect to spend 2500 to 3000 dollars each time you want to go home. I never actually thought how that will eat up a bank account quickly over the years.

So if you ask me, would you do it all over again. I would say YES. But i would be so much more careful, and so much more in control of my money, and manage better. I was like a kid in a candy store here. I see that every day, believe me, i see others like that everyday.

chaz just because someone dont like what you like does not mean they have a closed mind.... most likely they are just not interested ... you like living in the country and riding the jeepney i find that boring and unexciting , I like going to manila to see a stage show , i find manila exciting compared to cebu we are all different .. hence the saying different strokes for different folks

Robert that's a fair comment point accepted, maybe its me that has the closed mind.

Edited by Admin
Edited quotes - Paul

What is the major attraction of the Philippines if it has all the downside mentioned in this and other threads?

<snip>

When I remove the women from the equation I cannot really find any substantial answers so have put plans to retire here on hold for now (Ok, you can stop cheering now), and it is now a backup plan. It may still happen, but it will not be my first choice.

Your question is valid. RP is not utopia. RP is a troubled nation (but what nation is NOT troubled?).

Like everywhere else, including your home country, there are "pros" and "cons" of living here. For those that choose to stay, I believe the pros substantially outweigh the cons. If the cons start outweighing the pros, then your situation needs to be reevaluated, and departing is a viable option.

Certainly, for most expat males, women, or a woman, are a primary factor for coming and staying. As you point out, if you remove women from the list of "pros," RP may lose much of its appeal.

Gone Asiatic and Worldly Patriot I agree wholeheartedly. Take the X factor out of the equation and there is no equation. Without my wife, or any woman for that matter, why would I live in a 3rd world country, albeit a paradise? I'm sure Robinson Crusoe's island was paradise perfect, but all he got was Friday. Bugger that.

So whilst you're right, I'm failing to see your point.

There's rich and poor. No middle class.

Fred 20 years ago that was true but the biggest change in Cebu for me is the rise of the middle class and the businesses such as Ayala terraces that service those people.

Gone Asiatic and Worldly Patriot I agree wholeheartedly. Take the X factor out of the equation and there is no equation. Without my wife, or any woman for that matter, why would I live in a 3rd world country, albeit a paradise? I'm sure Robinson Crusoe's island was paradise perfect, but all he got was Friday. Bugger that.

So whilst you're right, I'm failing to see your point.

This is more detail than I had intended to go into, but I made a post and you made sound reply that deserves an answer. Why would anyone want to live without a woman? I like them as much as anyone, at times maybe more. You are happy with a young Filipina, but I would only be happy with someone closer to my own age. Not everyone wants the same things. The encounters with older women I have had in the Philippines were not very good. Most had a lot of extra baggage, kids, and often a husband that was separated but still legally married. If women were my goal, then I could stay in the Philippines and do an exhaustive search for a widow without a brood of kids to support, but it is just not worth it to me.

I have been to the Philippines often enough during the past eight years that the magic has worn off, yet I still like the idea of living in a tropical paradise (sans Friday). So I am tentatively planning to retire to Saipan. It has a multicultural population, but people do not go there for the women because the women there do not throw themselves at you, i.e. unless you find one desperate for a visa. If they are visa hunting then I don

This is more detail than I had intended to go into, but I made a post and you made sound reply that deserves an answer. Why would anyone want to live without a woman? I like them as much as anyone, at times maybe more. You are happy with a young Filipina, but I would only be happy with someone closer to my own age. Not everyone wants the same things. The encounters with older women I have had in the Philippines were not very good. Most had a lot of extra baggage, kids, and often a husband that was separated but still legally married. If women were my goal, then I could stay in the Philippines and do an exhaustive search for a widow without a brood of kids to support, but it is just not worth it to me.

I have been to the Philippines often enough during the past eight years that the magic has worn off, yet I still like the idea of living in a tropical paradise (sans Friday). So I am tentatively planning to retire to Saipan. It has a multicultural population, but people do not go there for the women because the women there do not throw themselves at you, i.e. unless you find one desperate for a visa. If they are visa hunting then I don't want them.

I have an intense interest in WWII history and Saipan is the place for that. It has many drawbacks like poor drinking water, highest electricity rates of any U.S. territory, etc. I could probably live a comfortable life in the Philippines, and would have to forgo some luxuries to live in Saipan. To me it is still worth that because it has the tropical appeal I am looking for and also amenities like a public library, and no need for an SRRV or to jump through BI hoops. And the WWII relics there are both discovered and undiscovered all over the island. So because that interests me, and because I see many more benefits to living there than in the Philippines, that is probably what I will do.

Thanks Asiatic, you put a lot of yourself into that reply, and I do appreciate it. I feel for you bro, it sounds like you're at a crossroads, or at least a fork in the road, and I'm at a bit of a loss for words of encouragement, not knowing where in Phils you have been.

Have you ever visited Camiguin? I am definitely no veteran, never lived there, but I can say it has a different feel to all the other places I have visited. My family-in-law are divided between Camiguin and Gingoog (50K east on the mainland), and both, but especially Camiguin, are very laid back and relaxed. The locals seem to be very comfortable with whom and what they are, and with where they stand in the world. Obviously I am biased, but I have found that they are very keen to meet me, and ask nothing but to look in my eye and shake my hand. It is said of Camiguin that people don't lock their houses, and leave the keys in their cars, that there is virtually zero crime, and from what I have experienced, it rings true. I have also been told that the local bureaucracy is very friendly and easy to deal with. It is, after all, a province in its own right.

Cagayan de Oro is not far away (malls, gated communities, golf, bars, nightlife, airport...), 70K from Balingoan port on the mainland, the ferries run from 6am to 6pm, and you can drive any size vehicle onto them. Having said that, there is this charming sense of isolation, a certain intimacy and sense of camaraderie with your fellow islanders that I have not experienced since my days in the outback of Aus (I'm a city boy now). The ring road is 63K, and taking a leisurely motorbike ride around the perimeter will be one of the most amazing experiences of your life. "Breathtaking" is a weak word in this instance. If you stopped to say hello to everyone who waved and smiled it would take you a month to get back to your starting point. Riding up into the mountains takes the experience to the next level (if you'll pardon the pun), what a view, what a place.

It really is worth a look my friend, it may just change your mind about the Philippines completely. Whatever your decision, I wish you courage, fortitude, and luck.

The U.S. is the only major industrialized country without universal coverage. It is about time to have it. I certainly don't agree with everything Obama advocates, but he is sure as hell a lot more for the good of the common man (as opposed to the upper 1% or 2% of the economic ladder) than old George Bush (channeled through Haliburton-rich Dick Cheney) ever was.

Thanks Asiatic, you put a lot of yourself into that reply, and I do appreciate it. I feel for you bro, it sounds like you're at a crossroads, or at least a fork in the road, and I'm at a bit of a loss for words of encouragement, not knowing where in Phils you have been.

Have you ever visited Camiguin? I am definitely no veteran, never lived there, but I can say it has a different feel to all the other places I have visited. My family-in-law are divided between Camiguin and Gingoog (50K east on the mainland), and both, but especially Camiguin, are very laid back and relaxed. The locals seem to be very comfortable with whom and what they are, and with where they stand in the world. Obviously I am biased, but I have found that they are very keen to meet me, and ask nothing but to look in my eye and shake my hand. It is said of Camiguin that people don't lock their houses, and leave the keys in their cars, that there is virtually zero crime, and from what I have experienced, it rings true. I have also been told that the local bureaucracy is very friendly and easy to deal with. It is, after all, a province in its own right.

Cagayan de Oro is not far away (malls, gated communities, golf, bars, nightlife, airport...), 70K from Balingoan port on the mainland, the ferries run from 6am to 6pm, and you can drive any size vehicle onto them. Having said that, there is this charming sense of isolation, a certain intimacy and sense of camaraderie with your fellow islanders that I have not experienced since my days in the outback of Aus (I'm a city boy now). The ring road is 63K, and taking a leisurely motorbike ride around the perimeter will be one of the most amazing experiences of your life. "Breathtaking" is a weak word in this instance. If you stopped to say hello to everyone who waved and smiled it would take you a month to get back to your starting point. Riding up into the mountains takes the experience to the next level (if you'll pardon the pun), what a view, what a place.

It really is worth a look my friend, it may just change your mind about the Philippines completely. Whatever your decision, I wish you courage, fortitude, and luck.

Let's keep Camiguin our little secret. Admin....please delete that post. B)

Edited by XR600SM