Full Members

• 35 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • 8 topics
  • Local time: 03:56 AM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 27 October 2009 - 9:40 AM

This upcoming school out Holiday we would like to take a trip for an upclose look at Mount Kanlaon(Canlaon) volcano situated on nextdoor Negros. The plan is drive from Cebu-City to some place west coast and catch a RORO to a city with accomodations, then drive for an upclose look.

Would hate to drive all the way south then RoRo to Dumaguette then drive 165km to the North. Is there a RoRo maybe in Toledo City?

My son been dying to get a look at a real Volcano. Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance.

#2 rbm

rbm
  • Elite Member
  • 515 posts
  • 108 thanks
  • 27 topics

Posted 27 October 2009 - 9:52 AM

This upcoming school out Holiday we would like to take a trip for an upclose look at Mount Kanlaon(Canlaon) volcano situated on nextdoor Negros. The plan is drive from Cebu-City to some place west coast and catch a RORO to a city with accomodations, then drive for an upclose look.

Would hate to drive all the way south then RoRo to Dumaguette then drive 165km to the North. Is there a RoRo maybe in Toledo City?

Thanks in Advance.

Hello Pokeman yes drive to Torledo either via Naga or what I prefer is via Luhug past the marco Polo hotel and straight to Balamban and to Torledo. In Balaanban there is a great German restaurant called Zeilbe (oinon) ideal for lunch. Many boats to San Carlos from Torledo, which is about 45 minutes to Canlaon. Some great hikes around Canlaon, no banks so bring enough money. neat place to stay is F & C pension house close to the down town. Canlaaon is very cheap how ever limited facilities for tourists. Food is a disaster.....

If you require a good honest local guide just let me know as I know some there.

#3 thebob

thebob

The one and only.

• VIP
  • 11,006 posts
  • 3026 thanks
  • 356 topics
  • Local time: 04:56 AM
  • My Blood Type:AB+
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 27 October 2009 - 9:57 AM

Thanks in Advance.

There is a Ro-ro from Dumanjug-Tangil,Cebu to Guihulngan Negros Oriental, operated by P.A.R. TRANSPORT.
Last time I took this it departed at 10:40, the Ro-ro is big enough for a few large trucks.

So head South from Cebu City drive as far as the big roundabout in Carcar, turn right pass through Barilli and the ferry is in Tangil just before Dumanjug.

Its a good road all the way, and will be much faster than heading south.

#4 pokeman

pokeman

Full Members

• 35 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • 8 topics

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:13 AM

Thanks all for the quick reply. Some great ideas, i've driven these routes before but never taken a car across the other side.

We don't plan to take the hike up, that might be too ruff for the little fellow and mom. Let me break out my maps and again, THANKS!

#5 Nangulo

Nangulo

I used to be confused, now I just don't know ...

• Elite Member
  • 1,126 posts
  • 203 thanks
  • 57 topics
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:56 AM

Thanks all for the quick reply. Some great ideas, i've driven these routes before but never taken a car across the other side.

We don't plan to take the hike up, that might be too ruff for the little fellow and mom. Let me break out my maps and again, THANKS!

Tunkil N10 04.188, E123 26.839

Check http://www.sunstar.c...on.volcano.html
It's over a year old but there may still be a 4-km danger zone around the volcano. You should be able to look, but you may not be able to get too close. A trip to the Philvolcs website may give you current info on Kanlaon.

#6 rbm

rbm
  • Elite Member
  • 515 posts
  • 108 thanks
  • 27 topics

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:37 AM

Tunkil N10 04.188, E123 26.839

Check http://www.sunstar.c...on.volcano.html
It's over a year old but there may still be a 4-km danger zone around the volcano. You should be able to look, but you may not be able to get too close. A trip to the Philvolcs website may give you current info on Kanlaon.

Its quite OK to climb Canlaon at this time or to hike in the vicinity. I climbed it about a 6 weeks ago and intend to accompany a group of locals on another climb this Nov 15.

Just onje has to register at the local tourist office which is straight forward, no problems. They are a great bunch there, I love the place but its sadly not geared up for tourists.

#7 loosehead

loosehead

OFW

• Elite Member
  • 1,864 posts
  • 720 thanks
  • 27 topics
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:08 PM

Is Canlaon the mountain you cross on the inland road from Bacolod to Dumaguete ? Theres a couple of hot spring places and it's a really nice drive.

#8 shadow

shadow

Play that funky music

• Elite Member
  • 4,760 posts
  • 1845 thanks
  • 190 topics
  • Local time: 07:56 AM
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 28 October 2009 - 3:08 PM

Is Canlaon the mountain you cross on the inland road from Bacolod to Dumaguete ? Theres a couple of hot spring places and it's a really nice drive.

No, I think you are referring to Mabinay. Canlaon is about 100 km north between Bacolod and San Carlos.

Larry in Dumaguete

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea