CebuanaSenn
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 2 topics
  • Local time: 10:51 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 06 November 2009 - 9:59 PM

You would buy one for your relatives, send it over to them, and they would attach it to a computer here, and a phone to the Magic Jack. Then, after they set up the account (I believe they need a USA address for their account?) they can use it. Afterthought: Perhaps it would be better if you bought it, set it up there, and then sent it to the family? Anyway, they could call you from the Magic Jack to any phone in the US, or another Magic Jack.

Thanks Admin, now I got the idea. It seems worth a try as it's not that expensive...saw piles of these at Bestbuy. Hmmm, I saw at the Buy and Sell section of this site that somebody is selling his extra magicJack...I'll have to talk to my relatives.

#32 USMC-Retired

USMC-Retired

You can't trust the internet

• +Global Mod
  • 9,189 posts
  • 2988 thanks
  • 1,101 topics
  • My Blood Type:A+
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:34 PM

For ease of use how could you beat Majic Jack plug and you are up and running. Wow easy.

Then you look at cost really quick.

Skype Gizmo and GV are all similar at 1.7 cents per min. So I can get 186 hours of talk time for that 19 dollars. Then you have the purchase price of the unit added in. So as for cost, it probably is not the cheapest option.

Then I have the soft phone issue. Well a lot of us have a nice high tech phone that can use a soft phone application. Thus the ability to use Skype or Gizmo right on the go. Then the final issue is yes Majic Jack will forward my call to a US number but not to a PH number. That is a huge downside. I like that with Gizmo or Skype I have a US number they call it is then forwarded right to my Cell here in the PH. That rate can vary to 15 cents a min. However I hang up immediatly call back using my soft phone application in my Cell at 1.7 per min.

Upside
So I give it thumbs up for ease of use.

Downside
No Soft Phone application for cell phones
No call forwarding to international
Cost is higher in comparision

#33 fredanna

fredanna
  • Sponsor
  • 1,150 posts
  • 156 thanks
  • 95 topics
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Ham Call Sign:KC4MOP

Posted 07 November 2009 - 1:44 AM

I'm the original poster.
We bought two MJ's and set them up here in the USA. And paid for one yr service for each. WE might upgrade for 5 yrs. Still testing, so far it's flawless.
We sent the MJ FEDEX to them and voila it works! They have Wi-Fi and works perfectly. Drawback is that it has to be plugged into a running computer in the USB port.
As others have brought up connectivity (Internet provider/ bandwidth) may be an issue.
My wife and the family have talked FOR HOURS and not a glitch. Recent emergency with a newborn and hospital bills.
The family has a USA telephone number, now they can call any where in the USA and Canada FOR FREE. No Skype restrictions or YAHOOS or softphones. They cannot call a Phils number.

Fred

#34 seattle2cebu

seattle2cebu

doing okay

• Elite Member
  • 290 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • 51 topics
  • Local time: 11:51 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.

Posted 07 November 2009 - 2:13 AM

Anybody stumble onto this? Looks like Magic Jack might be a sneaky way to get free calls to the USA. $19.95/YR
Just needs to be hooked to the USB port of a running computer on a DSL or Cable Modem or even Wi-Fi.
It needs 128kbs upload bandwidth.
They advertise "travel world wide and call the USA and Canada for free."

Fred

Vonnage VOIP may be the same requirements.

I use it on my job everyday... I have three

#35 garg

garg
  • Elite Member
  • 285 posts
  • 52 thanks
  • 22 topics
  • My Blood Type:O+

Posted 07 November 2009 - 2:49 PM

You must have a grandfathered rate. Skype is showing $18/3 mo and $60/yr over here .

Gizmo is cheaper, but I think Skype has better quality.

The $12/year quote was for the MagicJack(MJ). Buy 5 years at a time for $60.

#36 Paul

Paul

Culture Shock

• +Founder
  • 33,440 posts
  • 7474 thanks
  • 3,980 topics
  • Local time: 06:51 AM
  • My Blood Type:AB+
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 08 November 2009 - 1:12 PM

I use it on my job everyday... I have three

You have three (3) Magic Jacks plugged into one computer?

#37 Lee

Lee

Happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu

• Sponsor
  • 5,026 posts
  • 1010 thanks
  • 957 topics
  • Local time: 09:51 AM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 4:45 AM

You can plug in as many Magic Jacks as your Internet speed can handle, I have had two plugged in at times and have had as many as three plugged in at one time while helping other people set up their MJ's....... One trick I have used is to get a few MJ's with local numbers in different states or areas of states and then forward those others to my cell phone or main MJ's and then people can call me with a local call from those areas no matter where we are in the world and for free to them....... It works great for friends and relatives all over the US that do not have computers, cell phones, free within US long distance or are not computer savvy and there are many of those out there that most of us computer people never think about.

As for Paul or others that prefer to spend many times more per year, that is their choice and I surely would also do that if I was using the VOIP for business but I cannot see paying for one month, more than it cost me for a whole year...... Just me, and maybe I am just too cheap :wink: and I would rather spend it on a good steak.
:biggrin_01:

#38 Paul

Paul

Culture Shock

• +Founder
  • 33,440 posts
  • 7474 thanks
  • 3,980 topics
  • Local time: 06:51 AM
  • My Blood Type:AB+
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 09 November 2009 - 7:43 AM

So, you can have more than one plugged into your computer at once? That, I will admit, is interesting. Do they both use a single copy of the softphone software? Or, would you have two different panels open up? But, the fact that I must have a computer running in order to use the phone is still a bit much for me. I like my VOIP line to be totally independent of the rest of the network.

You can plug in as many Magic Jacks as your Internet speed can handle, I have had two plugged in at times and have had as many as three plugged in at one time while helping other people set up their MJ's....... One trick I have used is to get a few MJ's with local numbers in different states or areas of states and then forward those others to my cell phone or main MJ's and then people can call me with a local call from those areas no matter where we are in the world and for free to them....... It works great for friends and relatives all over the US that do not have computers, cell phones, free within US long distance or are not computer savvy and there are many of those out there that most of us computer people never think about.

As for Paul or others that prefer to spend many times more per year, that is their choice and I surely would also do that if I was using the VOIP for business but I cannot see paying for one month, more than it cost me for a whole year...... Just me, and maybe I am just too cheap :wink: and I would rather spend it on a good steak.
:biggrin_01:

#39 Cipro

Cipro

100% Real Turkey

• Sponsor
  • 5,928 posts
  • 1283 thanks
  • 91 topics
  • My Blood Type:I will not donate

Posted 09 November 2009 - 8:20 AM

Lee had given me one a year or two ago. And, while it performed "okay", here in the Philippines, I have to say I would much rather stick with my Packet8.net VOIP service.

I used packet 8 as my home phone when I had a home phone. Flawless.

So, you can have more than one plugged into your computer at once? That, I will admit, is interesting. Do they both use a single copy of the softphone software? Or, would you have two different panels open up? But, the fact that I must have a computer running in order to use the phone is still a bit much for me. I like my VOIP line to be totally independent of the rest of the network.

I think 8x8 can have multiple numbers as well.

#40 Lee

Lee

Happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu

• Sponsor
  • 5,026 posts
  • 1010 thanks
  • 957 topics
  • Local time: 09:51 AM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 8:33 AM

Each has its own number and own screen open. I was using Vista at the time, yet I think it would be the same with all.

No question yours may be better and I would never tell anyone to change but for $40 it could not hurt to try and you can forward that number to your Packet 8 when you do not have your computer on or all the time to receive calls. I make calls from my MJ but I usually receive calls on my cell phone. That way I can just give out the one number.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea