• Sponsor
  • 821 posts
  • 261 thanks
  • 184 topics
  • Local time: 06:20 AM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:18 PM

It's a shame, being here more than 9 months without seeing much of Cebu Island except Cebu city and surroundings. Me and my good local friend and driver are going on a road trip Thursday, and will be back Sunday.

We have a rental car, and about 25K in our pockets which should include everything except car rental. We would like to snorkel, see some white beaches, some nice scenery, maybe a boat trip somewhere, fishing is possible?

Anyone have a suggested route, places to go, places to sleep? Starting off Thursday morning from Cebu City, back Sunday evening.

#2 Doc Smith

Doc Smith
  • Inactive Member
  • 436 posts
  • 30 thanks
  • 13 topics

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:43 PM

Thats totally cool! I would think that 4 days isnt enough when driving by car, because you'll be spending most of you're time driving rather than visiting. I'm assuming a totally national highway loop around the island and not going up into that tiny nook of north Cebu. If it was going to be a "relaxed and take your time" trip, I'd say it should be a week+.

#3 Panserhansen

Panserhansen
  • Sponsor
  • 821 posts
  • 261 thanks
  • 184 topics

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:20 PM

Yes, to see it all I guess we need more time. So we'll probably skip some places, and pick out some jewels. Unsure if we should go north or south, west or east..!

#4 andy

andy
  • Elite Member
  • 89 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • 9 topics
  • Local time: 10:20 PM
  • My Blood Type:A+
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:31 PM

moalboal is a great place to snorkel and there is some white beaches there also. and it is close to kawassen falls, there are some nice towns around the south coast and you can see negros and its black beaches from the southern parts of cebu.

san rem in the north has a nice beach and shallow waters.

thats all i know anyway.

#5 Hell Boy

Hell Boy

To Hell And Back

• +Founder
  • 32,180 posts
  • 7077 thanks
  • 3,903 topics
  • Local time: 05:20 AM
  • My Blood Type:AB+
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:38 PM

It is 137 kilometers to the south end of the island, where Lilo-An, Santander is anyway. That is where the ferry crosses to Negros Oriental. To Bogo, from Cebu City, is 100 Kilometers.

How many kilometers do you think you want to cover in one day?

#6 Panserhansen

Panserhansen
  • Sponsor
  • 821 posts
  • 261 thanks
  • 184 topics

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:54 PM

It is 137 kilometers to the south end of the island, where Lilo-An, Santander is anyway. That is where the ferry crosses to Negros Oriental. To Bogo, from Cebu City, is 100 Kilometers.

How many kilometers do you think you want to cover in one day?

Hmm, maybe 100-130 km or so - is that a decent estimate? Depending on the roads. The goal is not just to drive all around Cebu, the headline was a little misguiding there. We would like to make a stop here and there.

#7 Hell Boy

Hell Boy

To Hell And Back

• +Founder
  • 32,180 posts
  • 7077 thanks
  • 3,903 topics

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:18 PM

First, in case you haven't visited provincial areas before, you will see sites more like this along the highway:

Attached File  provincial_bus_cebu.jpg   58.67KB   54 downloads

Attached File  cebu_province_map.pdf   165.68KB   297 downloads - Do not go by the kilometers marked on this map, as they are incorrect.

Argao is at the 66 kilometer marker, going south. I would leave early enough to hit Argao early, and possibly do some snorkling there. If you want to leave later in the morning, you can head out in time to catch lunch at Leylands there. (I will PM you Steward Leyland's cell number.) Leyland's is a small bar/restaurant owned by an Englishman, Stewart and his wife Elsie, two fantastic people. If you do at least stop in for a drink, please send them my regards. You may meet other foreigners there too, as it is THE place to meet up and socialize. Here are some images from Leyland's, taken this past weekend.

Okay. The roads are pretty decent from Cebu to Argao. If you decided that you wanted to stay there, I don't know it well, but there is a place called Woodruff's Resort you could possibly stay at overnight. There are a few others in the area, but I am not familiar with them.

If you don't want to stop in Argao, you could continue south to Alcoy, which is a good bit further. This would be close to your range of travel for the day. You could stop at Bodo's Bamboo Bar, instead. It is just north of town there. There is accommodation at Bodo's, which is a German-Filipina owned restaurant and hotel.

That would cover day 1 of your trip.

You could spend the next day continuing south and around the bottom of the island, as it is quite nice and peaceful. The water becomes clearer and clearer, the further south you go. In all honesty, once you have gotten to Argao and onward, it is quite beautiful and clear. No need to rush to get to the other side of the island. On the way south, and past the town of Oslob, you will see Sumilon Island off to your left. There is a resort on that island called Sumilon Island Bluewater. It is quite nice there.

Continuing on, you could easily make this leg of your journey around to Moalboal, where you can visit both Panagsama and White Beaches. I have a list of resorts that you may wish to view, or you can wait until you arrive there and, perhaps find cheaper accommodation. Here is the link to the Cebu Resorts I have listed on this site: Cebu Resort Accommodations

Panagsama is about 5 kilometers off the highway, outside of Moalboal. Once in Moalboal, look for the market (on your right going north). Just past the market, start looking left for the road to turn on to go to Panagsama. It should be fairly well marked from the south.

On the main part of Panagsama Beach (there are two actual beach areas you can visit on Panagsama), there are a number of small resorts where you may find a really good deal. Diving shops are peppered all over the place. So, since I don't dive, I can only advise you to pick one.

There is another beach, in addition to Panagsama, called White Beach. This beach is the very next road, north of where you will turn off to go to Panagsama. It is 6 kilometers out of town, to the beach. In the past, it was more of the "poor man's beach". I personally like it there, though. However, I only know of one resort on White Beach, although I am sure there are other places to stay. Anyway, it is called Barefoot White Beach Resort. I know it is a bit pricey, to me anyway. But, your view is different than mine. So, take a look at their site and determine which is best for you.

This could cover day 2 of your adventure.

Okay, this is where it may get a little tricky for you. You can go partway back to Carcar from Barili, across the mountain and then turn left to go north to Toledo. But, in my experience in this, I would suggest you not go toward Toledo this way. The road is in shitty shape for the most part, and will be slow going. In fact, it will be, at some points, unlikely for a car to pass through. So, again, my advice is do not do it. What I would do instead, is to head back to Carcar from Barili (16 kilometers across the mountain), and then turn north at the rotunda in Carcar. (If you need me for anything at this point, you may text or call me. I will PM you my new cell number in case you do not have it.)

UPDATE: The road from Mantalongon (Market) to Pinamunahan, and on to Toledo, should be finished by now. So, it should be in good shape to drive on..

Incidentally, if timing is right, or if you are hungry at that time, there is a little Tex-Mex restaurant just south of town about 300 meters south of the rotunda on the left side of the street. As you head south from the rotunda in Carcar, and after you pass the main business area in town, you will pass some rice fields. Just beyond the rice fields, and on the left side, will be a four story building. On the ground floor, in the first unit on the north side of the building, will be the Campfire Grill. It's owned by a fellow from Texas, by the name of Sam. He offers some of the best burgers around, just about anywhere on the province, I would dare say.

Anyway, after you have decided about breakfast/lunch, and are on your way north again, continue to Naga town, and head to kilometer post 22. You will know you are getting close when the road opens up into a four lane, going north, just after crossing a bridge. Just north of this kilometer post, there is a Shell petrol station. Turn left there, to head west to Toledo. This will be about a 45 minute ride across to the other side of the island.

Once you are at the T junction in Toledo where you have to go right or left, go right to continue north, unless you specifically want to go into the town of Toledo. If that is your plan, turn left instead. This will take you to the main part of town, Poblacion Barangay. If you go into town, off to the right, you will see where they are building a new power plant. There are a number of foreigners working there, as I met some fellas during a recent trip to Toledo. You may want to stay overnight in Toledo, or carry on, depending on how you feel.

NOTE: By this point in your trip, you will probably be a bit off schedule from what I am advising, as I don't know your driving habits and speeds at which you will be traveling. So, if you decide to stay in Toledo, I only know of one place, Toledo Travelers Inn. Here is the telephone number: 322-5365 (Go figure. I did a search for the Toledo Traveler's Inn and came up with this LINK. So, you may try to PM Bilko for information on it, if you are considering staying there.) Also note that there are piers (one in Toledo) that you can use to cross over to Negros, if you ever wish to.

Now, after you have gotten enough of Toledo, you can continue north. It is a bit populated going north from here for a ways, not like Cebu City, but pretty well for the province, because Balamban is fairly close to Toledo, so they kind of merge together. But, the water, which you will see off to your left here, will still be as it was on the south end of the island. clean and clear.

Incidentally, the road that you can see on the map (above) between Balambam to Cebu City, is the famous Trancentral Highway. That is the same road that starts in Lahug (at the intersection of Gorordo Avenue and Salinas Drive) and goes up to Busay, Mountain View, Tops, and on across the Trancentral Highway, ending in Balamban. So, if you have any reason to cut your trip short, that will be your most direct way home, at that point.

Okay, continuing north on the west side of the island. This is where my memory gets a bit foggy, because it has been a while since I have been between Balamban and Tabuelan towns. So, you are pretty much on your own regarding road conditions. Everything up to now has been fairly decent road, with the exception of south of Barili. But, once you get to Tabuelan (where another pier to cross over to Escalante, Negros Occidental is, by the way), you will want to go right on the road that comes out on the east side of the island and just north of Sogod, Cebu. This road is approximately 16 kilometers as well, from Tabuelan to the Highway, north of Sogod. I would suggest, at this point to head north. You can continue north to Bogo.

Oh, another note: Do not travel on the west side of the island between Tabuelan and San Remegio. That road is in pretty bad shape. By the time you have traveled the distance back to Tabuelan, you will have been beaten to death in the car.

Incidentally, if you wish to stay overnight in Bogo, there is a Pension House with decent, clean accommodation. It is called the Nagano Pension House. If you continue into Bogo, heading north on the highway, you will see Nagano on your right. I have stayed there as recently as June of this year. It is clean and has air-con rooms, and hot water. I just took a basic room, but the water wasn't very cold to me. Here is the contact information:

Nagano Pension House
P. Rodriguez Street
Bogo, Cebu
434-8861 or 251-2584

Of course, if you want nicer accommodation, there is always my favorite in Bogo, Nailon Beach Resort. Here is an image I took one night last year, while visiting Nailon Beach Resort:

Attached File  nailon_beach_resort_r.jpg   47.17KB   131 downloads

Here is an image of the Nailon Beach Resort pool area and rear of main building during the day:

Attached File  P9142943.jpg   73.38KB   90 downloads

(The photos on the Nailon Beach Resort site, as well as their site, are dated. They need to update the site badly.)

Okay. If you decide to continue on first, prior to going into Bogo, you can make the turn left as you come into town, toward San Remegio and Daanbantayan. Once you make this turn, you have two choices, but make them fairly quickly. You will be heading west across the island again, and will only have a few minutes (prior to the Daanbantayan turn off to the right), to decide which town to head to first. NOTE: If you decide to head on to San Remegio first, do make note of where the turn off is going on north to Daanbantayan. Here is what it will look like:

Attached File  medellin_daanbantayan_turn_off.jpg   41.28KB   93 downloads

You will see a lot of sugar cane as well, on the northern part of the island:

Attached File  sugar_cane_northern_cebu.jpg   58.54KB   84 downloads

San Remegio is a small town, but is the only pier that crosses from Cebu to Bantayan Island, at Hagnaya. You can see some photos of Hagnaya Pier on this page . This drive is only about 18 kilometers, if I recall correctly, to Hagnaya. Of course, there ain't much there, other than the pier and a small town. But, if you want, you can stop for a beer at one of the small shops at the pier. If you decide to take your car over, or park it in a secure parking area and go over on the ferry solely as passengers. Ferries leave regularly throughout the day, from Hagnaya Pier to Sta. Fe, Bantayan Island. You can leave by way of Island Shipping, Super Shuttle Ferry, or Asnar Fast Craft

Attached File  mv_island_roro_2.jpg.jpg   62.88KB   84 downloads Attached File  super_shuttle_ferry_03.jpg   17.67KB   84 downloads Attached File  asnar_fast_craft_3.jpg   42.88KB   90 downloads

If you decide not to go to Bantayan Island, there is a small resort we used to enjoy going to for a drink sometimes, in San Remegio. It is called Warren's Beach Resort. When you get to San Remegio, there will be an intersection, almost like a T junction. The road is small continuing across, but you will see how the highway continues to the left and right. (Do not go left.) Turn right to get to Hagnaya Pier and to Warren's. If unsure, just ask the way to either place. The locals will know. By the way, if you are interested in buying a resort, talk with the staff at Warren's. You will have a heart attack when you hear the asking price, but do it just for fun.

Okay, once you are done hanging out at San Remegio, you can begin heading back toward Bogo, on the road where you can take the left toward Daanbantayan. The first town you will come to after turning north, will be Medellin. I need to warn you though, the road will get pretty bad going north from here. But, there are some nice views to be had. So, take it easy during your drive north. From Bogo to Daanbantayan, you are looking at probably 45 minutes or so as far as driving time goes. (If you have any issues on the north end of the island, I will send you contact information for a friend of mine who lives up that way.)

In Daanbantayan, there isn't a lot to see. but, you can continue up to Maya, which isn't very much further, if you wish to go to Malapascua for the day. The boat fare is supposed to be Php 40, but they will try to overcharge you. If you are with Filipinos, just let them know what the fare is supposed to be and they will make sure you don't get screwed. (They will try to charge you Php 100, or more, if you don't know the going rate.) The trip will take about 30 minutes by pumpboat. You can swim right off the beach on Malapascua, or you can go to my friend Johnnie Walker's (yes, that is his real name) resort, called the Wobbly Boot, or Kuan Ba. Johnnie Walker offers what is probably the only pool on the island. The beaches are to die for, though.

Okay, heading back south, you will go from Daanbantayan, through Medellin, Bogo, Sogod, and then to Catmon, where you may wish to stop for a while, if you find yourself hungry, tired, or in need of a cold beer (or spirits). A friend of mine owns a resort called the Huna Huna Beach Resort, Catmon, Cebu, where I am supposed to go take photos and do a writeup on this weekend, in fact. So, text/call me, and, if you fellas want, we may be able to hook up while roaming around the island.

From Catmon, you can head south to Cebu, and home.

If you have further questions, comments or concerns, feel free to contact me directly.

Okay, I'm finally done!!

Edited by Paul, 08 August 2012 - 11:19 AM.
Updated Information in this post

• edluvs likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:
edluvs

#8 Angie

Angie
  • Elite Member
  • 1,030 posts
  • 70 thanks
  • 40 topics
  • My Blood Type:B+

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:38 AM

It's a shame, being here more than 9 months without seeing much of Cebu Island except Cebu city and surroundings. Me and my good local friend and driver are going on a road trip Thursday, and will be back Sunday.

We have a rental car, and about 25K in our pockets which should include everything except car rental. We would like to snorkel, see some white beaches, some nice scenery, maybe a boat trip somewhere, fishing is possible?

Anyone have a suggested route, places to go, places to sleep? Starting off Thursday morning from Cebu City, back Sunday evening.

Maayo'ng buntag, Lars.

Dili mokuyog si Vicky? Kamo ra ni Edwin ang mag road trip?

#9 Hell Boy

Hell Boy

To Hell And Back

• +Founder
  • 32,180 posts
  • 7077 thanks
  • 3,903 topics

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:45 AM

Maayo'ng buntag, Lars.

It's a guy thing, Angie. Sometimes, we like to go off and do these things ourselves.

#10 Panserhansen

Panserhansen
  • Sponsor
  • 821 posts
  • 261 thanks
  • 184 topics

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:29 AM

Maayo'ng buntag, Lars.

Maayo'ng buntag Angie! Ang akon'g asawa dili gusto..

- sun
- fishing
- trekking
- snorkelling
- the heavy music we're gonna play LOUD in the car..no Enrique Iglesias on this journey.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea