• Elite Member
  • 213 posts
  • 71 thanks
  • 10 topics
  • Local time: 04:07 PM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:49 AM

I drink wine quite frequently. Good and varied quality is best brought at Timberbox close to Ayala, wine is kept air conditioned and they have some knowledge. Second in my opinion for quality and price (no advice) would be the little wine shop by Rustans supermarket in the basement Ayala. Expect to pay P4...500 for a reasonable red from Aussie or try some of the better Chilean reds.

Good drinking

Think that's "Tinderbox". Yes, they have a wonder wine cellar.

#22 Jay

Jay

Khagan of Cabancalan

• Elite Member
  • 1,074 posts
  • 125 thanks
  • 84 topics
  • Local time: 11:07 AM
  • My Blood Type:I will not donate
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 01 December 2009 - 1:47 PM

Rustan's in Banawa has an air-conditioned wine & liquor room in the rear corner past the meat and seafood. I bought a liter of Paul Masson chablis there (11.5%) when I first got here, for use in cooking. I don't remember how much it was, but it wasn't all that much- under P300, I think.

#23 Jim Sibbick

Jim Sibbick
  • Elite Member
  • 2,184 posts
  • 381 thanks
  • 145 topics
  • Local time: 02:07 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.

Posted 01 December 2009 - 3:58 PM

Wine is no good in the Philippines.

I have tried to get a deacent bottle of redwine a lot of times but every time im disappointed:(

Even in better hotels ala Marriot or Waterfront its hard to get a bottle (imported) that lives up to the intended standard. Mostly due to the
temprature I guess.

It may be in the presentation.

Red wine needs to breath. So try letting the bottle sit open for a while.

Also, even the worst red wine can be improved with a decanter.

Regards: Jim

#24 David_LivinginTalisay

David_LivinginTalisay
  • Elite Member
  • 5,049 posts
  • 1283 thanks
  • 494 topics
  • My Blood Type:O+

Posted 01 December 2009 - 6:14 PM

I have cut down on drinking Beer and never drank a lot of Spirits.

Since I am trying to lose weight and get fitter, to minimise risk of another heart attack, that could prove fatal next time,
I dont drink much at all but will have a glass of red wine as this is actually good for ones heart (in moderation ie 1 glass per day, max 2)

</h1>

<h1>Red Wine - Heart Health benefits?
Written by Gloria Tsang, RD
Published in December 2005

Posted Image(HealthCastle.com) Does red wine protect against heart disease? Maybe. Many studies investigated the benefits of red wine suggested that moderate amount of red wine (one drink a day for women and two drinks a day for men) lowers the risk of heart attack for people in middle age by ~ 30 to 50 percent. It is also suggested that alcohol such as red wine may prevent additional heart attacks if you have already suffered from one. Other studies also indicated that red wine can raise HDL cholesterol (the Good cholesterol) and prevent LDL cholesterol (the Bad cholesterol) from forming. Red wine may help prevent blood clots and reduce the blood vessel damage caused by fat deposits. Indeed, studies showed that people from the Mediterranean region who regularly drank red wine have lower risks of heart disease

What's in Red Wine that are good for heart?

Red wine is a particularly rich source of antioxidants flavonoid phenolics, so many studies to uncover a cause for red wine's effects have focused on its phenolic constituents, particularly resveratrol and the flavonoids. Resveratrol, found in grape skins and seeds, increases HDL cholesterol and prevent blood clotting. Flavonoids, on the other hand, exhibit antioxidant properties helping prevent blood clots and plaques formation in arteries.

Best 'Value for money' Red Wine I have come across recently was on discount Promo @ wine store, Rustins 'Fresh' wine store in Ayala Center (opposite the Check outs).

Hardy's - Cabernet Sauvignon

It was a little over Php200 with the discount (Perhaps Php219?).

Hardy's are well-known and respected winemakers, based just 16 miles outside Adelaide in Australia.

Founded in 1853, the company has a long history of winemaking, and is now the second largest wine producer in Australia, taking premium grapes from over 5000 acres of vineyards throughout Australia. These facts considered, this wine seemed like a safe choice - it's obviously a popular brand, and there must be some reason behind ...
...the Hardy's website as "one of Australia's most popular, easy to drink wines". The name stems from the fact that an image of an Australian postage stamp dating from 1937 is affixed to the front of each botlle in the range. The range is affordable, at around 5.50 per 75cl bottle in the UK, but it was now time to test out the "easy to drink" part...and to determine why the range is so popular. Looking at the bottle, it certainly looks like an affordable ...

Not sure if the one on sale in Rustans was this Hardey's 'Stamp' since the bottle I bought, had a screw cap!

Hardy's serve up a surprise A lot of Hardy's wines are cheap and not as cheerful as you might find with say, South American or Spanish reds.

But this 'Stamp' Shiraz/Cab is a bit of an exception.

Reasonably amount of body to it with a touch of the spicy shiraz Australian wines should have.

You can pretty much find this wine in any supermarket, and often on special.

Wouldn't pay much over 5
for it though. There's better for your money.

Read the entire review by D Hurman from Bournemouth

Wine Information - Hardy's Stamp of Australia Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon
Colour

Red

Wine Style

Really bold red

Average Rating
Posted Image Image Coming Soon Brand

Vintage

Alc

14%

Grape

Shiraz Blend

Country

Australia

Region

South Australia

Price Band

5 to 7

Wine Type

Still

Available In

75cl

Cork/Screw Cap

Cork

Vegetarian

No

Organic

No

Available from

Asda
Co-op
Sainsbury's
Somerfield
Thresher
Waitrose

D Hurman's
Overall Rating

Posted Image
Value for Money
Rating

Posted Image
1 - Dry
5 - Fruity

Posted Image
1 - Light
5 - Full

A Good Aussie Red Wine

Advantages: Moderate Price. Pleasant
Disadvantages: Not the most exciting red wine

Australia undeniably has a growing reputation for the quality of its red wines.In particular, the area in South Australia known as the Barossa Valley,produces some fine red wines. Hardys Stamp of Australia Shiraz-Cabernet Sauvignon,South Eastern Australia is a good example of the genre. It is a very consistent wine and especially gret value for money. You will probably be able to get a bottle for around 5 pounds at the likes of Sainsbury's,Waitrose ...
...have to pay around four pounds per bottle. Originally,it seems the rather beefy,bramble-scented shiraz grape was utilised to fill out the thin and somehat weedy cabernet grape in Aussie. However,the blend soon captured the interest of wine lovers and nowadays the two grapes combined at the price level you will find in the UK,is a better but and more pleasureble than either shiraz or cabernet solo. Now what is the rather,rich,spicy red compatable ...

Posted Image ashford 06.11.2001 Read full review

Posted Image

Find us on Facebook too!

#25 mello874

mello874
  • Elite Member
  • 287 posts
  • 43 thanks
  • 1 topics
  • Local time: 03:07 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 6:19 PM

When my wifes relatives come to visit i buy them a little tuba, after dark i mix some water with used motor oil. A good time had by all.

#26 mikesaw

mikesaw
  • 106 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • 45 topics

Posted 01 December 2009 - 6:54 PM

Maria Clara Sangria is P135 at Fooda. The alcohol content is 13%. It's a bit sweet for my taste, but after adding ice and a splash of water it tastes good. I'm sure your woman would like it. I haven't noticed any hangover effect so it's a good value.

My mother in law and grandmother in law like something called "Novalinno" (or something like that). Good (for me)that it is relatively cheap! (I gather it is something like MD 20/20 or Boone's Farm)

#27 targetlock

targetlock
  • 35 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • 6 topics

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:18 PM

I tried tuba once when I arrived this year. That was in the province near Bogo. I did not care for it then. When we went to Manila for honeymoon we were invited to an upscale pool party by one of my friends family members. An old gentlemen had a bottle he said just try it then he would explain what it was. It turned out to be a very good bottle of bahalina. I then tried to find some in the province and was able to but the flavor is just not the same. In the province where I buy it we generally will get 4-5 gallons at a time. Is the flavor depending on the maker?

#28 udonthani

udonthani
  • Banned
  • 4,097 posts
  • 1546 thanks
  • 403 topics
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:00 PM

wine just doesn't taste right to me in the tropics and I almost never drink it here though I drink it elsewhere in more temperate climates a lot. It is however very cheap in the Philippines compared to all the other south east Asian countries.

#29 Bob Ward

Bob Ward

Talisay Rocks

• Banned
  • 4,783 posts
  • 1187 thanks
  • 211 topics
  • My Blood Type:A+

Posted 02 December 2009 - 7:03 AM

As was stated earlier in this thread, the California Red that is readily available around town for P110-120 is quite palatable and easy on the budget.

Novellino IS the preferred wine of the average Filipino. There are 4 different varieties which are comparable to wines most of us remember like Boones Farm and TJ Swan and others in the sweet wine with low alcohol content (4-9%) variety. One variety is like the Andre Champagnes sold in the US, cheap and kind of rough around the edges.

The best places to find wines here in Cebu are scattered here and there. Tinderbox, as noted is OK. Just up the road at the entrance to Crossroads is Darras + Bowler or DB wine shop. The Gustavian has good wines as well. But probably the best place to find wine that has been shipped and stored properly is the Urban Cellar. Cebu Wines

#30 Angie

Angie
  • Elite Member
  • 1,030 posts
  • 70 thanks
  • 40 topics
  • My Blood Type:B+
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 02 December 2009 - 7:15 AM

Has anyone of you tried "kinutil?"

It's a mixture of tuba and egg (fresh eggs) and native chocolate (sikwati.) My Mama said it's a very good appetite booster and can be intoxicating if you drink in excess.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea