• Elite Member
  • 1,074 posts
  • 125 thanks
  • 84 topics
  • Local time: 01:33 AM
  • My Blood Type:I will not donate
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:32 PM

I can't find it in the Cebu PLDT directory. Where's the dog pound or animal shelter or whatever they call it here, and what's their number? We're thinking of adopting a dog and want to visit the shelter on Tuesday.

Anyone know what that would cost and what all is required of us?

#2 Chaz

Chaz
  • Elite Member
  • 806 posts
  • 30 thanks
  • 48 topics
  • Local time: 02:33 AM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:43 PM

I can't find it in the Cebu PLDT directory. Where's the dog pound or animal shelter or whatever they call it here, and what's their number? We're thinking of adopting a dog and want to visit the shelter on Tuesday.

Anyone know what that would cost and what all is required of us?

Can't help you with that, but me and Kelly just took in two lovely pups (brother and sister) that a friend
that lives in a shanty town were selling for P700 the two so we knew the pups parents were small cute
dogs and the money helped the friend out.

We have called them Butch and Lyre, they are learning fast and giving allot of pleasure.

Wish you and Karen every luck in finding the the puppy that suits you.

Attached Thumbnails

• 28082009544.jpg
  • 28082009549.jpg

Edited by Chaz, 05 September 2009 - 07:45 PM.

#3 Jay

Jay

Khagan of Cabancalan

• Elite Member
  • 1,074 posts
  • 125 thanks
  • 84 topics

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:51 PM

Thanks, Chaz. We'd be willing to adopt a younger adult dog even, not just a puppy. As long as it was good-natured (not a biter)- Karen's afraid of dogs due to rabies, but after our recent burglary she let me talk her into letting me get one. Yay!

#4 MattFromGA

MattFromGA

Live and let Live

• Elite Member
  • 1,772 posts
  • 181 thanks
  • 79 topics
  • Local time: 01:33 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:52 PM

Jay, if you're ever going to listen to a single suggestion of mine, listen to this one: dont go with some street dog, get a real "watch dog".

I have a Doberman and its great with my < 2yr old son and yet still manages to make most every Filipino that comes by the house urinate their pants. If what you want is peace of mind when you leave you house alone or are sleeping get one of the following: Doberman, Rottweiler or pit-bull. Treat the dog well, and they will die for you if needed. Thats what I think you need. I've been through the same type of thing, though I was robbed while we slept at night. Now, I have a security company (SSMI) and the Doberman, so I'm guessing the next robbery will go over a bit better.

One thing; we used to allow lots of various people by the house for various reasons; employees, water guys, gas guys, construction guys, tattoo guys, etc. We had no dog and no home security. I guess it was a neon sign saying "hey, we got shit you can take without any worry". We did have a security guard, but he claimed to be sleeping and didnt know. Well, he's not a guard any more; just washing cars now! I sleep well knowing that no shabu freak is going to rob me without me waking now, thanks to Tina my Doberman.

#5 Jay

Jay

Khagan of Cabancalan

• Elite Member
  • 1,074 posts
  • 125 thanks
  • 84 topics

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:05 PM

I thought about a dobie, also a bullmastiff. I've known a few dobermans in the past and they were quiet, sweet dogs. A rott is too big for an apartment as is a German shepherd, and pit bulls are right out: I've read too many news stories about supposedly-gentle pet pit bulls suddenly mauling a kid out of the blue. They were bred as fighting dogs and once they bite they don't let go. I'd be worried that one would sense Karen's fear and, well, bad news. No thanks.

The reason I was going to check out the pound is that I read that it only costs P150 for a dog license, 'cause it would be nice to save a dog from the gas chamber, and 'cause locals are scared of aspin dogs because of rabies. Whatever w get will have to be not huge (turds too big) nor a yappy little rat dog.

#6 MattFromGA

MattFromGA

Live and let Live

• Elite Member
  • 1,772 posts
  • 181 thanks
  • 79 topics
  • Local time: 01:33 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:14 PM

You're right... I wouldnt have a pit-bull either cuz of my son, but you're childless and I figured you might want to consider a real "ball biter". However, the Doberman is a great compromise. Believe me when I say your wife will get over the fear of the dog within just a few weeks. Another flea biter wont make too much of a difference. We all walk past street dogs every day. Sure, if they are foaming at the mouth we might be worried, but mostly they just look at you while they take a dump/pee. However, a house bound Doberman isnt something most Filipinos see, so they get frightened by the dog when they see it. Plus, if they break into the house and threaten, the dog will go for the throat. What is worse, your wife being a bit threatened by a dog for a few weeks and then getting over it, or something like this?

#7 Jay

Jay

Khagan of Cabancalan

• Elite Member
  • 1,074 posts
  • 125 thanks
  • 84 topics

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:33 PM

Well, I'm not gonna get all paranoid. I've just been wanting a dog, and this is just an excuse to get one, really. :huh:

I've texted a couple of Karen's girlfriends who know some dog dealers about dobermans. An older pup that's already housebroken but doesn't have too many bad habits already would be ideal: we'll see.

#8 DeezNuz

DeezNuz
  • Elite Member
  • 3,507 posts
  • 506 thanks
  • 151 topics
  • Local time: 02:33 AM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:04 PM

Do they have Doberman's in the pound here?

I'd like to get one to protect my property.

#9 Jay

Jay

Khagan of Cabancalan

• Elite Member
  • 1,074 posts
  • 125 thanks
  • 84 topics

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:44 PM

Do they have Doberman's in the pound here?

I'd like to get one to protect my property.

They have whatever strays they've picked up, so it's pot luck- you'd have to call them or go and see. I saw some pics in someone's blog and there was a dalmation there then.

#10 smokey

smokey
  • Elite Member
  • 22,631 posts
  • 3839 thanks
  • 856 topics
  • Local time: 10:33 AM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:54 PM

I thought about a dobie, also a bullmastiff. I've known a few dobermans in the past and they were quiet, sweet dogs. A rott is too big for an apartment as is a German shepherd, and pit bulls are right out: I've read too many news stories about supposedly-gentle pet pit bulls suddenly mauling a kid out of the blue. They were bred as fighting dogs and once they bite they don't let go. I'd be worried that one would sense Karen's fear and, well, bad news. No thanks.

The reason I was going to check out the pound is that I read that it only costs P150 for a dog license, 'cause it would be nice to save a dog from the gas chamber, and 'cause locals are scared of aspin dogs because of rabies. Whatever w get will have to be not huge (turds too big) nor a yappy little rat dog.

jay we have 3 dogs we found one at a time hungry in the subdivision bring them in for shots only 70 peso each and a lic. 150 and your good to go ... The dogs eat anything and are very loyal and because they are native a thief has no way of knowing if the dog has shots or not so they stay away... and you get to save a dog from the gas chamber

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea