Sign in to follow this  
DaFamilyGuy

The dangers that lurk around...

Ok guys,

I spent a great deal of time browsing through the site today. I've read alot of threads about the security and safety issues in Cebu. Quite frankly, I am really surprised at the number of posts concerning these issues. But the thing that has me confused is that I have heard time and time again that Cebu is generally safer than Manila.

I pick up the vibe that alot of the "safety and security" things being discussed here are more of preventive measures. (Which is great. A little paranoia is much more healthy than a little gunshot wound.) And while I agree that one can never be too safe, is a bit of what is sometimes discussed here (no pun intended)overkill? (IE stockpiling weapons of mass destruction, opening your own bedroom armory, hiring ex-headhunting natives, borrowing some of Micheal Vick's puppies, etc.)

As I have mentioned before I have been living in Manila for a few years now and I haven't always lived in or hung out in the safest of places. To be honest, I have had only two negative incidents here in Manila. One of which ended unpleasantly for me, the other unpleasant for the asshole that wanted to rob me. Of course, I am usually very aware of my surroundings and I am pretty quick to notice trouble so that probably wards off some trouble.

I am sure that Cebu has its "hot spots", just like Manila, but then I dont frequently go for midnight strolls in Tondo. So, my question is....Is it true that Cebu is generally safer than Manila?

Edited by DaFamilyGuy

Manila is way too big to generalize. Maybe if you wanted to compare parts of Manila with Cebu... that would be easier.

Manila is way too big to generalize. Maybe if you wanted to compare parts of Manila with Cebu... that would be easier.

Wow, thats a great idea. As I am not too sure about exactly how big Cebu City is in comparison to Manila, I will just throw a couple ideas out.

Let's see...

Cebu City vs. Makati (Makati has the image of being relatively safe but in reality there are frequent news reports about violent crimes in the city.)

Cebu City vs. Malate (Personally, I avoid Malate unless I need to head to the Embassy.)

Cebu City vs. Pasay (Pasay is an extremely diverse area so it may be hard to compare. You have Mall of Asia, which is safe, but you also have Baclaran, which is shady at best.)

Cebu City vs. Taguig (This is the Fort Bonafacio area. I would say that the Fort and Ortigas, which is in Pasig City, are most likely the two safest areas in Metro Manila.)

Edited by DaFamilyGuy

Well as manila has 10 times plus more people its stupid to say ... there are more of this or more of that in manila then cebu... i think compared to the area you are in and your lifestyle is the major factor is you make the papers... I think manila has more to do ... parks,,, entertainment etc... and if you live in manila you can say ... drive to baguio or drive to subic which to me would be a good thing.. when i go to bagio i have to take taxi and that is a drag sometimes i just want to stop and hang out and your always pressed to get from a to b..

Well as manila has 10 times plus more people its stupid to say ... there are more of this or more of that in manila then cebu... i think compared to the area you are in and your lifestyle is the major factor is you make the papers... I think manila has more to do ... parks,,, entertainment etc... and if you live in manila you can say ... drive to baguio or drive to subic which to me would be a good thing.. when i go to bagio i have to take taxi and that is a drag sometimes i just want to stop and hang out and your always pressed to get from a to b..

I'm not really concerned with the entertainment and so forth. Hell, we live here in Manila and we rarely do anything at all. My question is concerning safety. Based on what I've read on this board today, it seems that a lot of you guys in Cebu are much more conscious about safety issues than guys here in Manila are and that kinda runs contrary to what I've been hearing about Cebu being safer. So I am trying to get to the bottom of it. :)

I'm not really concerned with the entertainment and so forth. Hell, we live here in Manila and we rarely do anything at all. My question is concerning safety. Based on what I've read on this board today, it seems that a lot of you guys in Cebu are much more conscious about safety issues than guys here in Manila are and that kinda runs contrary to what I've been hearing about Cebu being safer. So I am trying to get to the bottom of it. :D

well i have not been harmed in any way ... but.... i dont use jeepney , i dont live outside the guarded subdivision,,, i dont drink ,,, i dont do drugs.. i dont pick up hookers and i dont go to bars... so FOR me in cebu its safe..... and in manila i am safe.... but we do have home protection.... a lic. 45, with 3 extra clips... and 3 native dogs ..

Ok guys,

I spent a great deal of time browsing through the site today. I've read alot of threads about the security and safety issues in Cebu. Quite frankly, I am really surprised at the number of posts concerning these issues. But the thing that has me confused is that I have heard time and time again that Cebu is generally safer than Manila.

I pick up the vibe that alot of the "safety and security" things being discussed here are more of preventive measures. (Which is great. A little paranoia is much more healthy than a little gunshot wound.) And while I agree that one can never be too safe, is a bit of what is sometimes discussed here (no pun intended)overkill? (IE stockpiling weapons of mass destruction, opening your own bedroom armory, hiring ex-headhunting natives, borrowing some of Micheal Vick's puppies, etc.)

As I have mentioned before I have been living in Manila for a few years now and I haven't always lived in or hung out in the safest of places. To be honest, I have had only two negative incidents here in Manila. One of which ended unpleasantly for me, the other unpleasant for the asshole that wanted to rob me. Of course, I am usually very aware of my surroundings and I am pretty quick to notice trouble so that probably wards off some trouble.

I am sure that Cebu has its "hot spots", just like Manila, but then I dont frequently go for midnight strolls in Tondo. So, my question is....Is it true that Cebu is generally safer than Manila?

I have lived in Cebu only 3 months now, but my impressions so far are its reasonably safe and the people generally are friendly. Yes you need

to be aware of security issues and use some common sense but if you do that its reasonably safe. I have been to Manila and didn't have any

problems there either, I think maybe Cebu City a little safer than Manila but outside of the city in the provinces I'm sure is safer.

I'm not sure which security issue posts you are referring to but if its the ones advocating that foreigners should be allowed to own and carry

handguns I can see why you would feel concerned for safety in Cebu. Do I think there is someone waiting round every corner here with

an illegal hand gun waiting to rob the next Kano that comes along? well no, its unlikely many can afford a gun and the ammunition for it.

Do I think every Kano here is in danger if they are not carrying a hand gun? Well no I think to attempt a shoot out is more likely to result in

you getting shot.

My thoughts are if you avoid carrying large sums of money around needlessly, and if in the unlikely even you are robbed at gun point you

just hand over something (dummy wallet with some cash in it is a good idea), I think its unlikely you will get shot. A gunfight at the OK Corral

situation as a flight of fancy as advocated by some on this forum is not the sensible solution (just the quick route to jail for a Kano) so don't worry about it and have a nice day :D

I have lived in Cebu only 3 months now, but my impressions so far are its reasonably safe and the people generally are friendly. Yes you need

to be aware of security issues and use some common sense but if you do that its reasonably safe. I have been to Manila and didn't have any

problems there either, I think maybe Cebu City a little safer than Manila but outside of the city in the provinces I'm sure is safer.

I'm not sure which security issue posts you are referring to but if its the ones advocating that foreigners should be allowed to own and carry

handguns I can see why you would feel concerned for safety in Cebu. Do I think there is someone waiting round every corner here with

an illegal hand gun waiting to rob the next Kano that comes along? well no, its unlikely many can afford a gun and the ammunition for it.

Do I think every Kano here is in danger if they are not carrying a hand gun? Well no I think to attempt a shoot out is more likely to result in

you getting shot.

My thoughts are if you avoid carrying large sums of money around needlessly, and if in the unlikely even you are robbed at gun point you

just hand over something (dummy wallet with some cash in it is a good idea), I think its unlikely you will get shot. A gunfight at the OK Corral

situation as a flight of fancy as advocated by some on this forum is not the sensible solution (just the quick route to jail for a Kano) so don't worry about it and have a nice day :)

Gee chaz you are an expert already and you have only been here 3 months...

Gee chaz you are an expert already and you have only been here 3 months...

Maybe its a bit like being at sea where there is always potentially a storm over the horizon that can come up quick and bite your Ass. But I will admit

I have a bit of a blazee attitude, I find its better to think of yourself as expendable and then if I get blown away at least I already had a good life so

not worth worrying about it :)

While it might at first appear like I'm one of the anti gun lobby (and before I get accused of that) I'm not, I actually think in somewhere like Huston

or Miami where the majority of people have a gun and there is allot of gun crime there is merit in owning a gun and carrying one for self defense. I just don't

think that situation exists in Cebu so it doesn't merit gun ownership here.

Edited by Chaz

in my two tours in Viet Nam i can say i honestly NEVER seen a fist fight or ever heard of someone stealing money or things from each other i used to wonder why till i realized in Viet Nam .... we had our share of dopers , thieves etc etc but for some reason they chose to not be in a place where the guy they were stealing from would hear or see them as that would lead to early retirement .... Everyone was created equal

Edited by robert51