#1 dormouse

dormouse
  • Inactive Member
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 2 topics
  • Local time: 12:23 PM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:49 PM

Does anyone know of GOOD driving schools here in Cebu? I need to get four Filipino guys drivers' licenses before November and they need to know how to drive, not just pass the test. Unlike the States, these guys (in their 20s) have NEVER driven a vehicle before. I can (I suppose) teach them the rudiments - and have a heart attack in the process. From earlier posts (2005) the quality of drivers education is terrible here. Thoughts?

#2 Hell Boy

Hell Boy

To Hell And Back

• +Founder
  • 32,185 posts
  • 7078 thanks
  • 3,903 topics
  • Local time: 11:23 AM
  • My Blood Type:AB+
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:09 PM

I have seen a few advertised around town, on billboards and such. But, I can't say that I could recommend any of them. I didn't think an actual driving test was required, by the way most drive here... including myself. :rolleyes:

#3 Markham

Markham
  • Banned
  • 3,396 posts
  • 1267 thanks
  • 162 topics
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:49 AM

I think all new drivers must wait for one year before they can apply to have their Student Permit upgraded to a full Drivers Licenese and can only drive if accompanied by a full License holder.

There is a driving school office in SM Mall you can try - I believe it's called AAA Driving School - but cheap it isn't.

#4 thebob

thebob

The one and only.

• VIP
  • 10,384 posts
  • 2594 thanks
  • 343 topics
  • Local time: 01:23 PM
  • My Blood Type:AB+
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:20 AM

My GF and her sister both took the Vehicle operation and maintenance course at a university in Dumagette. There must be a similar course in Cebu. She is one of the few women here who can tell you the difference between a crankshaft and a camshaft.

It was a 120 hour course (took 3 months) and the University provided a jeep and assisted with student permits. After completion the certificate is evidence of driving instruction and the LTO gives them a paper/practical test. No time limit to get a full driving license, but I believe it's a year until you can get a professional one.

#5 gugma_09

gugma_09
  • Inactive Member
  • 50 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • 1 topics
  • My Blood Type:No option.

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:19 AM

I had my driving lessons with Reva Driving School 2 years ago. I paid 2,100 pesos for the 10 sessions. 1 hour per session per day. On my first day,the driving instructor taught me the basic for 10 mins. Then I was behind the wheel already. .Drove around in the busiest street in cebu city--Colon (scariest moment in my life). Anyway, it was fun and exciting. I learnt how to drive from them but I learnt the techniques of driving from our ex taxi driver (which is also important).

I think all new drivers must wait for one year before they can apply to have their Student Permit upgraded to a full Drivers Licenese

In my case, I applied for my student license before I went to a driving school. After 6 months, I applied for my Non-Proffessional driving licenses. I had a written exam and a practical exam at North Reclamation (very easy..and paid 150 pesos for the multicab rent). Then I got my driver's license within a day.

can only drive if accompanied by a full License holder.

This is right. Student license holder is only allowed to drive accompanied by Proffessional driver license holder (Non-Proff is not allowed).

There is a driving school office in SM Mall you can try - I believe it's called AAA Driving School - but cheap it isn't.

It's A1 driving school. I think they are the most expensive driving school in town. Two years ago, their rate was 10,000 pesos for 10 sessions (1 hour/session/day).

#6 gugma_09

gugma_09
  • Inactive Member
  • 50 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • 1 topics

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:28 AM

You can find a drivng schools in Sunstar Newspaper. There are heaps of them.

#7 ancienrocka

ancienrocka
  • Elite Member
  • 918 posts
  • 369 thanks
  • 79 topics
  • My Blood Type:A-

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:07 AM

We used the Crim Driving School when Elsa had lessons.

She learnt how to drive in about 10 lessons - the last lesson was how to drive a getaway car!

Once you get past the jokes about the name they're not bad - about 2500pesos incl obtaining student permit
Posted Image

#8 joop

joop
  • Inactive Member
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 1 topics

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:23 AM

My wife had her driving school in SM, a bit expensive though but she has better driving skill than me after the course although I've been driving for five years now. Worth it, she's now taking the kids to/from school while Im away.

#9 ckfm

ckfm
  • Sponsor
  • 3,004 posts
  • 151 thanks
  • 65 topics
  • Local time: 08:23 PM
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:38 PM

I think A1 are far better than the others, around 7,000 pesos. I have tried different driving schools (wife, brother in law etc.), prices vary from 2,000 to 7,000, the more you pay, the newer the cars and the more professional the service.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea