Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ramel

U.S. Passport renewal in Cebu

13 posts in this topic

I'm planning to visit the U.S. Consulate in Cebu to renew my US passport. I already have the DS-82 form, photos, and know the M-F 9am-11am office hours. I called the U.S. Embassy in Manila and they said it should take 2-3 weeks. However, I have never been to the Consulate in Cebu and have a few questions.

1) I don't live in Cebu and cannot wait 2-3 weeks for the new passport. Will the U.S. Consulate in Cebu setup the FedEx delivery of the new passport to my non-Cebu address -OR- do I need to arrange with FedEx in Manila to handle the new passport delivery?

2) Is there usually a line of people waiting for the office to open at 9am -OR- is it relatively easy just to arrive at the U.S. Consulate in Cebu and get served quickly? Since I'm planning to visit Cebu only to get the passport renewal, I want to schedule my time appropriately.

3) Has anyone had any unexpected problems with passport renewals they care to share. For example: does it really take 2-3 weeks -OR- is this part of EXPEDITED service? Any issues with FedEx delivery?

Thanks

Since living in the Philippines, I have had two passports stolen. Both times, it took about two weeks for the replacement passport to be delivered here. I picked it up at the consulate, which is located, by the way, in the Waterfront Hotel, Lahug.

I believe that is their typical delivery time, or it was years ago. (The last passport I had stolen was in 2004.)

I'm sorry I can't be of further help than that.

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha001.html#renew

Passport Renewal

All US citizens seeking passport, citizenship and birth registration services should first contact (63) (2) 879-4747 (ACS-Air21/FEDEX Local Courier Service), 7:30am - 4:30 pm, Mon-Fri, except American and Philippine holidays) to obtain a hardcopy of the necessary forms and requirements listed below.The US Embassy has partnered with Air21/FedEx to provide blank forms, pick-up completed forms and documents, and deliver passports/Consular Report of Birth Aboard to any location in the Philippines for a nominal fee.

Requirements

(for renewal)

Personal Appearance: If your most recent passport was issued at the age of 16 or older and issued less than 15 years ago, the personal appearance requirement is waived and you can use FORM DS-82. All others will need to complete Form DS-11 and appear before a US consular officer at the US Embassy. Applicants will be contacted by the US Embassy to set-up an appointment after the application form is submitted.

TWO-PARENT CONSENT LAW: NOTARIZED STATEMENT OF CONSENT IS NOW REQUIRED FOR NON-APPEARING PARENT. APPEARANCE OF BOTH PARENTS IS STRONGLY ENCOURAGED

Parents of minor applicants must execute the passport application in person at the U.S. Embassy in Manila or the Consular Agency in Cebu. Both parents must provide evidence of identity (such as a passport, photo ID) and original proof of parentage (such as the child

I called the U.S. Embassy in Manila, but they would not answer my questions about passport delivery. Instead, they referred me to call FedEx to obtain the forms (which I already downloaded) and FedEx told me to ask the U.S. Consulate in Cebu for further information. However, the telephone of the U.S. Embassy in Cebu is automated and provides no usable information on the question of delivery outside of Cebu and I cannot get directly in touch with anyone at the Consulate.

So, let me restate two of my original questions...

Q: Can I just show up at at 9:00am to the U.S. Consulate in Cebu and expect a VERY short line (or no line) of people -OR- is this like the U.S. Embassy in Manila where hundreds of people will be waiting in line since 6:00am ?

Q: Can I just walk into the U.S. Consulate in Cebu with all the requirements for passport renewal and THEY will be able to handle the FedEx delivery of my new passport to a different island than Cebu? I know they send the old passport to Manila....but what I've asking is HOW to arrange FedEx delivery since I've not going to Manila myself and they are not delivering blank DS-82 forms to me outside Cebu.

The only reason for this trip to Cebu is because FedEx no longer can accept the passport fees, so my only option is go to Cebu or Manila...and I prefer Cebu.

Thus, I only have one day in Cebu to accomplish this renewal and would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Short answer yes you can do in Cebu!!! Also to get thru on phone but still can take long time and many calls dial number ,when the recording starts hit 2 wait a second or two when message starts hit 0 the phone will ring but most of the time get another recording say no one available, call back ,i did over a period one hr. finally got thru after 11.30 as they are there all afternoon he said. Just be in line at 9 am 8.30 if you want low number but you will be seen that day.You can pay in Pesos or dollars .good luck tonny

Every time I've been to the Cebu consulate The line wasn't too bad I waited on the average about a half hour to see the front desk guy. Then when the consulate shows up (usually 1030) no more than another half hour wait

Thanks for the help. I went to the U.S. Consulate, whose entrance is actually outside of the Waterfront hotel. The staff worker arrived around 8:30am and I was done by 8:50am. There were only five others waiting ahead of me.

The renewal fee was $60 USD or peso equivalent. No expedite fee was charged. Was told delivery of passport in 3-4 weeks. To arrange for FedEx delivery, all that was needed was a simple piece of paper saying:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attn: U.S. Embassy in Manila

Please deliver my passport using FedEx to the following address:

.............. your name

.............. street address

.............. city

.............. philippines, postal code

contact number(s) ................................................... signed name

................................................................................ printed name

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was told that FedEx will collect a small delivery fee upon actual delivery,

though I have no idea what that fee will be as of now.

HTH

Thanks for the help. I went to the U.S. Consulate, whose entrance is actually outside of the Waterfront hotel. The staff worker arrived around 8:30am and I was done by 8:50am. There were only five others waiting ahead of me.

The renewal fee was $60 USD or peso equivalent. No expedite fee was charged. Was told delivery of passport in 3-4 weeks. To arrange for FedEx delivery, all that was needed was a simple piece of paper saying:

Attn: U.S. Embassy in Manila

Please deliver my passport using FedEx to the following address:

.............. your name

.............. street address

.............. city

.............. philippines, postal code

contact number(s) ................................................... signed name

................................................................................ printed name

I was told that FedEx will collect a small delivery fee upon actual delivery,

though I have no idea what that fee will be as of now.

HTH

If I remember it right, my American, (:D:):lol: sorry can't help it, I am really just kidding :o) paid FedEx 125 pesos three years ago!!

The FedEx delivery fee I paid was almost P300 and it took exactly 4-weeks from the day I hand-delivered my old passport and renewal fees with the form to the US Consulate in Cebu till the new passport was delivered.

Thanks

Thanks for the update!