• 199 thanks
  • 135 topics
  • Local time: 12:56 AM
  • My Blood Type:I will not donate
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 08 May 2009 - 7:39 AM

English-Cebuano dictionary launched
Updated May 08, 2009 12:00 AM

CEBU, Philippines The Visayan Academy of Arts and Letters Foundation Inc. (Akademyang Bisaya) yesterday launched its special project, the English-Cebuano Visayan Dictionary.

Now available in the market, the 1,214-page English-Cebuano Dictionary with 66,000 English words provided with meaning and translations in Cebuano.

Its creation was started in 1991 by writers and researchers of Akademyang Bisaya. Its completion took series of debates and thorough researches by top Cebuano teachers, writers, poet and novelists.

The aim of its publication is to distinguish the Cebuano dialect from other Visayan language, and to develop the usage of Cebuano-Visayan language in places where it is used.

The three main authors of the dictionary were lawyer and Cordova Mayor Adelino Sitoy, president and managing editor; lawyer Cesar Kilaton, Jr., executive editor; and Rogelio Pono, associate editor.

The Akademyang Bisaya has already started crafting the Cebuano-English Dictionary.

-Jessica Ann R. Pareja/LPM (THE FREEMAN)
http://www.philstar....bCategoryId=107

#2 Paul

Paul

Culture Shock

• +Founder
  • 34,534 posts
  • 7743 thanks
  • 4,059 topics
  • Local time: 08:56 AM
  • My Blood Type:AB+
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 08 May 2009 - 7:57 AM

English-Cebuano dictionary launched
Updated May 08, 2009 12:00 AM

CEBU, Philippines – The Visayan Academy of Arts and Letters Foundation Inc. (Akademyang Bisaya) yesterday launched its special project, the English-Cebuano Visayan Dictionary.

Now available in the market, the 1,214-page English-Cebuano Dictionary with 66,000 English words provided with meaning and translations in Cebuano.

Its creation was started in 1991 by writers and researchers of Akademyang Bisaya. Its completion took series of debates and thorough researches by top Cebuano teachers, writers, poet and novelists.

The aim of its publication is to distinguish the Cebuano dialect from other Visayan language, and to develop the usage of Cebuano-Visayan language in places where it is used.

The three main authors of the dictionary were lawyer and Cordova Mayor Adelino Sitoy, president and managing editor; lawyer Cesar Kilaton, Jr., executive editor; and Rogelio Pono, associate editor.

The Akademyang Bisaya has already started crafting the Cebuano-English Dictionary.

-Jessica Ann R. Pareja/LPM (THE FREEMAN)
http://www.philstar....bCategoryId=107

Jessica, dear, Cebuano is its own language, not a dialect.

#3 Jay

Jay

Khagan of Cabancalan

• Elite
  • 1,079 posts
  • 125 thanks
  • 84 topics
  • Local time: 12:56 AM
  • My Blood Type:I will not donate
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 08 May 2009 - 8:27 AM

I wonder if by "Cebuano dialect" she means Visayan as spoken in Cebu City as opposed to that of the province(s)? OTOH I'm told that many of the people here came from the provinces so there are actually several dialects and accents here...

In any event this book sounds like a great resource for newcomers, and even for locals for that matter.

#4 overthere-really

overthere-really
  • Inactive Member
  • 129 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • 5 topics
  • Local time: 09:56 AM
  • My Blood Type:No option.

Posted 08 May 2009 - 8:51 AM

Here's something else you can use too if you aren't already aware of it;
http://bansa.org/dictionaries/
This site has 20 Philippine languages that you can translate back and forth to and from English. It's got 12,000 Cebuano words!
Also here is their download page where you can download all the dictionaries in one application. (13mb)You can park it on your desktop or anywhere since it doesn't need to be installed. Like the website it can translate multiple words at once but it's much faster;
http://www.bansa.org/dict-download/

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea