neptune

Independent crowdfunding to help street people

14 hours ago, HongKongPhooey said:

I notice your use of the term “free”. It’s not free. The hard working citizens of the country are paying for it in taxes. You shouldn’t be encouraging people to take advantage of government programs but rather to work, and improve their lives, rather than relying on government assistance. You are part of the problem not the solution.

You will notice in the first sentence I suggested that the OP first educate himself on the government programs that are already available to the poor in the Philippines. Something you obviously haven't done yourself, or you would know that they come with conditions. The poor in the Philippines can not rely on the government to take care of them forever. The programs are designed so they can't be abused in such a way. 

The MCCT is a one time deal and the housing and livelihood training assistance is only available for one year. If they can not become self sustainable in that amount of time, that's it. If they fail to take advantage of the training during the first few months of enrollment, their benefits will be terminated even earlier than that. 

The 4P's program is only available for families who have children enrolled in school. The child must have an 85% attendance record and have passing grades in all subjects. The children must undergo the required medical checkups throughout the year, and the parents must attend monthly classes. Once there are no longer school aged children in the household, or if the family fails to meet all of the required conditions, they are no longer eligible for benefits. 

The above are the two biggest government assistance programs available, but there are several others and some are even available on a local level and they all come with conditions that the beneficiaries must meet.

When I said these benefits are free, I meant free to the beneficiaries, of course the money to support them has to come from somewhere. Taxes cover much of the costs, a portion of Philhealth's premiums paid by customers pays some, and organizations like the World Bank finance a lot of the costs.

As for my position on handouts, below is a screenshot of a post I made on FB page a while back. 

5a2a3dbba51b7_fbcomment.jpg.fa7a6b9eb93c334e72db88441777409a.jpg

Here are a couple of comments I have made in the past about beggars on this forum. 

On 12/20/2016 at 12:07 PM, Tullioz said:

It is encouraging to see that no one in this thread gives money to these children who are asking or is encouraging anyone to do so. Giving money to them should be avoided at all cost. While many of them may legitimately be in need, giving them money only encourages more begging and more children to join them in this practice.

A lot of people do not realize that the children they give a few coins to today could be a teacher, a nurse, a doctor, or someone successful someday but will never be if they encourage them to continue begging by giving them money. What seems like an act of charity, in reality, ruins these children’s chances of realizing and reaching their full potential as they become adults. Giving money also encourages these children to roam the streets and endanger their lives rather than attend school. Without an education they have no future and the cycle of poverty they find themselves in can not be broken. Never give money to child beggars.

On 12/20/2016 at 2:23 PM, Tullioz said:

Hardly a day goes by that I don't see someone giving kids money here. It's too bad they don't realize the harm they are doing. That cute little kid asking for money is someday going to be a teenager with no education, no job skills, and no future. There are rare exceptions to this, but in most cases this will be the end result. 

So based on my previous comments on this subject, I think you and I are on the same page when it comes to handouts whether it be from the government, or at an individual level. 

The OP was asking about starting a crowdfunding page to help street people and I gave him advice based on my personal experience. When I started out I was spending my own money on many things that the government already had programs for. It only makes sense to steer people towards those programs rather than ask people online to donate money to cover the costs involved in helping them when it is already there. 

When you incorporate the government programs with your own efforts, and more importantly the efforts of the people you are trying to help, it's a winning combination for all involved. 

Edited by Tullioz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Headshot said:

The truth is that anybody who really wants to improve their lot ... can. My FIL worked as a house boy for four years to put himself through school to become a certified machinist, a job that he has held ever since. He will never get rich as a machinist in Cebu, but he was able to support a family.  He never asked the government, or anybody else, for help in improving his life (or that of his family). Anybody who simply relies on others to help them up ... doesn't really have enough motivation to get up even with help.

However, that is NOT to say that nobody has ever helped the family. When my wife's little sister had leukemia and then died, family friends and one of the Monsignors here in Cebu (who had known the family forever) helped them to shoulder the great financial burden. That monsignor later married my wife and I at the Cebu Cathedral. Of course, my wife and I help out with family emergencies now, but one should not think that just because there isn't a foreigner in the picture, there is nobody willing to help.

Bill..  I'm surprised that you didn't suggest people to watch that population video you posted.  It's an excellent way to see the best ways to help people move upwards in a developing country.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tullioz said:

So based on my previous comments on this subject, I think you and I are on the same page when it comes to handouts whether it be from the government, or at an individual level. 

And I stand corrected. Good reply and apologies.

Edited by HongKongPhooey
To clarify

10 minutes ago, HongKongPhooey said:

And I stand corrected. Good reply and apologies.

No problem. I probably could have went into more detail in my first post and the confusion could have been avoided all together.  I hope most people would agree that throwing money at the poor or giving them handouts on a regular basis without accountability or any effort on their part, weather it be from private citizens or the government, is never a good idea. 

On 11/30/2017 at 8:55 PM, neptune said:

I'd like to run an indpendent crowdfunding donation on gofundme or another platform with videos of the people I interview and meet and try to funnel some money into the worlds of a small percentage of people.  I'm not trying to be a saint playing Jesus in Asia.

Looking for creative ideas to raise some money to do a little bit of good and can provide video documentation of where the money goes. 

True non profit.

There are a few already in motion. Kiva is one that I've funded a few people's pleas on when one of my bleeding heart friends sucks me into one of their pet projects.

Funny enough so far (touch wood) the paybacks have all been without default. Can't say the same thing about my other for profit crowd lending portfolio!

It seems that I would be wasting my time and effort to attempt an effort of good will of this sort.

So Maybe just buy some clothes, books, or something of the sort and donate them to a school or charity for a Christmas.  

It is Christmas coming up, and I'd like to do something for someone, I don't have a lot to offer but I can do a little bit somewhere while I'm in Cebu.  

This entire discussion has been very informative and you all have some really good stories of your experiences.

7 minutes ago, neptune said:

It seems that I would be wasting my time and effort to attempt an effort of good will of this sort.

hk64Dqs.gif

2 hours ago, neptune said:

Maybe just buy some clothes, books, or something of the sort and donate them to a school or charity for a Christmas. 

There are actually plenty of orphanages here on Cebu that would happily take your gift of clothing for the children (school supplies would also be most welcome). It is amazing how many children here are without parents. You might get with the head of an orphanage, and ask for specific sizes for children in need of clothes. You will feel better, and you will know that your gift actually went where it was intended.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Or adopt a school..  and help them with educational materials.

My own community has a club.. similar to Lions or Kinsmen back I North America, that gets involved in local charitable projects. I joined a few years back, one of just 2 foreigners in the club.  This year we graduated 6 students that were sponsored by the club, and one of the club members independently sponsored the review costs for one of the teaching students, a disabled girl, who rewarded us all by passing the Board Exam.  Costs nothing to join, and each member gives only what they can. And membership alone has its own rewards.

Edited by to_dave007

On 12/1/2017 at 12:55 PM, neptune said:

I'd like to run an indpendent crowdfunding donation on gofundme or another platform with videos of the people I interview and meet and try to funnel some money into the worlds of a small percentage of people.  I'm not trying to be a saint playing Jesus in Asia.

Looking for creative ideas to raise some money to do a little bit of good and can provide video documentation of where the money goes. 

True non profit.

Good luck... hope you are successful..