neptune

Independent crowdfunding to help street people

I'd like to run an indpendent crowdfunding donation on gofundme or another platform with videos of the people I interview and meet and try to funnel some money into the worlds of a small percentage of people.  I'm not trying to be a saint playing Jesus in Asia.

Looking for creative ideas to raise some money to do a little bit of good and can provide video documentation of where the money goes. 

True non profit.

• Like 1

Do you know what poor people here do if they hit the lottery? They immediately throw a huge party with catering and entertainment for the whole neighborhood that blows the entire amount they won. Then they go back to living exactly how they were living before they won. They are more interested in showing off to family and acquaintances than they are in investing for their (or for their children's) future. The same thing happens if you give them money they didn't earn. Don't try to be "The Millionaire" here in the Philippines. It will just be throwing money down a rat hole.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Headshot said:

Do you know what poor people here do if they hit the lottery? They immediately throw a huge party with catering and entertainment for the whole neighborhood that blows the entire amount they won. Then they go back to living exactly how they were living before they won. They are more interested in showing off to family and acquaintances than they are in investing for their (or for their children's) future. The same thing happens if you give them money they didn't earn. Don't try to be "The Millionaire" here in the Philippines. It will just be throwing money down a rat hole.

Same way a good portion of lottery winners in the US do

If I hit the lottery I will put all the money to good use,  like women and whisky.  I'll probably waste a little bit also

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jester said:

If I hit the lottery I will put all the money to good use,  like women and whisky.  I'll probably waste a little bit also

BS. I've read enough of your post. You're already Filipina whipped…

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Headshot said:

I'm an ideas guy, with a mind that frequently brings out random ideas, and even more ideas occur when beer is involved. 

Rarely do I actually do anything with my ideas, but I give them a lot of thought before moving on to another idea. 

I keep coming up with them and a lot of them seem great when they develop rapidly in my mind, only to become useless the following day.

That happens to me too when I drink beer. Its natural, but should not be posted on social media such as LIC as it can lead to abusive responses. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

We all live comfortably and other people are suffering everyday.  We have our laptops and our devices, some of the people I'm meeting in Cebu just have a piece of cardboard to sleep on and a small bag to contain a few things.

I'm not trying to create a storm of stupid social media comments.  I'm just trying to think of what I can do to help.

Unfortunately, this is becoming the standard everywhere in the 3rd world. It is best to do something for one or two such as buying school supplies for the bright ones. The street people are too difficult to get results from as they are so culturally different from us, they may be suspicious of our intentions. The best thing is to find if someone has started a ministry to help them in your area and support their program.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, neptune said:

We all live comfortably and other people are suffering everyday.  We have our laptops and our devices, some of the people I'm meeting in Cebu just have a piece of cardboard to sleep on and a small bag to contain a few things.

I'm not trying to create a storm of stupid social media comments.  I'm just trying to think of what I can do to help.

As someone who operates a charity based program here in the Philippines and who made many costly mistakes starting out,  the best advice I can give is to educate yourself about the government programs already available to the poor in this country and help people enroll in them. You will be able to do a lot of good with no financial requirements of your own by taking this route. 

For example, you can help homeless families enroll in the Modified Conditional Cash Transfer Program (MCCT) which will provide a rent subsidy of up to P4,000 per month for one year. During this time members of the family can receive free livelihood training and hopefully start earning enough income to sustain themselves by the time the one year period is up. 

If they have school aged children they can enroll in the  Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4P's) and receive a monthly allowance of P300 per elementary level child and P500 for high school. There are other benefits included in the 4P's such as a monthly rice subsidy, monthly health grant of P500, free check ups, maternity care, and classes on parenting. 

Educate the poor about the free medical care and medicines that are available to them through the Department of Health and the No Balance Billing Policy.  Many people here get sick and die because they are unaware that there is help for them from the government.

Raising money for the poor on an individual level is a noble idea and I commend you for wanting to do something, but unless you are going to commit a whole lot of time and put a lot of effort into helping, you are going to be throwing a lot of money away as Headshot pointed out. 

For example, raising money to buy uniforms and school supplies for children is pointless if you don't constantly monitor each child's progress and keep them motivated to go to school everyday. 

Raising money and handing it out to poor families would be completely pointless as would raising money to feed people if you don't do it on a strictly regulated schedule and all of the daily nutritional requirements for each individual are not met.

Either educate the poor on what's already available to them, or take the advice in the post just above this one and help change the world of one or two. Anything beyond that will require a full time commitment and a lot of hands on involvement on your part.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2