Having started a new fit out project in the city, i must say my observations amazed me, having never been to Davao City before.

The streets are so clean and free of litter.

No small sidewalk traders.

People really are generally scared to jaywalk.

Taxi's are honest and a pleasure to use.

All over, such am amazing contrast to the City of Cebu. No wonder people voted for Duterte, his city is, to me, wonderful.

All pics taken on the walk to site approx 7.30 am on a weekday.

PIC 1 A main road in the city, 3 lanes, 1 way.

Pic 2 A side road that joins the main road

Pic 4 An even smaller side road

Pic 3 and 5 A main one way road, scene of the night market bombing. Thats Marco Polo hotel in Pic 5

20171123_063325 (Copy).jpg

20171123_063535 (Copy).jpg

20171123_064004 (Copy).jpg

20171123_063752 (Copy).jpg

20171123_063950 (Copy).jpg

Edited by Tinbum
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

There you go. Roddy's legacy to Davao. Hopefully he can change the rest of the Philippines just as radically as he changed Davao.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the pictures . My wife and I have put Davao on are first stop to settle down . You tube videos are so helpful . That's the first thing we notice how clean it was . They have a 911 service . Very good internet and you can rent furnished from 25,000 with a pool .Only have 18 more months to go  ..when we're ready maybe someone on this board has a nice rental ..

2 hours ago, papimafioso69 said:

Thanks for the pictures . My wife and I have put Davao on are first stop to settle down . You tube videos are so helpful . That's the first thing we notice how clean it was . They have a 911 service . Very good internet and you can rent furnished from 25,000 with a pool .Only have 18 more months to go  ..when we're ready maybe someone on this board has a nice rental ..

No public smoking, either. It used to be a Php 10,000 fine for smoking in public. Not sure if that has increased? 

One question. Are folks afraid to be out and about there? I see hardly anyone on the street.

• Like 1

Five photos "prove" that an entire city with a population of over 1.6 million and land area of almost 950 square miles is "clean" and "wonderful"?!

Why should people be "afraid" to jaywalk or smoke etcetera in their own city? Are they citizens or subjects?

I'm a lifelong non-smoker who dislikes smoking and don't have a problem with smoking being banned inside public buildings. But why shouldn't smokers be allowed to light up outdoors in public? Smoking outdoors is perfectly legal where I'm at in the USA, and I can't remember ever being bothered outdoors by cigarette smoke.

No street vendors? Why not? It's not like they're on every street in Cebu. As long as they don't run up and get in people's faces, I don't see a problem with it. I don't have any issues with basic free enterprise.

Remember that the entire island of Mindanao is still under martial law, and with Duterte's crackdown on Islamofascists in Mindanao, Davao City is a big fat target for terrorism. I'm sure I'll be accused of being "paranoid" here - but I see the good mayor of Davao City, whose last name is also Duterte, has had the city "on "lockdown" or in a "hold and secure situation" ever since the declaration of martial law.

Nothing like that good ol' military checkpoints and curfew living!

"We are discouraging travel to and from Davao City if it's not an urgent matter to attend to"

Sara Duterte, Mayor of Davao City

http://www.philstar.com/nation/2017/05/24/1703160/no-longer-lockdown-davao-city-under-hold-and-secure-status

Yes, they still have slums in Davao City, "informal settlers" living along streets, traffic problems etcetera:

Duterte bares plan to relocate slum dwellers in Davao City

Edited by Kabisay-an gid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Why should people be "afraid" to jaywalk

Well it does keep traffic flowing a little more smoothly and kind of safer for the pedestrian..Yes there are a huge amount of street vendors and Badjao beggars..As far as martial law went here it was really not that noticeable or a major inconvenience..The PNP are back to wearing there blue uniforms instead of the camouflage.. Curfew is for the 18 and under...

" Smoking outdoors is perfectly legal where I'm at in the USA, and I can't remember ever being bothered outdoors by cigarette smoke." Im sure we have laws in the USA that do not agree with the rest of the world...Just saying

Edited by liquido

5 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Why should people be "afraid" to jaywalk or smoke etcetera in their own city? Are they citizens or subjects?

Because it is actually against the law and people should want to follow the law.  And there are many valid reasons for the law.  If you don't like the law and feel like a subject you are free to live in the province.

and I can't remember ever being bothered outdoors by cigarette smoke.

Some people are but perhaps the main reason may be that outdoor smokers tend to toss their butts wherever.

No street vendors? Why not? It's not like they're on every street in Cebu.

No, they're on the sidewalks so people have to walk in the street to get around them.  That takes up traffic lanes and adds to the traffic problems.  And of course, to get to/from their place they have to push or pedal their cart in the traffic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Paul said:

No public smoking, either. It used to be a Php 10,000 fine for smoking in public. Not sure if that has increased? 

The fine is still a maximum of 10,000p...

• Thanks 1