RogerDat

Mactan has 2 working red lights now! May be others, but have not seen.

I was at the old bridge, and city hall intersection today, and the traffic lights are working, with count down displays. been 9? years since I saw this here.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RogerDat said:

I was at the old bridge, and city hall intersection today, and the traffic lights are working, with count down displays. been 9? years since I saw this here.

Apparently the back story is that the pillocks installing those dumb street lights for the apec summit many years ago severed a lot of the traffic light cabling in the process and the local government never really got on top of that one ever since .... the set of lights at the end of the airport road should stay busted as it works much more efficiently without them or any interfering traffic directors. 

• Like 3

We will see how they work on regular days, yesterday was a holiday,

Passed thru the light at the intersection to the old bridge - around 11AM today. Traffic was backed up past the Shell station.

I noticed that the red light timer would start at 199 and not countdown until after maybe 2 minutes.

Also noticed that the green light counter would go from 43 seconds to 0 in 1 click!

• Like 1

Hope not of topic but I have never been in any other place - country or state - that have lights with almost 3 1/2 minutes duration.

30 / 40 Sec in US seems long.

• Like 1

The traffic lights are based on someones job-when it will cost the traffic director their job the wires somehow magically get cut and they are back to work.

If my experience in PH is any indication, these will only be obeyed in the presence of a uniformed traffic police presence, or if they have automated mini-guns added to the control circuits. Both those options seem unlikely as a daily thing but I'm willing to be proved wrong. 

5 hours ago, I-Fitz said:

The traffic lights are based on someones job-when it will cost the traffic director their job the wires somehow magically get cut and they are back to work.

Naw. The same traffic director is still standing somewhere nearby, but now they have a remote control in their hand. That is why traffic signals here magically go from 43 to 9 seconds instantly.

People here actually do obey the traffic signals for the most part (when there is one). The reason some traffic signals seem to take forever to cycle is that traffic speed is determined by the slowest intersection in the area (which is usually controlled by a traffic director). Traffic directors here always give priority to side streets and parking lots rather than to the main street because it is somebody in the local area who is paying them. Therefore, they will always cause traffic to back up on the main street.

• Like 1

The real problem on Mactan is too many people go to school, and work in Cebu,and Mandaue. Same thing was the problem in Newport News VA.

Now up to 3 sets.

End of old bridge, town hall, and the airport road intersection.