Jump to content

Recommended Posts

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Know what else could benefit from blockchain tech? The US voting system, implement that along with Voter ID cards and the Dems won't win a presidential election in decades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, RangerUp said:

Know what else could benefit from blockchain tech? The US voting system, implement that along with Voter ID cards and the Dems won't win a presidential election in decades.

There are quite a number of applications this could be used for, including that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The key innovation is a trusted method for reaching a consensus algorithmically. The "santoshi's" that the ledger also tracks are supposed to be mere payment for keeping the ledger up to date, not the main application of the blockchain. 

Trusted third parties are a major drain on the economy worldwide, in the USA alone they account for trillions of wasted dollars just making sure a transaction is 'real' because apparently apes will sometimes cheat. I don't expect an industry this huge to go down without quite a fight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RangerUp said:

Know what else could benefit from blockchain tech? The US voting system, implement that along with Voter ID cards

I could see this being a great improvement to voting but I'll never be in favor of internet voting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I could see this being a great improvement to voting but I'll never be in favor of internet voting. 

Some states are using this technology to protect documents and such, I read recently. So, not only for voting. But, I imagine that will be one thing that does end up happening, online voting. I imagine, if they can secure it well enough, it will get more people involved in elections, since they don't have to exert the energy to actually get their asses out of their homes to go vote. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paul said:

Some states are using this technology to protect documents and such, I read recently. So, not only for voting. But, I imagine that will be one thing that does end up happening, online voting. I imagine, if they can secure it well enough, it will get more people involved in elections, since they don't have to exert the energy to actually get their asses out of their homes to go vote. 

If it's properly secured it could work. When was the last time the government did something properly that didn't involve military action?

It's a public ledger, so in theory it is useful for any information that needs to be publicly verifiable. Of course crypto makes it possible to obscure what the record is to the general public. For instance if every credit user generated a public/private key pair and then give the public key for their credit history, then creditors could add credit history to the blockchain, but that history could only be read by entities who the credit user allowed to use his private key. 

Obviously idiot resistant key management would have to be a thing and laws regarding non-storing of provided keys would probably need to be passed. 

In the case of voting, each voter would have to be securely provided with a key, and they would encrypt their vote and insert it into the ledger. The vote tabulator would have the decrypting key - if it decrypts using a good key, it's a valid vote. The big issue: 90% of the population is to dumb to understand (and thus trust) what we're talking about. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DeedleNuts said:

If it's properly secured it could work. When was the last time the government did something properly that didn't involve military action?

Fair enough. I recently read that Georgia was using the technology, and others were as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

  • Adsbygoogle

    Advert

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Donation Goals

    General Donation Fund

    A single donation fund, for costs associated with the forum, including licensing renewals, site hosting, and application costs. The site was just transferred to a new VPN, offering more resources and speed.



    $139.15 of $1,800.00 goal reached.
    Donate Now
  • Donation Stats

    • Total Donations
      $139.15
    • Total Fees
      $5.85
    • Total Goals
      $1,800.00
    • Still Needed
      $1,660.85

    • $139.15 of $1,800.00 goal reached.
  • Adsbygoogle

    Advert

×