• Like 2

Know what else could benefit from blockchain tech? The US voting system, implement that along with Voter ID cards and the Dems won't win a presidential election in decades.

33 minutes ago, RangerUp said:

Know what else could benefit from blockchain tech? The US voting system, implement that along with Voter ID cards and the Dems won't win a presidential election in decades.

There are quite a number of applications this could be used for, including that. 

The key innovation is a trusted method for reaching a consensus algorithmically. The "santoshi's" that the ledger also tracks are supposed to be mere payment for keeping the ledger up to date, not the main application of the blockchain. 

Trusted third parties are a major drain on the economy worldwide, in the USA alone they account for trillions of wasted dollars just making sure a transaction is 'real' because apparently apes will sometimes cheat. I don't expect an industry this huge to go down without quite a fight. 

5 hours ago, RangerUp said:

Know what else could benefit from blockchain tech? The US voting system, implement that along with Voter ID cards

I could see this being a great improvement to voting but I'll never be in favor of internet voting. 

15 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I could see this being a great improvement to voting but I'll never be in favor of internet voting. 

Some states are using this technology to protect documents and such, I read recently. So, not only for voting. But, I imagine that will be one thing that does end up happening, online voting. I imagine, if they can secure it well enough, it will get more people involved in elections, since they don't have to exert the energy to actually get their asses out of their homes to go vote. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul said:

Some states are using this technology to protect documents and such, I read recently. So, not only for voting. But, I imagine that will be one thing that does end up happening, online voting. I imagine, if they can secure it well enough, it will get more people involved in elections, since they don't have to exert the energy to actually get their asses out of their homes to go vote. 

If it's properly secured it could work. When was the last time the government did something properly that didn't involve military action?

It's a public ledger, so in theory it is useful for any information that needs to be publicly verifiable. Of course crypto makes it possible to obscure what the record is to the general public. For instance if every credit user generated a public/private key pair and then give the public key for their credit history, then creditors could add credit history to the blockchain, but that history could only be read by entities who the credit user allowed to use his private key. 

Obviously idiot resistant key management would have to be a thing and laws regarding non-storing of provided keys would probably need to be passed. 

In the case of voting, each voter would have to be securely provided with a key, and they would encrypt their vote and insert it into the ledger. The vote tabulator would have the decrypting key - if it decrypts using a good key, it's a valid vote. The big issue: 90% of the population is to dumb to understand (and thus trust) what we're talking about. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeedleNuts said:

If it's properly secured it could work. When was the last time the government did something properly that didn't involve military action?

Fair enough. I recently read that Georgia was using the technology, and others were as well.