Jim Sibbick

How little can you live on in the Philippines?

Just now, Thomson said:

160,000 pesos per year? He's still spending too much for the kind of lifestyle he's living. He doesn't have electricity and is living in the mountains, with no running water. 

I'm sure he's providing for everyone in the family, so he's the only spender in the whole house, and maybe even people around him.

They do have electricity. 

• Like 1

Just now, Paul said:

They do have electricity. 

Oh I didn't see that.

I still think it's a lot for the kind of lifestyle he's living. 

4 minutes ago, Thomson said:

160,000 pesos per year? He's still spending too much for the kind of lifestyle he's living. He doesn't have electricity and is living in the mountains, with no running water. 

I'm sure he's providing for everyone in the family, so he's the only spender in the whole house, and maybe even people around him.

His immigration fees and airfare back and forth every year will eat up half that amount easily.

And, kids are expensive.

Edited by shadow

I assumed the airfare would be excluded. This amount is a fortune compared to what other Filipino families spend in their area, i'm sure.  We as foreigners always end up spending more, for some reason. 

• Like 1

I kind of admire that he is able to get by with almost no western amenities. For myself I would not want to do that at my age.. 30 years ago maybe.
I live very comfortably on about 60kP a month for the 2 of us..and still able to send each month to her family in the province. I rent a nice house..own my own transportation..drink and eat as I wish. ..travel around some...and I am still able to save enough to go back to the States to visit family about once a year. On my retirement income alone. I COULD live on it in the states but I would be in constant "scrimp and save" mode... It is a good feeling to have ..being able to have the lifestyle I want with only my monthly income and not have to dip into savings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, lamoe said:

Gave ex-wife 50 K cash from my half of settlement - not a loan - so she could buy a condo free and clear without touching her reserves or having a mortgage and she gets 10 K / yr extra  from me because she has medical bills  that I don't

If Charity and I do stay together she will also be very well taken care of.

You're leaving your wife how much?

More than that!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm done with this thread.

Edited by angbumabasa

Please veer back to the topic at hand, and away from how much you left your ex.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, shadow said:

Please veer back to the topic at hand, and away from how much you left your ex.

10-4.......I told you I wouldn't give you any heartburn. I'm done with this thread.

What is this thread becoming the person who lives the cheapest is the happyist well i am very very very un happy then but heck i try to make it 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Thomson said:

This was in 2009 - 2010. I was still a newbie, nowadays I would probably be able to do it on 20,000p if needed because I know how to cook local foods now.

Damn I envy you...I would love to see a budget breakdown of this. I was under the impression that the locals can live on 10k a month because they live with family/friends and they pool there money together.