Jim Sibbick

How little can you live on in the Philippines?

I watched a BBC show last night called Where The Wild Men Are with Ben Fogle.

Ben Fogle has filmed an American living in Southern Leyte not far from Padre Burgos. 

Since the show is made for the BBC, Ben Fogle talks in pounds. He seems to indicate that the American's only income is from an annual trip back home to the USA to work as a taxi driver where he "nets" £2,500.

I have often said it doesn't matter how much you have to live on, you can live on it in the Philippines. It is just the level of comfort that will vary.

If I have the story correct, the American is living on about P160,000 a year.

See for yourself here how he does it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1itjmq

Edited by Salty Dog
Added Linked Video
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 9

1 hour ago, Jim Sibbick said:

I watched a BBC show last night called Where The Wild Men Are with Ben Fogle.

Ben Fogle has filmed an American living in Southern Leyte not far from Padre Burgos. 

Since the show is made for the BBC, Ben Fogle talks in pounds. He seems to indicate that the American's only income is from an annual trip back home to the USA to work as a taxi driver where he "nets" £2,500.

I have often said it doesn't matter how much you have to live on, you can live on it in the Philippines. It is just the level of comfort that will vary.

If I have the story correct, the American is living on about P160,000 a year.

See for yourself here how he does it.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1itjmq

Great vid. He looks to be living the dream. 

"Home is where you hang yourself".

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I've seen videos of him in the past, maybe on Youtube? I forget now. It's been some time back. 

While I can appreciate simple living, and have lived in a simple concrete house, a nipa hut, and a bed spacer, I cannot - will not live without a bum gun. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Sweet wife, great family, doesn't get any better than that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Paul said:

I've seen videos of him in the past, maybe on Youtube? I forget now. It's been some time back. 

It has been posted several times on this forum in the past. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mr. Mike said:

Sweet wife, great family, doesn't get any better than that.

Well, until he has any kind of medical emergency. Then he has no money and no access to anyplace or anyone that can help him.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Well, until he has any kind of medical emergency. Then he has no money and no access to anyplace or anyone that can help him.

You mean like his father in law?  Yep, I think the man has realized that living like a filipino means getting treated like a filipino.  Not everybody values life at any cost.  That is a western concept, and truth is:  I've seen a lot of expats spend a lot of money on "medical emergencies" and die anyway, leaving their families a lot poorer.

I respect the man for knowing the risks and doing it anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, A_Simple_Man said:

You mean like his father in law?  Yep, I think the man has realized that living like a filipino means getting treated like a filipino.  Not everybody values life at any cost.  That is a western concept, and truth is:  I've seen a lot of expats spend a lot of money on "medical emergencies" and die anyway, leaving their families a lot poorer.

We moved here in 1995 with 2 young kids and very little money. I enjoyed living like a Filipino and i knew the risks, however after one of our kids became sick and we ended up with a 30k hospital bill, i realized that it wasnt just about me me me. What happens if one of his kids become sick? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, maximian said:

We moved here in 1995 with 2 young kids and very little money. I enjoyed living like a Filipino and i knew the risks, however after one of our kids became sick and we ended up with a 30k hospital bill, i realized that it wasnt just about me me me. What happens if one of his kids become sick? 

Fair enough. Where Quinn lives, there is a hospital close by. Here in Cambodia,  the nearest one is in Battambang, 30 Kilometers away. But, not sure I would want to go to any there, if I were very sick. So, for me personally, I have lived many years longer than my dad did after retirement. If I died tomorrow, I would be okay with it. I hope I don't. But, I would be.

1 hour ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Agreed. As my years in the Philippines proved, I lived where I wanted to, and how. I didn't concern myself with dying, needing to be near a modern medical facility. I would rather have a few years of happiness - then passing, than having to live somewhere near a medical facility - that may not stop me from dying anyway, if I were to become seriously ill. 

Hell, when I was at Matrix's place in Oregon, it was some distance to any medical facility. I drove down to Corvallis just to get to a higher rated hospital for treatment. That was something like a 30 to 45 minutes drive, as I recall. 

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

As has been stated, it isn't always about worrying over being near a modern medical facility. Not to mention, he's happier. I am a firm believer in that happier people stay healthier anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maximian said:

however after one of our kids became sick and we ended up with a 30k hospital bill, i realized that it wasnt just about me me me. What happens if one of his kids become sick? 

If one of his kids got sick the same thing would happen as would happen if the child's father had brown skin.  There is no special treatment, that I am aware of, for the children of foreigners on a low budget.  It does not seem to stop people of all income levels from having kids though.

It seems to me that money buys better medical care for your kids in most places in the world.  We all want the best medical care for our kids but most of us cannot afford that.  So we do what we can with what we have, wherever we are.  I expect that the individual in the video would have come up with 30K for the hospital bill, as you did, and then gone back to work for a while longer to come up with that money.

This individual also cannot afford to send his kid to private school.  It is what it is.

• Like 2