Haxton

Looking for a pain clinic (Migraine patient)

My mom used a Chiropractor  to help with her pain and nausea.

Bright lights, strong smells, and loud noises can bring on an attack. our daughter gets headaches when she eats MSG.

Hey^^

Yeah, diet can be a trigger (glutamat, histamin, etc), but patients should keep in mind that although it is recommended to step up your diet, for the biggest %-tage of patients it is just not the most significant trigger.

It is important to be aware of that, since nowadays there is a large industry behind since of course everyone likes money which is operating with guilt-tripping patients.

But in reality, for the vast majority of patients the diet-thing is not the most significant cause -> excpetions do exist (if you are allergic to certain ingredients or over-sensitive) + stepping up your diet should be regardless in any case a solid idea.^^

6 hours ago, Haxton said:

although it is recommended to step up your diet, for the biggest %-tage of patients it is just not the most significant trigger.

For me, flashes of very bright light is the trigger. It has nothing to do with diet. Luckily for me, I get a warning that a migraine is coming, so I can actually avoid the pain, if I medicate immediately. My warning is that I will get jagged tears in my vision, with kaleidoscopic patterns running through them (always in the same vivid colors of red, blue, yellow, black and white). I started getting migraine headaches back when I was serving my first enlistment in the Air Force. The first one I had caused me to go totally blind for six hours along with excruciating pain for two days. I was under a great deal of stress during that time, and thank God, I wasn't in Laos when the first one hit me.

For me, medication is fairly simple. I just take two Migraine Excedrin and then take two more thirty minutes later. If necessary, I take a third set of Migraine Excedrin thirty minutes after the second set. That will prevent the onset of pain. Of course, I also have to avoid any bright lights during that time as well (to be honest, I have to avoid flashes of extremely bright light any time). Luckily for me, the doctor treating me found the key to preventing the actual headaches fairly quickly (which is amazing because in the late sixties, not much was known about migraines). I don't think I could have survived those headaches, if I had encountered one when I was in the field. Of course, back then, there was no such thing as Migraine Excedrin, but it is just large doses of aspirin, acetaminophen and caffeine. Taking those in large quantities immediately on the onset of symptoms was enough to knock down my headaches. When Migraine Excedrin came out, it was a Godsend.

Edited by Headshot

@Headshot:

Your warning is likely an Aura - some migraine-patients to develop as the 1st phase (pre pain-phase) something which is called an Aura (one symptome there is a blurred vision, and/or seeing lines, spots, etc...in some extreme cases it can even happen that you will be temporarily blind).

Yeah, Excedrin basically consists of same irgedient as you can find in aspirin, caffein and paracetamol  - unfortunately for many migraine-patients at some point the common painkillers have no more effect and you need to get Triptans, for instance.

But I am glad that you can manage it pretty well:)

• Like 1

Yeah, I know. I have been extremely lucky that the Migraine Excedrin continues to work for me. It isn't just regular Excedrin (which doesn't work for me). Migraine Excedrin is specifically made for migraines. There have been times when it was difficult to find, so last time I found it in the US (this summer), I really stocked up on it.

Hey^^

Yeah, I have not known this med before and hence I do not know about the exact difference of the various Excedrin products, but all what matters that it does the job for you:)

maybe it is the special combo of ingredients which works so well, but again - just glad that it works pretty well^^

• Like 1

Have we any other posts suggesting pain clinics, on topic, which would be a benefit to many of us oldtimers (I could use some trigger point injections and a possible epidural in my lower back if I get the courage to have one done here) ...thanks in advance for the pain clinic or pain management doctor suggestions, and for those suffering with migraines as I have, hopefully you get relief.