lynette

raindrop refractive surgery

Has anyone had this new eye procedure called raindrop refractive procedure, done in Cebu? I am coming in May and want to possibly have it done.

Thank you

I had laser surgery done in Istanbul some years ago and i still feel no problems.
I was short sighted - my short sight is still gone and I do have a 100+% on both eyes.
I start noticing problems now reading the tiny texts on packages - so I think I need to get some reading glasses - but thats what the doc told me that it might happen when you get older.

I can recommend lasertherapie - it takes not longer than 5 minutes for both eyes and best you do it in the afternoon - so your eyes can "heal" overnight while you sleep.
I did it like that - and next morning our group of patients that were treated already went shopping to the mall - only needed was to apply the eye drops regularly for the next weeks to avoid infections.

BUT - I wonder why you need that "raindrop" thing.

I checked hat that is and for me it seems only necessary when your eye muscle doenst work - usually focussing is done my the muscle in the eye - thefore the lens inside your eye is changed by muscle contractions.

If you are short sighted than a ragular laser will do - you might then need reading glasses for short distances - but a fixed lense in the eye would always bother me. Just think about that this lens is ALWAYS in your line of view - so if you look far it might be ok - but what on near view ? Would be like wearing glasses for short sighted people when reading a book - that cannot work !

Edited by Goetz1965
added information

FDA approves Raindrop near vision inlay for presbyopia.

https://www.healio.com/ophthalmology/refractive-surgery/news/online/{bf8602f4-19a2-4fba-ad88-168974c59d5d}/fda-approves-raindrop-near-vision-inlay-for-presbyopia

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved the Raindrop near vision inlay for implantation in the cornea to improve near vision in some patients with presbyopia, the agency announced in a press release.

The Raindrop inlay (ReVision Optics) is the second FDA-approved implantable corneal device for correction of near vision in patients who have not had cataract surgery, and the first device to change the shape of the cornea to correct vision, the release said.

“Given the prevalence of presbyopia and the aging of the baby boomer population, the need for near vision correction will likely rise in the coming years,” William Maisel, MD, MPH, deputy director for science and chief scientist in the FDA’s Center for Devices and Radiological Health, said. “The Raindrop near vision inlay provides a new option for surgical, outpatient treatment of presbyopia.”

In a clinical trial, near vision of 20/40 or better was achieved in 336 of 364 patients (92%) 2 years after implantation, the release said.

The Raindrop inlay is indicated for use in patients aged 41 to 65 years who have not had cataract surgery and are unable to focus clearly on near objects or small print and need reading glasses with +1.50 D to +2.50 D of power but do not need glasses or contact lenses for distance vision.

It is not recommended for patients with severe dry eye, active eye infection or inflammation, keratoconus, abnormal corneal features, certain autoimmune or connective tissue diseases, insufficient corneal thickness, recent herpes infection, uncontrolled glaucoma or uncontrolled diabetes.

Potential complications include glare, halos, foreign body sensation, infection, inflammation, dry eye, epithelial ingrowth and corneal scarring, swelling, thinning or melting.

Perspective

John A. Hovanesian

Approval of the Raindrop near vision inlay is extremely exciting news for both patients and physicians, giving us yet another option for presbyopia correction and underscoring the validity of inlay technologies for emmetropic presbyopic patients, our greatest refractive challenge. These devices really work well. Patients are extremely happy with them. Technology is at its best when it becomes invisible, working for the patient's benefit without any effort. LASIK does this for refractive error, and now we have two approved inlays that provide the same benefit for presbyopia.

John A. Hovanesian, MD, FACS

OSN Cataract Surgery Section Editor

Disclosures: Hovanesian reports he is a consultant and investigator for Revision Optics.

10 hours ago, lynette said:

Has anyone had this new eye procedure called raindrop refractive procedure, done in Cebu? I am coming in May and want to possibly have it done.

Thank you

If you are coming from a western country which offers the treatment, you may want to explore having it done there.  From some prior research I did for similar eye care, the costs here were nearly identical to those being offered in the USA. 

I'm not suggesting a lower quality of care.  It just may be simpler to have it done in your home country in the event there are any issues with the treatment. 

Thank you for the reply Jawny.  It is really my husband that need it that procedure, but I think he is researching now to have it done here in States.

Lynette