smokey

ATM CARDS YOU CAN LOAD ON LINE ???

Blessed wit a batch of 6 children one the youngest of course finds the need to hit up dad for 100 us 8 months a year. Then birthday and christmas my question is a way to skip the western union line and 15 dollar fee by trying a atm card i can load i have accts here bdo and union any one with experience doing this

if the atm is tied to an account you can use transferwise or world remit

The kid's in the US?  Do you have accounts there?

Yes i have us acct also but she is here often so tthat means she will pay a fee if not in us when used?

In the us they are like gift cards but i notice many times the card is used but not completely and after some months its in activated and you loose balance

4 minutes ago, smokey said:

In the us they are like gift cards but i notice many times the card is used but not completely and after some months its in activated and you loose balance

Most of those gift cards can only be used with US based merchants / credit card processing as well. 

3 hours ago, smokey said:

Yes i have us acct also but she is here often so tthat means she will pay a fee if not in us when used?

I opened 2 savings accounts at HSBC in the US.  http://www.hsbc.com/  (Not hsbc.com.ph) And funded them with like $5 from web billpay from another US account.  That was enough for them to send me the ATM cards.  Then I put a chuck of money in one of them and gave the ATM card for the other to the person I was sending money.  Then if I needed to give them say $100, I could log in and do an instantaneous transfer from one account to the other and the money is there and available right then.  That ATM card can be used at HSBC near Ayala with no fee and decent exchange rate.  And all over the US of course.

Edited by SkyMan

48 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I opened 2 savings accounts at HSBC in the US.  http://www.hsbc.com/  (Not hsbc.com.ph) And funded them with like $5 from web billpay from another US account.  That was enough for them to send me the ATM cards.  Then I put a chuck of money in one of them and gave the ATM card for the other to the person I was sending money.  Then if I needed to give them say $100, I could log in and do an instantaneous transfer from one account to the other and the money is there and available right then.  That ATM card can be used at HSBC near Ayala with no fee and decent exchange rate.  And all over the US of course.

Wonder if similar could be done with Schwab. In which case there would be no ATM fees regardless of country. 

Edit - But don't try to open a Schwab account while abroad they will flag it and make you visit an office. 

Edited by Monsoon

6 hours ago, smokey said:

any one with experience doing this

With my ex gf I set up a bank account for her in Phils and was able to transfer to it and she could withdraw on an ATM card.  But the problem was she did not accept that if her balance runs below 2K pesos then there is a service charge of somewhere between 300 and 500 pesos (depending on the bank) per month.  So when I put 5,000 pesos a month into her account you could count on 10% of that evaporating as service charges and she couldn't figure out . . LEAVE 2,000 IN THERE!

We have had some limited success with a Palawan Pawnshops/RCBC Visa Card.

59f9b2779b3de__RCBCCard.JPG.1d49f49394a58609e4d98a544a3378e7.JPG

I can load the card using my Canadian Bank's online banking system (Visa transfer). Loading can be almost instantaneous - but there are times when it seems slow (24 hours - at the weekends). Using this card is like a very easy to use, but expensive, remittance service. Fees and exchange rates are typically more expensive than World Remit, MoneyGram etc.

Limited success because the card has loading limits  (P100k/Month) that are almost impossible to keep track of. A failed loading attempt results in a reversed transaction with no explanation as to why. 

However, the card appears to have functioned well as an ATM / Debit card.

My partner prefers this card over her own bank account ATM card because it permits higher cash withdrawals at ATMs. I can do direct to bank account transfers via World Remit (can't through my Canadian online banking - can through my UK online banking but those are wire transfers and take days) but I haven't suggested she ask her bank to increase her ATM limits :)

PS The card holder has to be 18 at least I think. Application is at a Palawan Pawn Shop - not RCBC.

Edited by Paddy

I haven't tried this one but it looks like it may be your answer.  You can link it to your PayPal and load it online.

https://paymaya.com/faq/

What is PayMaya?

PayMaya is an app that gives you a virtual prepaid card for shopping online, booking flights and more. Depending on your mobile network, you either get a virtual Visa or Mastercard. You can also pay bills, send money, and more, in-app. Load up your PayMaya at over 15,000 partners such as 7-Eleven, Palawan Pawnshop, Smart Padala Centers, SM Stores Business Services and Robinsons Department Store Business Centers. 

There’s a PayMaya physical card, which you can use to pay in establishments that accept credit or debit cards. This is a prepaid card that you can load up with cash at the same partners. It works here and abroad and it’s embedded with an EMV chip for your security. You can link the physical card to the app so that it shares one wallet with your virtual card you can view all your transactions in-app.