3 hours ago, Paul said:

What do you plan to go with? Diesel would be my choice, over petrol / gasoline. Put it in a building, or at least under a shelter. When I had mine in Bogo, I ran the exhaust straight up through the roof of the dirty kitchen, with a rain cap on top of the pipe. MUCH quieter that way. 

An automatic transfer switch (ATS) would be a godsend. While I have never personally installed one anywhere I live, I have been places where they were. Waits a few seconds after mains disconnect, and then starts. Upon mains restored, runs a minute or so under no load, then automatically shuts down. 

EDIT: Here, you can get a Denyo, 15kva (~12,000 watts) generator, for about $3,500 USD. 

Definitely diesel! Haven't decided on the make yet, depends on what's available and serviceable locally! We will build a generator and switch room by the main gate and do our best to reduce noise as much as possible. Prices pretty close to what you're quoting for between 19 and 12.5 Kva!

The automatic transfer would be great but for now we have a manual system. The auto might be pushing the limits of the local electrician's skill set!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Flakes said:

Whats the rent And sqm?

Around 65 square meters. Jury's still out regarding rent!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Barryrio said:

Definitely diesel! Haven't decided on the make yet, depends on what's available and serviceable locally! We will build a generator and switch room by the main gate and do our best to reduce noise as much as possible. Prices pretty close to what you're quoting for between 19 and 12.5 Kva!

The automatic transfer would be great but for now we have a manual system. The auto might be pushing the limits of the local electrician's skill set!

You may want to consider propane over diesel . Propane lasts for ever where diesel can break down. 

6 hours ago, Travis said:

You may want to consider propane over diesel . Propane lasts for ever where diesel can break down. 

Lol! With the shaky power service we get here the diesel won't have time to break down buddy!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barryrio said:

Lol! With the shaky power service we get here the diesel won't have time to break down buddy!!!

Emergency backup power, you're a nice guy. Most landlords could give a damn if the power goes out, not their problem. That is unless you will be charging them the cost of operation plus a percentage...:P

Edited by Salty Dog

6 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Emergency backup power, you're a nice guy. Most landlords could give a damn if the power goes out, not their problem. That is unless you will be charging them the cost of operation plus a percentage...:P

No percentage - but it will hopefully give us an edge in the market when push comes to shove!!!

• Like 1

Just now, Barryrio said:

No percentage - but it will hopefully give us an edge in the market when push comes to shove!!!

I lived in Dumaguete for several years. I would guess that the expats are still arriving faster than you could build housing for them. Many that already live there would probably be glad to get as far away from the city as they can, yet still have easy access...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Travis said:

Diesel is one heck of a lot cheaper than propane in the Philippines. And the quality of propane (BTU wise) here is very questionable. Very. Any generator should be run at a minimum of once a month for a half an hour whether you need it or not. Once a week for 20 minutes is preferred. In my almost 8 years living in the Dumaguete and Valencia area I have never seen a time when a generator sat around long enough unused for any fuel to go bad, not even gasoline. Gas or diesel which ever you have, just take the stored fuel and dump it in your car or truck once every couple of months and get fresh fuel for your back-up supply. Running your generator periodically will keep the fuel in it fresh and the internal parts lubricated which should be done anyhow. For battery operated models you must run them anyhow to stay charged or keep them hooked up to a trickle charger. I have had both diesel and gas generators here. Right now I have a gasoline one as my car is gas. That is where I put my stored 5 gallons of gas every other month if not used.  Your mileage may vary  on power outages where you live. I think it was 4 or 5 years ago we went without power for 10 days and the house we are in at that time wouldn't even have water without electric,. We and our neighbors were mighty happy we had that generator. We charged all their cell phones, lap tops, flashlights or whatever for them I am sure they were very happy about that. And not one complaint abut the noise from the generator. Changing the oil in home generators is crucial as is clean fuel in any of them. One word of caution. Do not overload your unit. Study very carefully on the surge watts vs. running watts. Be careful of the startup wattage on your appliances versus the running wattage also. Most units here advertise the surge watts and is not the running wattage, of which it is recommended you only use 75% of that  running wattage anyhow. Do your math carefully. Cheers :o)

• Thanks 3