• Elite
  • 599 posts
  • 32 thanks
  • 61 topics
  • Local time: 04:26 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 07 April 2009 - 7:22 PM

Our water supply generally has poor pressure, so we fill our two 600 Ltr water tanks during the night [that's when pressure is best] and use this water to service our place through out the day. some of our neighbors have water wells, so we made some informal inquires into the costs and it seems to be around the 25,000 php mark for drilling a well but know guarantees they'll hit water, I've seen water wells drilled in other developing countries with hand augers and a small solar power pump added which seemed very cheap and effective,that is of course until the drilling team leave and the solar panel is stolen. the reason I mention this is while I was doing some searching on the net I found this youtube video of a very simple and cheap method of drilling a well, just thought others might find it interesting, could be useful for lowland agricultural projects or farming of livestock

http://www.youtube.c...laynext_from=PL

John

#2 smokey

smokey
  • Elite
  • 24,556 posts
  • 4122 thanks
  • 908 topics
  • Local time: 01:26 AM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 07 April 2009 - 9:43 PM

Our water supply generally has poor pressure, so we fill our two 600 Ltr water tanks during the night [that's when pressure is best] and use this water to service our place through out the day. some of our neighbors have water wells, so we made some informal inquires into the costs and it seems to be around the 25,000 php mark for drilling a well but know guarantees they'll hit water, I've seen water wells drilled in other developing countries with hand augers and a small solar power pump added which seemed very cheap and effective,that is of course until the drilling team leave and the solar panel is stolen. the reason I mention this is while I was doing some searching on the net I found this youtube video of a very simple and cheap method of drilling a well, just thought others might find it interesting, could be useful for lowland agricultural projects or farming of livestock

http://www.youtube.c...laynext_from=PL

John

there is a rumor going around that you need permission to dig a well now as the government is claiming the water ...

#3 A_Simple_Man

A_Simple_Man

Once a night in shining armor

• Sponsor
  • 5,682 posts
  • 1432 thanks
  • 134 topics
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:00 PM

In the area of Canada that I come from, the well water is too Alkali for humans to drink (well you can drink it but it tastes terrible and it rusts your pipes so we generally give it to the cattle). We solve that problem in a few different ways but one popular way is to put a cistern in the ground, galvanized tin on your roof, and run rain water into the cistern. The cistern needs to be big enough so the dirt all settles to the bottom and you only actually use the top 2/3 then clean it out once in a while. If you are a sanitation freak you add a little bleach to the water to chlorinate it and some people use a filter on the tap they drink out of. I'm alive to tell you its good water.

So, with all the rain we get here, and all the tin roofs, why doesn't anyone use that system here?

#4 thebob

thebob

The one and only.

• VIP
  • 11,199 posts
  • 3308 thanks
  • 358 topics
  • Local time: 05:26 PM
  • My Blood Type:AB+
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:05 PM

there is a rumor going around that you need permission to dig a well now as the government is claiming the water ...

Water drilling permit from the DENR.

Requires a geological survey to estimate the impact on the size of the aquifer.

Then planing permission from the municipality.

Permit to operate.

Then monthly analysis for the first 6 months. Yearly after that.

And it must be reported to BIR. because it increases taxable value.

And it should be annotated on your title.

Lots of hassle just for a hole on your property.

#5 misty

misty
  • Elite
  • 801 posts
  • 73 thanks
  • 25 topics
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:21 PM

Where we live is inaccessible to city water, so we had a well dug. The charging for the labor is based on the price of the cylindrical tile they put in, example the tile cost 350, labor would also be 350. So if you have 15 tiles deep, the total would come up to 10,500pesos. We have 3 wells in our property. Before we only use it for washing, laundry and gardening. Now, we are also using it as our drinking water. We filter the water using a table top water purifier. We have a steady supply of water which is supplied throughout the house with our 1/2 HP pressure pump.

Here's a blog from an expat building his house here in Iloilo. He explains how his well was dug.

http://goiloilo.com/...-house-project/

#6 Mik

Mik
  • Inactive Member
  • 1,883 posts
  • 199 thanks
  • 135 topics
  • My Blood Type:I will not donate
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 08 April 2009 - 8:34 AM

Our well is 56 feet. The water table here starts at 19 feet. It's common here for the well drillers to set up a large tripod with a pulley at the top. About three guys will pull the rope and drop a pipe with a pointed bit on the end. Another guy will guide the bit to hit the same place each time. It took about a week for them to hand drill my well. I have a 1 hp pump and pressure tank (80 gal.?) to supply three houses in the compound. I set the pressure switch to 30 to 50 psi so we have good strong pressure. We also just put in a MCWD connection as a backup. The water tastes clean but I won't drink it as we never had it tested. We used bottled water for drinking. I spent P10,000 for labor and P30,000 for materials. This was November 2005. I never asked about a permit and no one ever mentioned to me it was required.

Edited by M.Morey, 08 April 2009 - 8:42 AM .

#7 michael52

michael52
  • Inactive Member
  • 145 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 8 topics

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:11 AM

Our well is 56 feet. The water table here starts at 19 feet. It's common here for the well drillers to set up a large tripod with a pulley at the top. About three guys will pull the rope and drop a pipe with a pointed bit on the end. Another guy will guide the bit to hit the same place each time. It took about a week for them to hand drill my well. I have a 1 hp pump and pressure tank (80 gal.?) to supply three houses in the compound. I set the pressure switch to 30 to 50 psi so we have good strong pressure. We also just put in a MCWD connection as a backup. The water tastes clean but I won't drink it as we never had it tested. We used bottled water for drinking. I spent P10,000 for labor and P30,000 for materials. This was November 2005. I never asked about a permit and no one ever mentioned to me it was required.

very impressive. thanks very much. michael

#8 Bukwali

Bukwali
  • Elite
  • 599 posts
  • 32 thanks
  • 61 topics

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

In the area of Canada that I come from, the well water is too Alkali for humans to drink (well you can drink it but it tastes terrible and it rusts your pipes so we generally give it to the cattle). We solve that problem in a few different ways but one popular way is to put a cistern in the ground, galvanized tin on your roof, and run rain water into the cistern. The cistern needs to be big enough so the dirt all settles to the bottom and you only actually use the top 2/3 then clean it out once in a while. If you are a sanitation freak you add a little bleach to the water to chlorinate it and some people use a filter on the tap they drink out of. I'm alive to tell you its good water.

So, with all the rain we get here, and all the tin roofs, why doesn't anyone use that system here?

Hi Dave, Yes water Harvesting is something that is underused, even if some have concerns as to the cleanliness it could still be used for flushing toilets or washing clothes etc [but i feel it's clean enough to Drink] my wife and I survived in Africa only from water catchment, we also had a successful garden made from soil dug from the road [red dust more than soil] plus cow manure, we watered the garden with used shower water and dish washing water,

my company also issued large canvass sheets to local villages each canvass had reinforced corners plus a steel reinforced 2" diameter hole in the centre, villages would then construct an underground tank, solid posts were then set equal distance around the tank, so when ever rain looked likely, the canvas sheet was suspended between the posts with the hole directly above the water tank, when it was dry the canvass was put away, we had a tin roof so water catchment was easy enough, not so easy in villages with traditional roofs, I have some figures some where for the amount of water that can be captured from a given m2 area of roof.

Pic one is where we collected our soil,
pic two some visitors came to see what we were doing with all that cow #*&#
pic three the established garden.
pic four My wife Jenny helping to cook in a mud hut in a local village, A nice bowl of African Ugali, as stable to Africa as Rice is to the Philippines

Posted Image[/img]

Posted Image[/img]

Posted Image[/img]

Posted Image[/img]

#9 Bukwali

Bukwali
  • Elite
  • 599 posts
  • 32 thanks
  • 61 topics

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

Water drilling permit from the DENR.

Requires a geological survey to estimate the impact on the size of the aquifer.

Then planing permission from the municipality.

Permit to operate.

Then monthly analysis for the first 6 months. Yearly after that.

And it must be reported to BIR. because it increases taxable value.

And it should be annotated on your title.

Lots of hassle just for a hole on your property.

Hi Bob as I understand the requirements you need only declare your well if its for human consumption, in my case it will be more like a pipe in the ground than a fullblown well, If I do it I'll keep it under the radar and if asked tell them its for the garden.

#10 Bukwali

Bukwali
  • Elite
  • 599 posts
  • 32 thanks
  • 61 topics

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:06 AM

Where we live is inaccessible to city water, so we had a well dug. The charging for the labor is based on the price of the cylindrical tile they put in, example the tile cost 350, labor would also be 350. So if you have 15 tiles deep, the total would come up to 10,500pesos. We have 3 wells in our property. Before we only use it for washing, laundry and gardening. Now, we are also using it as our drinking water. We filter the water using a table top water purifier. We have a steady supply of water which is supplied throughout the house with our 1/2 HP pressure pump.

Here's a blog from an expat building his house here in Iloilo. He explains how his well was dug.

http://goiloilo.com/...-house-project/

Thanks misty, If I do go ahead, in my case it will be a pipe driven into the ground so tile casings wont be necessary, although I can see that tile would provide a better job than metal pipe, I read that galvanized pipe buried in soil has an average life of five years, I guess it depends on the standard of the pipe. perhaps Icould use a larger Diameter pipe and use that as a sleeve for some plastic pipes.

John

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea