I bought some bitcoin and Ether a few months ago and have been enjoying the ride up in price. Anyone else here that is in the cryptocurrency market? It just went over $6,200 per Bitcoin.

Edited by Paul
added tags.
  • Like 1

I bought a little to use for some purchases and as a research project, nothing serious. Hilariously enough the stuff I buy w/ BC are small, and my $ balance is actually larger than what I exchanged initially, even after buying my goods and services with the BC. 

I have a very tiny amount. It’s fun to learn about it and a big learning curve. Gets less intimidating over time.

Bitcoin beng the key and others complimentary to it and protectng decentralization and adding enhancements. 

edit: sp

Edited by delancey

If I had bought that pizzy 4 years ago ...

I had Bitcoin 3 years ago but I had to sell - sadly ...
Now I do Forex Trading and luckily I can speculate on BTC there too - so I can earn money wthout needing to buy BTC - and I earn even when the price goes down !

The pizza was $47M Sept 1, 2017,  $57M Oct 20, 2017.  $60,500,000 yesterday.

Afraid to look again.

.https://mobile.twitter.com/bitcoin_pizza?lang=en

Two pieces of trivia floating around (fwiw):

The person that helped get Bitcoin off the ground with the idea of an actual real world purchase with bitcoin (pizza) created another crypto currency. It valued at $3B USD and gets little attention.

The creator of bitcoin , who is currently anonymous, is said to be personally holding 1 million bitcoin.

18 hours ago, Daddy said:

I bought some bitcoin and Ether a few months ago and have been enjoying the ride up in price. Anyone else here that is in the cryptocurrency market? It just went over $6,200 per Bitcoin.

I bought ETH when it was like $10. BTC too when it was up and down regularly (due to automatic bots I heard). Now everything are just going up and up, totally unpredictable.

only regret is to pull some of them out - bought new pc components, a month later ETH went double!

It is like any other market it goes and down. But it almost never goes in a straight line.

Bitcoin has more acceptance now and I think will continue to grow as the young people that have never known a world without internet grow older. I think it is more secure than the fiat currencies printed by the various governements. The biggest threat is governments wanting to eliminate the competition. I recall back in the early 80's the Hunt brothers along with some of the Middle east cohorts were buying silver by the ton and taking delivery, storing it in underground bunkers. Supposedly they were going to create a new currency redeemable in silver. However the feds charged then with manipulating the markets and took everything they owner, which was a lot. I think silver went to almost $50 and ounce. The feds and banks don't like the competition.

https://priceonomics.com/how-the-hunt-brothers-cornered-the-silver-market/

Nevertheless, I think cryptocurrency is here to stay and will continue to grow in popularilty and eventually be a disruptor and put the banksters out of business.

Edited by Daddy
link added
  • Thanks 1

Botcoin, Litecoin etc., are a disruptive technology that only a small percent of the population understands. 

People tend to be critical of technology they are ignorant of. The top 1 thru 3 or 5 cryptos are stable.

They are at least as legitimate a store of value as fiat. 

I’d say even a 1 to 5% chance of success make it worth the risk in case it hits critical mass. 

High risk as currency yes, scam no.

https://hbr.org/2017/01/the-truth-about-blockchain

6 hours ago, delancey said:

Botcoin, Litecoin etc., are a disruptive technology that only a small percent of the population understands. 

The actual 'coins' are what people fixate on, but the value is, as you noted, in the blockchain. 

"With blockchain, we can imagine a world in which contracts are embedded in digital code and stored in transparent, shared databases, where they are protected from deletion, tampering, and revision. In this world every agreement, every process, every task, and every payment would have a digital record and signature that could be identified, validated, stored, and shared. Intermediaries like lawyers, brokers, and bankers might no longer be necessary. Individuals, organizations, machines, and algorithms would freely transact and interact with one another with little friction. This is the immense potential of blockchain."

Edited by DeedleNuts