Dafey

Solar Trolling motor

Dafey, a deep cycle marine battery will power a small electric trolling motor for many hours. Unless you are planning multi-day excursions in your kayak, you might be better off just setting up a solar charging station at your home, and just taking the trolling motor and battery out with you. I used to have the same set-up for a square-back canoe I used to own. I would take it for several days up to high altitude lakes in the Uinta Mountains in Utah, and I never ran out of charge. Granted, I wasn't trolling all the time, but I wasn't always just sitting around either.

• Like 4

Solarpower is around 1kW/m2. The efficiency of panels is around 15%-20%. So you get around 150-200W for a 1m2 panel. I agree with Headshot, a battery will be a better option, at least for a kayak. I've been on a 23' solar powered catamaran that had two 1,5kW engines. On a full direct sunlight we could use almost the engines on full throttle only by using solar power.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Headshot said:

a deep cycle marine battery will power a small electric trolling motor for many hours. Unless you are planning multi-day excursions in your kayak

On full throttle which is trolling speed for the type fishing I'm doing most motors will only last 2-4 hours. I'd like to be out all day so would like to utilize the solar to stretch my time on the water.

6 hours ago, richard_ost said:

So you get around 150-200W for a 1m2 panel.

Good info Richard. The panel I would like to construct will be about 1 meter wide and 2 meter long. Will also act as shade for my fishing buddy, (lab). Boat is 17 feet so it won't interfere with my ability to operate the boat and fish.

My biggest concern is how much will a panel that size weigh? The battery, motor, 60 pound lab and fishing gear is already a lot so weight may be the deciding factor.

1 hour ago, Dafey said:

On full throttle which is trolling speed for the type fishing I'm doing most motors will only last 2-4 hours. I'd like to be out all day so would like to utilize the solar to stretch my time on the water.

Good info Richard. The panel I would like to construct will be about 1 meter wide and 2 meter long. Will also act as shade for my fishing buddy, (lab). Boat is 17 feet so it won't interfere with my ability to operate the boat and fish.

My biggest concern is how much will a panel that size weigh? The battery, motor, 60 pound lab and fishing gear is already a lot so weight may be the deciding factor.

Not only weight but that canopy / solar panel would be a top heavy sail that could capsize you in a strong or maybe even mild wind?

First build cheap support structure - add weight - test for stability before buying anything expensive.

Just an example - for a 1 M x 2 M  looking at 50 Lbs?

ALTS100-24P ALTS200-24P
Peak Power 100 Watts 200 Watts
Nominal Voltage 24 V 24 V
Voltage at Max Power (Vmp) 36.23 V 36.7 V
Current at Max Power (Imp) 2.76 A 5.45 A
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) 44.8 V 44.56 V
Short Circuit Current (Isc) 3.04 A 5.99 A
Max System Voltage 600 Vdc 1000 Vdc
Module Efficiency 14.63% 15.72%
Dimensions 40.2" x 26.4" x 1.4"
(1020 x 670x 35mm)
52" x 39" x 1.6"
(1320 x 990 x 40 mm)
Weight 16.5 lbs (7.5kg) 34.1 lbs (15.5kg)
Connectors/Cables MC4 Compatible Connector Cables
Number of Cells 72 Polycrystalline cells
Operating Temperature Range -40°C to + 85°C

I forgot to tell that the catamaran I was on was completely covered with panels (roof). 2,5m x6m = ~15m2. And the panels and framing structure was heavy as hell. The boat was overall pretty light and that's why it reached around 7 knots for just 3kW of power.

"Normal" panels are pretty heavy and wouldn't suit you I'd think, but there are very light ones (more expensive) around there. I've seen solar boats with custom panels laminated on carbon fiber panel weight around 400 grams per square meter.

Like lamoe, I also thought that it would be very risky on a kayak to put it on top because of wind. If you could put it on the deck without it creating wind surface might be better? And if you or anybody you know can make the pod drive for yourself, you can make a very light weight propulsion with an electric motor they use on RC planes and such. The whole system for a 1kW engine shouldn't be more than few kilograms.

Edited by richard_ost

Im not an engineer, but I am guessing that is to much for a small banka boat.  Pack an extra 12v battery :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soupeod said:

Im not an engineer, but I am guessing that is to much for a small banka boat.  Pack an extra 12v battery :)

Even paralleling three 12v batteries in the bottom of your rig would be preferable to setting up a top-heavy solar panel on an unstable platform (a kayak). If you capsize out on the water, it is game over. If you are set on putting together a solar set-up, then buy a second kayak, and build a catamaran out of the two kayaks before you try to put anything on top of them.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2017 at 7:11 PM, Dafey said:

I have no problem finding a trolling motor. Interested in installing a solar panel to power the unit and charge the battery.

OceanJet isn't that expensive mate. :lol:

• Like 1

• Commercial Banner Advertisers

• Adsbygoogle

Advert