Yikes! the universe

How often do you tip taxi drivers?

I will NEVER drive in the Philippines (seen too many scars and burn marks on legs) so the idea of buying or renting a car or bike is useless to me. I'm destined to take taxis every day but it's only for short trips to the gym or SM mall. I found myself just rounding up when it comes to tipping taxi drivers. I know that in the 8 months I have left it's going to add up and I'm kind of worried about that. Anyone here never tip, and if you don't do they give you dirty looks? Also there are no trikes in Baguio and I cringe at the idea of being packed in the Jeepenys so those are out of the question to.

24 minutes ago, Yikes! the universe said:

I will NEVER drive in the Philippines (seen too many scars and burn marks on legs) so the idea of buying or renting a car or bike is useless to me. I'm destined to take taxis every day but it's only for short trips to the gym or SM mall. I found myself just rounding up when it comes to tipping taxi drivers. I know that in the 8 months I have left it's going to add up and I'm kind of worried about that. Anyone here never tip, and if you don't do they give you dirty looks? Also there are no trikes in Baguio and I cringe at the idea of being packed in the Jeepenys so those are out of the question to.

YIKES!   How small my universe would be if I had no personal transportation. Just as well be in prison.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, shadow said:

Just as well be in prison.

You're married aren't you? 

8 minutes ago, angbumabasa said:

You're married aren't you? 

Yes, she gas her own wheels as well. Always going somewhere.

• Like 1

i can drive and have a car but often I take the free shuttle ... sure people look at me and say ... poor broke foreigner but its ok I park at south park Robinsons and take the free shuttle to the big Robinsons galleria 45 min of me sitting playing with my phone and enjoying some of the best eye candy in town got to love who ever started the mall uniform ... leaves every 2 hours and there is one from the other Robinsons Fuente 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Yikes! the universe said:

I found myself just rounding up when it comes to tipping taxi drivers.

The secret is to carry lots of small bills.  If you have a wallet full of 100s or larger the driver will guilt trip you into leaving the change for a tip but if the ride is 70 and you have 4 x 20s then you just give 80 and its a good enough tip.  Everyone is happy and in the long term it will add up.

How much to tip will depend on your personality and how much the driver actually has to do to earn it.  I a normal trip around Cebu I will add 10 pesos tip for a trip up to 100 pesos or 20 pesos tip if the trip costs between 100 and 200.  That's just me.  Everyone will do it different so do whatever works for you.

PS, if I go the same place frequently and one driver charges me quite a bit more than the other drivers then he gets no tip from me.  That happens if they take a longer route or if their meter is "running fast".

• Like 3

Unless a taxi driver does something to really piss me off I always tip them. 20 pesos or about 40 cents is an insignificant amount to me but a lot to a taxi driver .  I think of it as my small contribution to the local economy ! :P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yikes! the universe said:

I ALWAYS  drive in the Philippines. I have driven from Manila to Davao twice, from Iloilo to Davao , from Davao to Cebu several times, from Cebu to Davao several times.  I love driving here .  I got so tired of being constantly pulled over in Canada for speeding, as well as other minor offences . The Wild West style here suits me just fine !! [ and i do drive a full size SUV and take  full advantage of its size !! :P]

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, A_Simple_Man said:

The secret is to carry lots of small bills.

That's what I'm thinking, and now my question is if I could go to BDO or another major bank and ask them to break Php500 into 20's.....unfortunately I think that if I don't bank there they will give me the deer in the headlights look, and I don''t plan on banking in the Philippines. 

16 minutes ago, Yikes! the universe said:

if I could go to BDO or another major bank and ask them to break Php500 into 20's.

I've never had to do that.  I just developed the habit of always using large bills and getting back lots of change, which I keep for taxis and other tips.

• Like 4