soupeod

Are Cebu Condos Quake Proof

3 hours ago, fred42 said:

No significant damage in any tallish building here in Tagbilaran or anywhere in Bohol...I was quite surprised.
A few Churches made of anapog shook to the ground.
Some houses on the fault line in Loon just sunk!

There are no tall buildings in Tagbilaran or anywhere on Bohol. The old churches that collapsed were made of stone and held together by gravity. Lateral movement overcomes gravity. Most tall buildings in the US are built using steel I-beams and lightweight wall construction. That is what makes them so flexible. Tall building in Cebu are built using a concrete framework, and the walls are often made from plastered CHB. Concrete does not flex the same way steel does, and most of the walls that fail (regardless of the building height) during earthquakes here are made of CHB. Anybody who thinks there won't be any failures, if a really strong earthquake (7.5+) strikes directly under the Cebu City metro area, is fooling themselves. I have watched several of these buildings being built, and I wouldn't even want to be within several blocks of them in a strong quake. If you want to know how building here will perform during a really strong quake, look at the pictures after the earthquakes in Haiti. The construction there is almost identical to here.

Lee's pictures were nice, but most of them focused on the damage at the Santa Nino Basilica or to homes close to the fault on Bohol. They don't really show the damage caused elsewhere. The reason why we pulled my daughter out of the Dominican School in Consolacion was that they treated major cracks in structural members as if they were merely superficial damage, and they just patched over them. That school is just four floors, but there was significant cracking. What will happen when the next earthquake hits? Heaven only knows, but I know that they are betting that the next quake won't hit during the next hundred years. My daughter is now at SHS Ateneo de Cebu, which basically suffered no damage from the quake.

Buildings (and single-unit homes) can be built to be very earthquake resistant. If you think that most here in the Philippines have been built that way, then you weren't watching them being built. Developers, like just about everybody else here, are hoping that there won't be a strong quake in their lifetimes. That is a bet that is based on the few fault lines that have been properly mapped in the Philippines. In almost every thread about quakes, the same inadequate fault maps are dragged out. Bohol and Cebu were created by block-faulting (blocks of earth being turned up on edge with vertical slippage), and there are dozens of significant faults running through and between them (and yet most maps show nothing).

There is a false sense of security here because earthquakes are infrequent (relatively speaking) and unpredictable. There may be hundreds of years between earthquakes, or there may be a cluster of related quakes. One thing you can be sure of, though, is that there is a lot of stress built up in the ground due to the long period since the last major movement on some fault lines.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Headshot said:

Lee's pictures were nice, but most of them focused on the damage at the Santa Nino Basilica or to homes close to the fault on Bohol.

I am quite sure that most, if not many of you have been around Cebu and other areas after the last quake, to look around at the damage, I know we had been and there was no serious damage to any condo buildings that we saw and that was a pretty decent quake which caused the building we live in and many tall buildings to sway.

None of us really know what will happen should a powerful earthquake hit directly under Cebu but one thing I can say for sure, there are way too many worrywarts on forums who always post about what they worry about the worst that will happen in their minds instead of just enjoying life, heck, instead of an earthquake, one or many of us could get shot with the many illegal guns all around us just about everywhere we are in the Philippines, or get hit by a vehicle, or killed by vehicles in the Philippines that for the most part do not obey the traffic laws and then there are the many drunk expats and locals who drive around daily and many who even brag about that is why they like living in the Philippines so they can drive drunk without being arrested and also the many taxi drivers who use drugs to stay awake during their 24 hour rentals, so worry if you wish, I prefer to live my life knowing that when my time comes it will come wherever I happen to be, rather than always worry the sky is falling. 

IMHO there are many times during a persons life that they are a lot safer living in a condo building verses the possibility of an earthquake doing major damage to one, we sleep great at night in our condo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Lee said:

I am quite sure that most, if not many of you have been around Cebu and other areas after the last quake, to look around at the damage, I know we had been and there was no serious damage to any condo buildings that we saw and that was a pretty decent quake which caused the building we live in and many tall buildings to sway.

None of us really know what will happen should a powerful earthquake hit directly under Cebu but one thing I can say for sure, there are way too many worrywarts on forums who always post about what they worry about the worst that will happen in their minds instead of just enjoying life, heck, instead of an earthquake, one or many of us could get shot with the many illegal guns all around us just about everywhere we are in the Philippines, or get hit by a vehicle, or killed by vehicles in the Philippines that for the most part do not obey the traffic laws and then there are the many drunk expats and locals who drive around daily and many who even brag about that is why they like living in the Philippines so they can drive drunk without being arrested and also the many taxi drivers who use drugs to stay awake during their 24 hour rentals, so worry if you wish, I prefer to live my life knowing that when my time comes it will come wherever I happen to be, rather than always worry the sky is falling. 

IMHO there are many times during a persons life that they are a lot safer living in a condo building verses the possibility of an earthquake doing major damage to one, we sleep great at night in our condo. 

Agreed.

I believe the 2013 Bohol quake registered right at about 6.7 in Cebu City, definitely a pretty strong quake - yet none of the many high-rise condo buildings sustained any significant structural damage - including the older ones built prior to the 21st century.

Even my asawa, who's somewhat of a worrywart about a number of things, isn't the least bit worried about our condo building being "brought down" by a quake.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2017 at 10:27 AM, Headshot said:

There are no tall buildings in Tagbilaran or anywhere on Bohol. The old churches that collapsed were made of stone and held together by gravity. Lateral movement overcomes gravity. Most tall buildings in the US are built using steel I-beams and lightweight wall construction. That is what makes them so flexible. Tall building in Cebu are built using a concrete framework, and the walls are often made from plastered CHB. Concrete does not flex the same way steel does, and most of the walls that fail (regardless of the building height) during earthquakes here are made of CHB. Anybody who thinks there won't be any failures, if a really strong earthquake (7.5+) strikes directly under the Cebu City metro area, is fooling themselves. I have watched several of these buildings being built, and I wouldn't even want to be within several blocks of them in a strong quake. If you want to know how building here will perform during a really strong quake, look at the pictures after the earthquakes in Haiti. The construction there is almost identical to here.

Lee's pictures were nice, but most of them focused on the damage at the Santa Nino Basilica or to homes close to the fault on Bohol. They don't really show the damage caused elsewhere. The reason why we pulled my daughter out of the Dominican School in Consolacion was that they treated major cracks in structural members as if they were merely superficial damage, and they just patched over them. That school is just four floors, but there was significant cracking. What will happen when the next earthquake hits? Heaven only knows, but I know that they are betting that the next quake won't hit during the next hundred years. My daughter is now at SHS Ateneo de Cebu, which basically suffered no damage from the quake.

Buildings (and single-unit homes) can be built to be very earthquake resistant. If you think that most here in the Philippines have been built that way, then you weren't watching them being built. Developers, like just about everybody else here, are hoping that there won't be a strong quake in their lifetimes. That is a bet that is based on the few fault lines that have been properly mapped in the Philippines. In almost every thread about quakes, the same inadequate fault maps are dragged out. Bohol and Cebu were created by block-faulting (blocks of earth being turned up on edge with vertical slippage), and there are dozens of significant faults running through and between them (and yet most maps show nothing).

There is a false sense of security here because earthquakes are infrequent (relatively speaking) and unpredictable. There may be hundreds of years between earthquakes, or there may be a cluster of related quakes. One thing you can be sure of, though, is that there is a lot of stress built up in the ground due to the long period since the last major movement on some fault lines.

If a couple of planes could bring down the twin towers in the U.S,imagine the devastation a 7.4 earthquake would bring!
I am very aware of how much rebar the local engineers put into a development here..Our building was up to the third floor when the quake hit here in Bohol.. As we watched from the outside the 25 meter long building was doing a Mexican wave.. After, I was astounded to see not even a single crack in the render.

• Like 1

Does anyone here really think if a building was weak from an earthquake they would see the developer announce that news ...if you said yes i have a really big statue in NEW YORK for sale 

19 hours ago, Lee said:

there are way too many worrywarts on forums who always post about what they worry about the worst that will happen in their minds instead of just enjoying life

Certainly, nobody who knows me would say that I am a worrywart (and I'm sure that you aren't saying that either). I seldom take the time needed to worry. However, after a youth when I participated in many high-risk activities (and somehow survived them), I tend to avoid unnecessary risk in my older, and hopefully wiser, age. Nobody can avoid all risk, and there are many risks where simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time is enough to get you killed or injured. Serendipity certainly plays a part in our fates.

Other risks, however, can be avoided. I can avoid being run over by a jeepney by not walking on the street in Cebu. I can protect my family from earthquakes (at least part of the time) by educating myself about various types of structural construction methods and materials and their susceptibility to failure during lateral movement, and then avoiding structures where susceptibility to failure is high. I am NOT talking just about high-rise condos here. ANY structure that is built using methods and materials with a high risk of failure due to lateral movement will kill you just as dead as a high-rise built using those same methods and materials.

Everybody has to determine their own level of risk acceptance (and then accept the results if things go wrong). I go into high-rise masonry structures here in Cebu all the time. Cebu Expat Dinner Club holds most of their dinners at buffets in high-rise hotels and resorts around the Cebu metro area. I also go into the malls here, which for the most part, are built using the same construction methods and materials commonly used in most other construction here. You can't avoid risk altogether, and there is no sense worrying about unavoidable risks. Life happens, and you calculate your risks as you go along. Hopefully, you guess right most of the time.

• Like 3

Excellent post Bill , I wont give you a like because you dont grace that appreciation on others , but good post...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Headshot said:

Certainly, nobody who knows me would say that I am a worrywart (and I'm sure that you aren't saying that either). I seldom take the time needed to worry. However, after a youth when I participated in many high-risk activities (and somehow survived them), I tend to avoid unnecessary risk in my older, and hopefully wiser, age. Nobody can avoid all risk, and there are many risks where simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time is enough to get you killed or injured. Serendipity certainly plays a part in our fates.

Other risks, however, can be avoided. I can avoid being run over by a jeepney by not walking on the street in Cebu. I can protect my family from earthquakes (at least part of the time) by educating myself about various types of structural construction methods and materials and their susceptibility to failure during lateral movement, and then avoiding structures where susceptibility to failure is high. I am NOT talking just about high-rise condos here. ANY structure that is built using methods and materials with a high risk of failure due to lateral movement will kill you just as dead as a high-rise built using those same methods and materials.

Everybody has to determine their own level of risk acceptance (and then accept the results if things go wrong). I go into high-rise masonry structures here in Cebu all the time. Cebu Expat Dinner Club holds most of their dinners at buffets in high-rise hotels and resorts around the Cebu metro area. I also go into the malls here, which for the most part, are built using the same construction methods and materials commonly used in most other construction here. You can't avoid risk altogether, and there is no sense worrying about unavoidable risks. Life happens, and you calculate your risks as you go along. Hopefully, you guess right most of the time.

Exactly Bill, I know those who worry their lives away and pretty much hide in their homes and then there are those of us like you and I who just enjoy our lives the way WE want to enjoy it.

Everything in life has possible dangers, an earthquake can kill one of us in a home or a condo, for those who continually worry about it happening in a condo, wouldn't it be a strange but quite possible twist of fate if they got squashed like a bug while in a home instead. We all need to live our own lives and IMO some need to stop telling others how they should live their lives because they just might get Godsmacked themselves. 

i think just to be safe we should all take para gliding lessons then if we are high up in say a condo and its tipping we can jump off the balcony and hang glide to safety just don't land in any pools of water or you can drown and try to remember that when buying a condo you know the part about the balcony .. 

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, oztony said:

Excellent post Bill , I wont give you a like because you dont grace that appreciation on others , but good post...

You're funny. Of course I give likes. Do you need a few more in your vast collection?