MartyC

Missing C & P exams scheduled in the US

A couple of days ago I received notice through email of a C & P examination scheduled in my home town back in the US. I should have notified them of my move but my 100% rating was written as TOTALLY and PERMANENTLY disabled so I am quite shocked to hear this . The exam is for only one of my 30% ratings for heart disease. I called the VA to tell them I have moved to the Philippines and can not make my appointments next week but could get to the Manila VA for the exams , if they could reschedule my appointments there. This is devastating to us as a reduction in VA pay could force us to move back to the US and back to work, (or lower our standards here substantially ,God forbid! )  Has anyone experienced a similar situation ?  I am praying they will cancel the re exam altogether, and the VA rep did say it was to see if the conditioned has gotten worse but did not know what they will do yet. It took 3 years on Army MED hold to get my rating and discharge why cant they leave it alone? So frustrating.

I would guess it is a mix up.   I would contact my representative DAV or whoever you have as I would not trust a phone call to the VA.   The rep will know how you should proceed.  Not sure if there is a rep in Cebu, there used to be a good one in Angeles.  Hopefully some one in Cebu will help with this.

• Thanks 1

https://www.hillandponton.com/c-and-p-reexamination/

Compensation and Pension Examinations: Reexamination

August 31, 2016/in Veterans /by Heather Staskiel, Attorney

Almost every veteran who is eventually awarded service connection from the VA undergoes at least one Compensation and Pension (C&P) examination. Even after being awarded service connection, many veterans will participate in additional C&P examinations if they file a claim for an increased rating or when the VA requests a reexamination of a service connected condition.

Even if a veteran has not filed a claim for an increased rating, sometimes a veteran will have to undergo an additional C&P examination at the VA’s request in order for the VA to evaluate the veteran’s current level of disability. Typically, the VA will order a reexamination if evidence indicates that there has been a material change in the disability since the last examination or if the veteran’s disability is likely to improve. For example, if a veteran is service-connected for depression and his VA medical records show that his condition is improving, the VA may order a reexamination. Or, if the veteran is service-connected for a back condition, the VA may order a reexamination every few years because such a disability is likely to improve over time.

When you receive a rating decision from the VA, it might indicate that the VA will schedule an examination at a future date. Generally, routine future examinations are scheduled every 5 years if the disability in question is not static (meaning the condition has the tendency to get better and worse over time). There are certain circumstances in which no future examinations will be scheduled. If a disability is static, symptoms have persisted without material improvement for 5 or more years, a disability from a disease is permanent and not likely to improve, a veteran is over 55 years old, the disability is rated at the minimal rating level, or a combined disability evaluation would not be affected even if a future examination resulted in the reduced evaluation of one or more conditions, a future examination will generally not be ordered.

Many veterans who file a claim for an increased rating assume that the VA will automatically schedule them for a C&P examination. This is not the case. In order for the VA to have a duty to schedule a C&P examination, there must be some evidence that there has been a material change in the veteran’s disability. For instance, if a veteran files a claim for an increased rating for his right knee condition, but there is no evidence in the veteran’s file, including VA medical records and private medical records, that the condition has worsened outside of the veteran’s own statement, the VA is not required to order a reexamination.

A C&P examination that is conducted for the purpose of reexamination of a condition that is already service connected will be conducted in the same manner as an initial C&P examination. It is important to remember that there is no “doctor/patient” relationship with the C&P examiner. The examiner is there only to detail your symptoms, not to provide treatment. It is important to be upfront and honest with the C&P examiner and describe all the symptoms you are experiencing. The goal of the C&P examination is to detail your current level of functioning, so it is important that you make sure the examiner has all the information necessary to accurately reflect your disability.

PLEASE READ THIS!

The most important thing to remember in regards to reexaminations is that if you get notice that you have been scheduled for a C&P examination, you must attend the examination. A veteran who fails to report for a reexamination without good cause or without attempting to reschedule the examination may have his or her disability payments reduced or discontinued.

Tags: C&P exam, compensation and pension examination, va reexamination

• Thanks 1

VA Manila no longer does C&P Exams, instead the VA have contracted out that process to a Company called VES.  Also, no more VA Travel pay, so if you do have to go to a C&P exam, prepare for that expense.

• Thanks 1

No travel pay in Philippines / outside US I Think.