JohnSurrey

BPI Prepaid Master Card

I have a BPI prepaid master card (like a credit card but is limited to the balance on the card)...

In the UK I have additional rights when I pay for something by credit card 

Credit card payment protection

If you use your credit card to buy something, such as goods or a holiday, costing over £100 and up to £30,000, you’re covered by ‘section 75’ of the Consumer Credit Act.

This means the credit card company has equal responsibility (or ‘liability’) with the seller if there’s a problem with the things you’ve bought or the company you’ve bought them from fails.

Problems that are covered

The company has failed to supply the goods or services, or has supplied goods not up to standard, or
The company has misrepresented what it is supplying - for example, a software supplier says a software package you’re buying will work with a particular computer when it doesn’t.

I'm just wondering do I have additional rights against a seller when I use my BPI master card here?

Thanks

The rights you have in the UK are because of UK legislation- not because of BPI. I'm going to go way out on a limb here and tell you the answer to your question is NFW !!  Hahaha

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I read there is very little if no protection at all, and Citibank even offers insurance for card loss (only 24 or 48 hours).

What if you take any dispute to Master instead of BPI? Would BPI block it?

• Thanks 1

I have Pockit MasterCard issued in the UK, same as your card the limit is whatever I've loaded onto it.  I use it here frequently and get a very fair exchange rate with no other fees or charges, whether I'd be covered by UK legislation here I don't know.

• Thanks 1

The credit cards you obtain here are required to meet the rules established here.  Meaning, you have whatever protections the card issuer provides.  These don’t compare well to cards issued by banks in countries with good consumer protection laws.  If you read the details of the agreement you signed to get the card, you’d quickly realize the issuer is the one protected more than the consumer.

For example, if you notice, the responsibility is YOURS to detect any errors in billing.  Fair enough.  However, if the billing arrives on day 15 and you were supposed to notify the issuer of an error by day 10,,,,,,,guess who has the problem?

Some issuers seem to offer improved services for additional fees.  Or at least it requires the consumer to make the effort to have the issuer provide the extra service.  For example, I think a card I have offers a service where there is a notification any time the card is used as a sort of double check that I have authorized the use.  

• Thanks 2