• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_billygoat_*

Guest_billygoat_*
  • Guests
  • thanks
  • 8 topics

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:41 PM

How much does it cost to send a Filipina to college in Cebu?
I fully supported a Filipina last semester, paying 100% of her expenses, and I kept track of everything. Here are the actual numbers (as opposed to “it oughta cost about…”) for one semester.

Tuition
She attended UCLM: University of Cebu, Lapu-Mandaue campus, taking a business program, which is less expensive tuition than nursing, and comparable to tuition at most other colleges in Cebu (University of Visayas is less expensive, University of San Carlos is more expensive.)
Enrollment: P500 to register for school.
Tuition: P12,450 per semester if paid in installments, but discounted to P11,475 because I paid it in a lump sum at the start of the semester.
Subtotal: P11,975

Additional direct school costs
Uniform, new shoes, books, notebooks, school ID, mandatory insurance, miscellaneous mandatory “contributions” for various bulls*** events, etc.
Subtotal: P4136

Daily Budget
I figured out a daily budget based on costs: P164 / day; …but of course she didn’t stay within that very well.
Boarding house: P1100 / month
Food: P75 / day
Jeep fare (2 rides) P12 / day
Cellphone load: P10 / day
Computer time & printing: P30 / day
Subtotal: P20,561

Extra Expenses
There are always extra expenses. I counted the essentials
ATM account setup, shoe repairs, doctor visit, medicine, study lamp, boardinghouse transfer cost, etc. etc.
Subtotal: P5518

Total: P42,190 ($840 US)

Thanked by 1 Member:
Geronimo

#2 mlampkin

mlampkin
  • Inactive Member
  • 147 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • 3,874 topics
  • Local time: 01:28 AM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:21 PM

Yeah...

That sounds about right... only diff between your numbers and the ones I have... is I make the kids get a job while at school... and the match what they bring in for 'additional / daily / extras / ( family )'...

That last bit seems to bring the 'extras' down... since they know there is a minimum amount they need to make and its not all a free ride... but then again, they also know I add whats saved back in for XMas etc. stuff for them and their family... ;-)

Still really cheap compared to e.g. trying to help someone in the US or Europe...

Michael

#3 Hell Boy

Hell Boy

To Hell And Back

• +Founder
  • 31,260 posts
  • 6903 thanks
  • 28 topics
  • Local time: 11:28 PM
  • My Blood Type:AB+
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:53 PM

I paid $40 USD per each semester, for a weekend class and $50 per semester for expenses, for a friend in Cebu. This is for a saturday-only class.

Now, which one of you is gonna to pay for my schoolin' ? Coz I'z ben told I needs edumicatin'. :)

#4 stennis1

stennis1

Stennis1

• Inactive Member
  • 206 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 133 topics
  • Local time: 11:28 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:00 PM

This is nice to know :)
But for us...that will take a while, our guy is not getting further then the playroom in Ayala.
But I have now a line what we will have to pay in the future ( + 40%) or something like that.

thanx

#5 freeheeler

freeheeler
  • Inactive Member
  • 548 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 17 topics
  • Local time: 05:28 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:21 AM

I just had my g/f check out the cost of courses in the different colleges in Cebu

an example of the differences

Hotel and Resturaunt management course at the San Carlos college PHP23,000

The same course at the University of Cebu PHP12,413..

Not sure why the difference, maybe one trains you for Mcdonalds

She also has to be of good moral character which I guess rules out a career in politics for her

Does anyone know if the colleges have dormitories on site or do you need to look elsewhere for accomadation?

I fully supported a Filipina last semester, paying 100% of her expenses, and I kept track of everything. Here are the actual numbers (as opposed to “it oughta cost about…”) for one semester.

Tuition
She attended UCLM: University of Cebu, Lapu-Mandaue campus, taking a business program, which is less expensive tuition than nursing, and comparable to tuition at most other colleges in Cebu (University of Visayas is less expensive, University of San Carlos is more expensive.)
Tuition: P12,450 per semester if paid in installments, but discounted to P11,475 because I paid it in a lump sum at the start of the semester.

Uniform, new shoes, books, notebooks, school ID, mandatory insurance, miscellaneous mandatory “contributions” for various bulls*** events, etc.

Daily Budget
I figured out a daily budget based on costs: P164 / day; …but of course she didn’t stay within that very well.

Extra Expenses
ATM account setup, shoe repairs, doctor visit, medicine, study lamp, boardinghouse transfer cost, etc. etc.

#6 Bet_Busta

Bet_Busta
  • Elite Member
  • 1,465 posts
  • 154 thanks
  • 876 topics
  • Local time: 12:28 AM
  • My Blood Type:No option.

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:53 AM

Does anyone know if the colleges have dormitories on site or do you need to look elsewhere for accomadation?

There is none but there are a lot of boarding houses within walking distance surrounding most
universities/colleges.

#7 smokey

smokey
  • Elite Member
  • 23,071 posts
  • 3876 thanks
  • 2 topics
  • Local time: 10:28 AM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:39 AM

Tuition

Daily Budget

Extra Expenses

You got a good deal your correct nursing is more money and foreigner students even more.. i have one in nursing , one civil eng. one studying for CPA and one computer science and one high school i figure with fare books etc, its costing me at least 45 to 50,000 a month when they all leave i should be rich

#8 vampy_lane

vampy_lane

Abnormally Beautiful

• Inactive Member
  • 198 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • 501 topics
  • Local time: 12:28 AM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:40 AM

Now, which one of you is gonna to pay for my schoolin' ? Coz I'z ben told I needs edumicatin'. :biggrin_01:

I was about to ask same question though! LOL Paul, if you need a suga momma to pay for your education, well don't look at me, I got the coupon here though for free meals! LOL :biggrin_01:

But then I rather study in Manila than here in Cebu.

Dunno about the quality of education here but I met some college students/graduates from here they don't have any idea on the new advanced tech and the tuition fee here is expensive compare if you will attend a state university in Manila.

Edited by vampy_lane, 29 November 2006 - 10:42 AM.

#9 Steve

Steve

Bana Of Donna

• +Code Admin
  • 2,501 posts
  • 618 thanks
  • 133 topics
  • Local time: 12:28 PM
  • My Blood Type:Don't know
  • Philippines:Visited 1 to 5 trips

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:01 AM

I Dunno about the quality of education here but I met some college students/graduates from here they don't have any idea on the new advanced tech

I know alot of people like that in the US :biggrin_01: . They have big degrees and they are the ones flipping burgers at McDonalds. And they don't even have a clue about stuff. It's a wonder they even graduated. I think some of it has to do with how much an individual applies themself during the education process. And some of it also does depend on the institution.

#10 freeheeler

freeheeler
  • Inactive Member
  • 548 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Local time: 05:28 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:53 AM

It's one of the problems in deciding where to send her. I don't want to pay the money and find out she is learning on windows 95. Nor do I want her to go to Manilla.

We shall see how the first semester goes

I know alot of people like that in the US :biggrin_01: . They have big degrees and they are the ones flipping burgers at McDonalds. And they don't even have a clue about stuff. It's a wonder they even graduated. I think some of it has to do with how much an individual applies themself during the education process. And some of it also does depend on the institution.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea