I have entered the PI with my wife 4 times and asked for BB,  most recently last May, and was asked for our marriage certificate each time.

Only for BB? If your wife's passport has the same last name, would they still ask for your marriage certificate? 

We have been there several times but never been asked for our marriage certificate, although we never asked for BB...

Only for BB? If your wife's passport has the same last name, would they still ask for your marriage certificate? 

We have been there several times but never been asked for our marriage certificate, although we never asked for BB...

For 3 of the arrivals she had a passport in her maiden name so it's understandable for them to ask for the marriage cert when requesting BB. Last arrival she had a passport in her married name and they still asked for marriage cert when I requested BB.

If you're not asking for BB I don't know why they would be concerned with marital status upon arrival. However we both got a hell of a grilling and had to show a marriage cert among other things the first time we left the PI together.

• Thanks 1

Must just be the luck of the draw, maybe how you or your wife look or look together, who the hell knows. My wife had a new passport with her married last name and they still didn't ask to see our marriage certificate. Granted it was her 3rd passport. I had pages of visitors stamps in my passport. The guy asked me if I planned to remain in the Philippines permanently. Told him we had already applied for her Visa.

I know older couples who have been married for years who never have to show their marriage certificate. I think when there is a large age difference or the filipina looks very young, that they seem to be more picky. My wife was in her 30s at the time and doesn't look like a wide eyed teenager on her 1st trip outside of the Philippines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For 3 of the arrivals she had a passport in her maiden name so it's understandable for them to ask for the marriage cert when requesting BB. Last arrival she had a passport in her married name and they still asked for marriage cert when I requested BB.

If you're not asking for BB I don't know why they would be concerned with marital status upon arrival. However we both got a hell of a grilling and had to show a marriage cert among other things the first time we left the PI together.

The wife and I have entered the Philippines just about every year for the last 21 or so years and sometimes twice in a year and ever since her passport has my last name in it, they never ask for anything but I think the problem is that according to you, you ask for the bb, in our case my wife walks up and asks for it and hands them both passports at the same time, they sometime ask if I am her husband in Bisaya and she replies yes in Bisaya, we enter in Cebu and usually late at night if that makes a difference, in Manila they might be more touch, try having your wife hand the passports to the BI officer and ask him Balikbayan please. Now with that said, my wife always carries our marriage license in case they ask for it, because I know that the one time we do not have it, they will surely ask for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did you have to show your marriage certificate, on arrival?

Yes I did. I actually had to show it going out also. 

Did you have a copy of the Memo Lee posted?

No I did not. I honestly do not think it would of helped in Malaysia. 

• Thanks 2

Yes I did. I actually had to show it going out also. 

Wow. I wouldn't have imagined that. That is, having to show it going out of the country. Does your wife look like she's 12 or something? The Philippines, man. There is nothing like it, in all of SEA

• Like 2

Wow. I wouldn't have imagined that. That is, having to show it going out of the country. Does your wife look like she's 12 or something? The Philippines, man. There is nothing like it, in all of SEA

She is 23 but looks younger I guess. He said it was because her passport still has her maiden name. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She is 23 but looks younger I guess. He said it was because her passport still has her maiden name. 

Ahhhh. I would definitely get that sorted, man. The sooner, the better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ahhhh. I would definitely get that sorted, man. The sooner, the better.

Just remember that getting an rp pp in the married name to a foreigner (who will take them to their country and enslave them) requires a visit (or 3) to the CFO nazis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1