softail

There’s Never Been a Better Time to Freeze Your Credit

4 hours ago, Aerosick said:

An initial alert lasts only 90 days. If you've been an actual victim of identity theft, you can request an extended alert, which lasts for seven years. During that period, a creditor must telephone you before it extends credit.

A plain old credit freeze is good until cancelled with the exception of a narrow group of states who are only seven years. (CRA's must have had better lobbyists in the seven year states.)

Quick Check: Kentucky, Nebraska, Pennsylvania Currently Seven then freeze lifts. Other permanent until opt out. 

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-freeze-laws-50-states.php

Edit to suggest freezing: Innovis and Chex Systems in addition to the big three.

A lot of other identity theft damage caused can not be controlled by a freeze (identity theft, false bills in your name,  false ID, etc.) but that is the best we have to work with:

Freeze the 4 Credit Agencies and 1 company  (Chex) used to verify new bank accounts openings off the information stolen.

Edited by delancey
  • Thanks 1

noddel, my ssn was on the list of affected accounts, and I have not lived there since 2004. When they hacked the IRS, my refund was stolen, and it took 3 years to get it back. When they hacked the VA, I did not have any problems.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RogerDat said:

noddel, my ssn was on the list of affected accounts, and I have not lived there since 2004. When they hacked the IRS, my refund was stolen, and it took 3 years to get it back. When they hacked the VA, I did not have any problems.

Sorry you miss understood me,  or I wasn't clear,     does this only affect American citizens ?

3 hours ago, noddle said:

Sorry you miss understood me,  or I wasn't clear,     does this only affect American citizens ?

If you do not have a U.S. social security number and never had a U.S. credit card or other loan account, then you have nothing to worry about. 

• Thanks 2

Thought I'd share this little tidbit as    I    found out today these credit freezes seem to be effective as far as a new account.. After reading posts about NFCU this morning, decided to check it out and see that vets who aren'tI retired can now join.

Filled out the app online all the way thru to depositing $ 100 to join and was all finished when notice popped up that it could not be processed at this time, and all info disappeared.

Later I decided to call NFCU and try to do it over phone. Told nice lady what had happened, and then mentioned I had recently put freeze on, and she said, yep, that would do it. Said I would have to lift the freeze before I could be approved. She said she didn;t know which bureau they used so I'd need to call all of them.

Thought I'd share this little tidbit as    I    found out today these credit freezes seem to be effective as far as a new account.. After reading posts about NFCU this morning, decided to check it out and see that vets who aren'tI retired can now join.

Filled out the app online all the way thru to depositing $ 100 to join and was all finished when notice popped up that it could not be processed at this time, and all info disappeared.

Later I decided to call NFCU and try to do it over phone. Told nice lady what had happened, and then mentioned I had recently put freeze on, and she said, yep, that would do it. Said I would have to lift the freeze before I could be approved. She said she didn;t know which bureau they used so I'd need to call all of them.

That is why it is best to freeze your credit only after you have decided that you have all the credit you need. Can be a hassle to unfreeze your credit, get your new card or mortgage or whatever and then go back and refreeze it again.

That is why it is best to freeze your credit only after you have decided that you have all the credit you need. Can be a hassle to unfreeze your credit, get your new card or mortgage or whatever and then go back and refreeze it again.

Yeah I know and don't need any more credit, was just hoping to be able to deposit some funds into  NFCU savings account.

Wasn't thinking about them needing to ck credit because I just wanted to deposit $ w/them. Forgot that banks/financial institutions always pull credit report.

Yeah I know and don't need any more credit, was just hoping to be able to deposit some funds into  NFCU savings account.

Wasn't thinking about them needing to ck credit because I just wanted to deposit $ w/them. Forgot that banks/financial institutions always pull credit report.

I had no idea that would be a problem.  Thanks for the tip

... as I am over 65 years old.

People, we are talkin' waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy over 65, too. 

I know, Billy. Don't mention it. Happy to help. 

• Haha 1