Alk

Drivers license advice....

I lived in Dumaguete last year.   I went through the DL process there and got a temporary Drivers License in April.  Every  time i returned to the LTO and asked for the permanent one they just laughed and said they had no idea when plastic ones would arrive.  I finally moved to Cebu at the end of 2016 without one.  

I just got stopped by a traffic officer for making an illegal left turn (there was a no left turn 4-7pm sign that was impossible to see).  He asked for my license.  When i checked in my glove compartment for my temporary license, it was nowhere to be found.   I did a song and dance and the guy was nice enough to let me go after he made me sweat by threatening me for about 5 minutes,.  I realize I may not be so lucky next time.

I'm wondering what I should do next about getting my license.  I don't want to drive all the way to Dumaguete to pick up the one I paid for, especially since there is no guarantee it will be there when i arrive.  I'm thinking of just going through  the process in Cebu City again, and getting a new license here.

What is the best office in Cebu City to get this done (I live in the Lahug area)?  Googling it, it seems the closest location is SM Mall.   Any tips for making the process here as painless as possible would be appreciated.  How much time should I allocate for the process.

Thanks in advance...

Edited by Alk

What I have heard is that the one at SM City is always busy busy

The main LTO for region 7 is here at the center the map

https://www.google.dk/maps/@10.298212,123.8928638,21z

street view 

https://www.google.dk/maps/@10.2984907,123.8928332,3a,75y,187.61h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smPA2ROHnv9Tpxm62O5VojA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

the blue building

entrance is to the right of the A1 driving school, through the gate 

I took a copy of my temp license put in the car 

the original is in my passport

Maybe you will have to pay replacement fee  ???????

APPLICATION FOR DUPLICATE LICENSE (Valid license)

http://www.lto.gov.ph/license-permit-issuance/292-drivers-license-and-permit-fees-and-charges.html

The ONLY LTO office in the Cebu Metro area that consistently has the plastic drivers licenses is the main Cebu LTO near E Mall. If you decide to go to any other office, you should ask if they have plastic licenses available BEFORE you pay them anything. As a matter of fact, that wouldn't be a bad idea even at the main Cebu LTO, since things can change.

Edited by Headshot

I think it could take some time before plastic is available in Cebu

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2017/08/29/1733792/lto-start-distribution-5-year-drivers-license-cards

LTO to start distribution of 5-year driver’s license cards

By Romina Cabrera (The Philippine Star) | Updated August 29, 2017 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - The Land Transportation Office (LTO) in Quezon City will start distributing driver’s licenses valid for five years.

Drivers who will renew or apply for license will now be issued plastic cards by the LTO

Romeo Vera Cruz, executive director of the LTO, told The STAR that the driver’s licenses with five years validity are now ready for distribution after they have finished printing the cards. 

But Vera Cruz clarified that they would initially distribute the driver’s license for new applicants and for those who have applied for renewal in the National Capital Region (NCR) only. 

Holders of “paper driver’s licenses,” who registered from October up to last week will be issued their plastic cards by batches starting next month due to a system adjustment between IT contractors. 

The rollout of five-year licenses will start with the NCR at the LTO’s Central Office in Quezon City and will be implemented in other regions and branches by next month. 

The backlog on five-year valid licenses is already at 3.6 million nationwide, of which a million is tallied in Metro Manila, data from the LTO showed. 

On orders of President Duterte, the LTO issued an administrative order extending the validity of license cards from three years to five years in October last year. 

The printing of five-year license cards will be under the new P829.6-million license card deal between the LTO and the joint venture of Dermalog Identification Systems, CFP Strategic Transaction Advisors and Nextix Inc. 

The agreement was signed on April 7, 2016 for the procurement, printing and delivery of six million license cards. 

The LTO completed delivery of three-year license cards in July after it tallied a three-million backlog last year. 

The agency was able to address the backlog seven months after it started the printing and distribution in December under a P186-million deal with its last provider, AllCard Philippines.  

Vera Cruz said that they are prioritizing the distribution of driver’s license to current applicants.  

In October 2015, the Manila RTC issued a writ of injunction against the LTO’s driver’s license project with AllCard Plastics Philippines Inc. due to a questionable contract, causing long delay in the distribution of licenses.  

The Manila RTC lifted the injunction in June last year. 

In September last year, the LTO mulled reordering more than 1.1 million driver’s licenses from AllCard to address the backlog, but this was later withdrawn due to some legal predicaments.  

Vera Cruz said that the LTO has opted to undergo the regular procurement process for the driver’s license instead of reordering from AllCard. 

AllCard bagged the P336-million contract to supply the LTO with five million driver’s licenses in 2015. – With Robertzon Ramirez

TO with five million driver’s licenses in 2015. – With Robertzon Ramirez

12 hours ago, Alk said:

Googling it, it seems the closest location is SM Mall.

I believe the SM LTO office is just renewal so I don't think they can help you unless you have the OR from Dumaguete.

• Like 1

when I first got here, I went to LTO, south bus terminal, and showed my US license, and they gave me a Philippine one. I had a Philippine license in 1977, but was advised not to mention that as they would want that original, and it was not going to be available all these years later, so maybe not mention Duma?

Found this.

http://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/services/driverslicense/how-to-convert-a-foreign-license-to-a-philippine-license/

How to convert a foreign license to a Philippine license

Summary

[Basahin sa Filipino]

A driver’s license is an official document authorizing an individual to drive a motorized vehicle in the Philippines. The Land Transportation Office issues three types of driver’s licenses: student permit, non-professional driver’s license, and professional driver’s license.

Visit www.lto.gov.ph for more information.

Click for more government services and procedures.

Back to driver's license

Non-professional

Professional

Requirements:

Original and one photocopy of valid foreign license. If the foreign driver’s license is not in English, the applicant should submit an official English translation from the local embassy of the issuing country.

Original copy of valid passport showing the latest date of arrival in the Philippines of the foreign applicant.

Original and machine copy of valid visa or alien certificate of registration (ACR) if the foreign applicant temporarily resides in the Philippines.

Original copy of medical certificate with official receipt issued by an LTO accredited or government Physician.

Negative drug test result issued by DOH accredited drug testing center or government hospitals

Duly accomplished application for driver’s license (ADL). [Download this form here]

Taxpayer’s Identification Number (TIN), if employed, (In compliance to Executive Order 98 & MC ACL-2009-1251)

Note: If Foreign License is expired, applicant shall undergo written and practical examinations.

Procedures:

Go to the customer service counter to get your checklist of requirements and secure a driver’s license application form. [This form is available for download here. You can accomplish this form prior to transacting your business at the LTO.] Get a queue number.

When your number is called, go to the evaluator counter and submit all the required documents and have it checked for completeness and authenticity.

When your name is called, go to where your photo and signature will be taken.

Go to the cashier to pay the application fee.

Go to the examination room for the lecture and written exam.

After passing the written exam, wait for your name to be called for the practical exam.

After passing the practical exam, go to the Cashier when your name is called for payment of necessary fees and obtain an official receipt (OR).

Go to the releasing counter, wait for your name to be called and present the OR and claim the card type license.

Venue:

Any licensing center / District office with driver’s license transactions

Fees and Charges:

Valid Foreign License

(No Examination)

Expired Foreign License

Application Fee: P100.00

Valid Foreign License(No Examination)Expired Foreign License

Application FeeP100.00

Computer FeeP67.63

License FeeP350.00P350.00

Conversion FeeP100.00P100.00