Flakes

How good is ur Visaya or Tagalog?

Which Dialect are u more comfortable with? and In which dialect u know the most words?

Visayan.. gamay gamay

Tagalog..  z ero

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

Visayan.. gamay gamay

Tagalog..  z ero

So u just arrived?

Visayan.  I bought an online course which worked very well for me.  I can understand some Tagalog but am definitely more comfortable with Visayan.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Busted Dick said:

Visayan.  I bought an online course which worked very well for me.  I can understand some Tagalog but am definitely more comfortable with Visayan.

My emphasis is on Visaya or is it Bisaya?

Which online course are you referring to?

It can be either; we foreigners might call it Visayan, after all it is the language of the Visayas.  However local pronunciation usually has it as Bisayan.  Same difference.

I used Bud Brown's Essential Cebuano course; unfortunately he stopped supporting it a while ago and the website no longer appears to exist which is a shame.

31 minutes ago, Busted Dick said:

It can be either; we foreigners might call it Visayan, after all it is the language of the Visayas.  However local pronunciation usually has it as Bisayan.  Same difference.

I used Bud Brown's Essential Cebuano course; unfortunately he stopped supporting it a while ago and the website no longer appears to exist which is a shame.

I bought his program too, after recommendations here. I wonder what happened?

Dunno.  The man himself is OK; he has a YouTube channel and sometimes posts on there.  When he said he was no longer supporting Essential Cebuano I emailed him asking if it was ok to distribute it (free) to others; he never replied.

• Thanks 1

Thats kind of a bummer as I believe that was part of the deal when I signed up... that the program would be supported and expanded, at least that's what I recall...I could be wrong on that.

I have lived 15 months in Jakarta and still remember some bahasa indonesia sentences. That language might be simular to here ? If i would learn 500 basic words it might be very handy. But even tough  living in Cebu i guess i will choose Tagalog?

Edited by Flakes
  • Like 1